Packers release Mike Daniels

fortdetroit

8 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Unless he did something worthy of him being released 1 night prior to the start of training camp this just seems like a bush league move from the Packers organization.  I mean why didn't they do this earlier in the offseason?

Any way whatever the case it is surprising that a pretty darn good player in Daniels just entered the market.

It's a puzzling move, on many levels. It also suggests Gutekunst isn't convinced he can compete in the playoffs this year...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

I'm down I dont have confidence in Cousins and yall might finish last in that division honestly 

I think I'm going to bow out on getting involved in any sig bets.  It's not that I don't believe the Vikings could lose more games, but I just don't want to have any reasons not to cheer for the Browns this year.  I'm really hoping they have a great season because their fan base has earned it with their loyalty.

I really don't know what to think about the Vikings.  As others have said, they could win the division and make a deep playoff run, or they could also have the wheels fall off and finish in the cellar.  I don't want to hijack this thread, though, so I'll just leave it at that.  Best of luck to both teams in 2019!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

It's a puzzling move, on many levels. It also suggests Gutekunst isn't convinced he can compete in the playoffs this year...

It's not really confusing at all. Many thought he would be a cap casualty this year. His inability to pass a physical would dictate his release timeline.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Only a Vikings fan would come up with this as their reasoning. 

A 30yr old who's shown some regression and is coming off a serious injury, especially for a big man. I body type not typically preferred for the specific system. The confidence in players like Clark, Lowry, Montravius Adams and Lancaster, the additions of Z Smith, P Smith and Rashan Gary. Then factor in we were paying him 10mil this season and saved 8.3mil by cutting him when we did, after trying to work out trade deals with him. 

But yeah, it must only be because Gutey doesn't think the Packers can compete in the playoffs this year. LOL. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

A 30yr old who's shown some regression and is coming off a serious injury, especially for a big man. I body type not typically preferred for the specific system. The confidence in players like Clark, Lowry, Montravius Adams and Lancaster, the additions of Z Smith, P Smith and Rashan Gary. Then factor in we were paying him 10mil this season and saved 8.3mil by cutting him when we did, after trying to work out trade deals with him. 

But yeah, it must only be because Gutey doesn't think the Packers can compete in the playoffs this year. LOL. 

Saved money and upgraded with a younger prospect, I see nothing wrong with the move. The question just becomes why do teams wait until the day of training camp or possibly a day ahead without giving players notice? Especially if no major trades are made.

11 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Saved money and upgraded with a younger prospect, I see nothing wrong with the move. The question just becomes why do teams wait until the day of training camp or possibly a day ahead without giving players notice? Especially if no major trades are made.

They were waiting for him to pass a physical. You are not going to tell the player that he is up for a trade or they are getting released as the agent would leak this almost immediately. 

4 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

They were waiting for him to pass a physical. You are not going to tell the player that he is up for a trade or they are getting released as the agent would leak this almost immediately. 

So he basically knew he was gonna be released once he couldn't pass his physical I'm assuming. 

7 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

So he basically knew he was gonna be released once he couldn't pass his physical I'm assuming. 

The opposite if I am understanding correctly. If he didn't pass his physical, the Packers would have to pay him all of his remaining salary if released. Since he passed the physical he could be released without having to payout the full remaining contract. If he failed his physical, I would assume the Packers wouldn't have released him.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

The opposite if I am understanding correctly. If he didn't pass his physical, the Packers would have to pay him all of his remaining salary if released. Since he passed the physical he could be released without having to payout the full remaining contract. If he failed his physical, I would assume the Packers wouldn't have released him.

I'm lost but ok. Mason Foster was released Wednesday from the Skins roster and some where saying that was the team doing him dirty. Than Daniels got released the sameway so I was just seeing if it was any truth to that possibly. 

Just now, Skins212689 said:

I'm lost but ok. Mason Foster was released Wednesday from the Skins roster and some where saying that was the team doing him dirty. Than Daniels got released the sameway so I was just seeing if it was any truth to that possibly. 

I don't think either team was doing anything shady. But I am not sure the exact details of Foster's release. I know Daniels had his season end early last year because of injury.  It was my understanding that because of this, the Packers needed to wait until he passed a physical to release him. Otherwise with a failed physical his remaining contract would become fully guaranteed upon release. This was my understanding based on the discussions happening on the Packer forum. I am not sure if Foster also fell into this criteria.

8 minutes ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

I don't think either team was doing anything shady. But I am not sure the exact details of Foster's release. I know Daniels had his season end early last year because of injury.  It was my understanding that because of this, the Packers needed to wait until he passed a physical to release him. Otherwise with a failed physical his remaining contract would become fully guaranteed upon release. This was my understanding based on the discussions happening on the Packer forum. I am not sure if Foster also fell into this criteria.

Hit the nail on the head. 

12 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Heinz is a Vikings fan? Sweet!!

• Like 2