Packers release Mike Daniels

fortdetroit

15 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Only a Vikings fan would come up with this as their reasoning. 

A 30yr old who's shown some regression and is coming off a serious injury, especially for a big man. I body type not typically preferred for the specific system. The confidence in players like Clark, Lowry, Montravius Adams and Lancaster, the additions of Z Smith, P Smith and Rashan Gary. Then factor in we were paying him 10mil this season and saved 8.3mil by cutting him when we did, after trying to work out trade deals with him. 

But yeah, it must only be because Gutey doesn't think the Packers can compete in the playoffs this year. LOL. 

Don't forget, you're gonna have to get there first....

4 hours ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

It was my understanding that because of this, the Packers needed to wait until he passed a physical to release him. Otherwise with a failed physical his remaining contract would become fully guaranteed upon release

what incentive would a player have to pass a physical then?

12 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

what incentive would a player have to pass a physical then?

If a previously injured player who went on IR wants to play again, he has to pass a physical.
Either with his current team or his new team. Its also a part of any trades that happen

20 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's not really confusing at all. Many thought he would be a cap casualty this year. His inability to pass a physical would dictate his release timeline.

I hadn't read anything about him being a cap casualty. What was the reasoning?

20 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Only a Vikings fan would come up with this as their reasoning. 

A 30yr old who's shown some regression and is coming off a serious injury, especially for a big man. I body type not typically preferred for the specific system. The confidence in players like Clark, Lowry, Montravius Adams and Lancaster, the additions of Z Smith, P Smith and Rashan Gary. Then factor in we were paying him 10mil this season and saved 8.3mil by cutting him when we did, after trying to work out trade deals with him. 

But yeah, it must only be because Gutey doesn't think the Packers can compete in the playoffs this year. LOL. 

Teams that don't need cap space desperately don't release good players if they think they can make a Super Bowl run. Was Daniels NOT a good player? Seems like he was still pretty solid, to me. Maybe their rookie looks good so far, but it's a gamble to move on from a proven vet to rookie--if you're thinking Super Bowl.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He's not a Vikings fan, but he is a troll.

Yeah. I'm a troll. 

All class as always, CWood21...

9 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Heinz is a Vikings fan? Sweet!!

It was meant as a joke to both Viking fans and Heinz himself. 

How ironic, a Viking fan grabbed the lure lightly, shook it and spit it out, figured UB would've taken it and ran the line. 

I think the biggest joke now after catching up is, Daniels publicly announced he wanted to join a Superbowl contending team. And didn't join the Vikes or Bears to get his spite vs the Packers... so he joined the Lions. O.o

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

It was meant as a joke to both Viking fans and Heinz himself. 

How ironic, a Viking fan grabbed the lure lightly, shook it and spit it out, figured UB would've taken it and ran the line. 

I think the biggest joke now after catching up is, Daniels publicly announced he wanted to join a Superbowl contending team. And didn't join the Vikes or Bears to get his spite vs the Packers... so he joined the Lions. O.o

His next move was sort of agreed upon by the media..."to a contender".  So it's all weird. The Lions gave him a lot of cash, though. That probably trumped everything else. 

17 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Teams that don't need cap space desperately don't release good players if they think they can make a Super Bowl run. Was Daniels NOT a good player? Seems like he was still pretty solid, to me. Maybe their rookie looks good so far, but it's a gamble to move on from a proven vet to rookie--if you're thinking Super Bowl.

He was an above-average player, who was costing the Packers $10M this year.  Instead, they saved $8M by releasing him.  You're trying miserably to try to make this a 1-for-1 comparison, but there's way more moving parts than you choose to admit.  If this deal allows the Packers to sign Kenny Clark long-term, would this not be a HUGE win for the Packers?  This same stupid argument was made when the Packers let T.J. Lang walk as a FA or when they released Josh Sitton, and both times the Packers were proven right.  But by your logic, the Packers are already waiving the white flag.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Turns out that whole wants to go to a contender thing was overblown.

I mean, I don't blame him for going to Detroit.  He chased money and he gets to play Green Bay twice a year.  He's only 29 years old, so he's probably got one more long-term contract in him, so I don't blame him for trying to put himself in a position to try and get that last big payday.  I would have hoped he had learned something from Josh Sitton, but Mike Daniels was always one of the fan favorites.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He was an above-average player, who was costing the Packers $10M this year.  Instead, they saved $8M by releasing him.  You're trying miserably to try to make this a 1-for-1 comparison, but there's way more moving parts than you choose to admit.  If this deal allows the Packers to sign Kenny Clark long-term, would this not be a HUGE win for the Packers?  This same stupid argument was made when the Packers let T.J. Lang walk as a FA or when they released Josh Sitton, and both times the Packers were proven right.  But by your logic, the Packers are already waiving the white flag.

He was better than above average, and made the Pro Bowl. And unless they're extending Kenny Clark right away, the money doesn't really factor into it. There could well be some other signing Gutekunst thinks he can do (via a trade, or come cut-down time) that I'm unaware of--and that would go a long way towards explaining things. But otherwise, yeah, it looks pretty bad. He was one of their better players (when healthy, of course). Also, for what it's worth, this is, to me, a far more baffling move than what happened with Lang or Sitton.