Mike Daniels released

Leader

Herman: My quick thoughts on the Daniels release: He’s coming off a tough injury and was due $10.7 million. By cutting him you save $8.3 million. The truth is when they made their huge free agent signings they needed to find a way to save somewhere else. This is a part of that.

It’s possible Daniels wanted an extension & things were at an impasse. If they felt coming off of injury he wasn’t worth the $10 mil contract they would want to move on. The truth is that this move hurts the defense as he was undoubtedly one of their best players when healthy.

Edited by Leader

Jason Wilde: Props to Tom Silverstein, who back in February/March posited that this might happen. Still, hard not to be surprised. Couldn't find a trade partner? Concern about injuries going forward? Per Spotrac, had $7.6M base, $10.7M cap number for 2019.

Edited by Leader

Wow, did not see this coming this soon.  

Hopefully the savings gets put into a Kenny Clark extension immediately or I don't understand this move given how little Adams has shown thus far in his NFL career.  

Reminds me a little of the way we parted with Josh Sitton.  

Edited by SSG

4 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Can someone explain to me why we do this? Do we now use the money saved to extend someone else?

Could be a lot of things. Injuries, want to get other players on the field, saving money for someone else like Clark. Only thing I would be shocked if it was a problem in the LR.