Mike Daniels released

Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Might want to recalibrate thoughts on whether or not Graham gets the axe......
(Just kidding.....kinda)

Don't see it.  The depth at TE is terrible, much worse than defensive line and we're not saving nearly as much with the roster move.  

Waukesha Sportscards:  Clearance Sale! All MIKE DANIELS Autographed items are 50-75% OFF now until supplies last. Limited supplies on most items including Photos, Mini Helmets, Jerseys, Full Size Helmets, Footballs, Etc..

Clearly had no future here like Sitton or Lang, I'll reserve the total freakout I want to have because I did so after the Sitton move and it really was the right move. Must want to commit long-term to another young player this camp (Clark or Martinez) and that money is needed to do so.

• Like 1

Ben Fennell:  Mike Daniels was a hard working/underdog 4th round pick in 2012 (crazy that was 7 years ago and he's now 30 years old)... Making way for promising youth is part of the equation in building your roster. Kenny Clark was hyping up Montravius Adams earlier this offseason

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Clearly had no future here like Sitton or Lang, I'll reserve the total freakout I want to have because I did so after the Sitton move and it really was the right move. Must want to commit long-term to another young player this camp (Clark or Martinez) and that money is needed to do so.

The inability to sign good players to tradeable contracts or to actually trade them is a worrisome trend.  Mike Daniels has 3-5 years of starter left in the league, even if it's not impact starter.

Makes no friggin sense that he can't be moved for a 5th round pick. 

• Like 1

I obviously see why it was done, and I really want to agree with the decision, but when do we stop making decisions for the "future" and put it all together to win now? That is somewhat of a short-sighted take but are we saying by moving on from Daniels it gives us the best chance to win this year? Are we admitting our super bowl chances weren't great with a first year head coach? Feels like more of a Thompson move, but in Gute I do trust.

Couple of thoughts concerning this...

He was injured and due a sizeable contract.  We all know that.

He's been injury prone the past few years.

While he's had some amazing games (Seahawks a couple years ago) he would also disappear when he wasn't 100% healthy.

Guessing GB feels like...

a) Young kids are ready to step up.  Lancaster/Adams

b) There's still veteran DL help available that is probably lower cost.  Liuget.  Mo Wilkerson.

c) Non-traditional guys may take that spot in pass rush sets.  Z Smith, R. Gary.

Personally, I hope they sign Liuget or Mo or find another capable veteran DL.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

only a third down player now, makes sense if they feel that way

lol, "only" a 3rd down rusher is not only wrong about daniels, its also somehow also wrong about how the NFL values players.

If he has an effective sub rusher, he's well worth the 10M.  He's probably not though.  He's more of a 1st/2nd down guy now, which is the real reason he isn't worth 10M.  Even then, the move was to shop him at the draft, not to shop him now.  You can't make cap related roster moves in July.  You just can't.  You need to have a strategic plan when you enter free agency, and a few levers to pull to get that extra cap space.  If Daniels was that lever, then it needs to be pulled EARLY when he has value and teams have space.