Mike Daniels released

Leader

Only way this makes sense is if Gute is committed to being able to make in-season moves when they are needed and/or he's trying to make a move before the start of the season. 

If he signs with the Patriots, it's Fire Gute for real for me. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I cant believe they couldnt find a trade partner. I didnt see another contract but I thought he'd make it through the year..

Only Ted Thompson gets blamed for this. Gute can cut whoever he wants.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The inability to sign good players to tradeable contracts or to actually trade them is a worrisome trend.  Mike Daniels has 3-5 years of starter left in the league, even if it's not impact starter.

Makes no friggin sense that he can't be moved for a 5th round pick. 

That's a video game type of trade not generally one that occurs in the NFL.  He was an expensive, declining, veteran who's coming off a bad year and is on his last year of his deal.  I can't think of many examples of that sort of trade occurring in the NFL muchless for a 5th rounder.  Heck, Jordan Howard was traded for a 6th.  He was a cheap 24 year old, 1100 yard per season rusher who averaged 8 TDs a year.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

probably should have cut crosby instead if we wanted to win this year.  Keep daniels, lose crosby, win win win.

How many hours a day so you spend thinking about Mason Crosby? 10? 11?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Only way this makes sense is if Gute is committed to being able to make in-season moves when they are needed and/or he's trying to make a move before the start of the season. 

C'mon patriots. I need more followers in the cult of fire gute

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He is making room to trade for Melvin Gordon...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Only Ted Thompson gets blamed for this. Gute can cut whoever he wants.

I mean when we signed Zadarius and drafted Gary this became a possibility because when was Daniels going to play? His prime role was on 3rd down and his snaps drop even more when you're sliding Z inside on those downs. Hard to pay him $10m for that...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SSG said:

That's a video game type of trade not generally one that occurs in the NFL.  He was an expensive, declining, veteran who's coming off a bad year and is on his last year of his deal.  I can't think of many examples of that sort of trade occurring in the NFL muchless for a 5th rounder.  Heck, Jordan Howard was traded for a 6th.  He was a cheap 24 year old, 1100 yard per season rusher who averaged 8 TDs a year.  

we'll see.  Just watch the contract he signs, which will be an indicator of the demand for him.  

The acquiring team would only be on the hook for about 8M rather than 10M, btw.  I get it when Suh is only getting 9.25M and McCoy only 8M.  Daniels isn't on that level.

Jordan Howard is a RB.  RB has no value.

6 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Who cares how much it saves us at this point? It's the last year of his deal. What a ridiculous move.

I hate the move but if that 8 million is moved to Kenny Clark allowing us to extend him right now it's not all that ridiculous.  If this move was made because of the Lowry signing then I fully agree.  Lowry is a piss poor pass rusher who will never be anything more than a rotational defensive lineman.  The chances of him making a dime more then we just gave him on the open market was pretty slim IMO.  

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The inability to sign good players to tradeable contracts or to actually trade them is a worrisome trend.  Mike Daniels has 3-5 years of starter left in the league, even if it's not impact starter.

Makes no friggin sense that he can't be moved for a 5th round pick. 

This happens all over the league. Last year of a deal is never packed with value. I disagree on your timetable, Daniels has 2 years left.

2 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

With that lower half... I certainly hope not. 

Gordon is top heavy as can be. 

I was merely joking... this screams cap space for Packer players (Clark, Blake, David, etc).

Im sure either they did this as a nice gesture to Mike so he can be in a camp from the start... or he was due some crazy amount of cash before or during camp that they wanted to make sure they didn’t pay.