Mike Daniels released

Leader

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

I hate the move but if that 8 million is moved to Kenny Clark allowing us to extend him right now it's not all that ridiculous.  If this move was made because of the Lowry signing then I fully agree.  Lowry is a piss poor pass rusher who will never be anything more than a rotational defensive lineman.  The chances of him making a dime more then we just gave him on the open market was pretty slim IMO.  

Lowry would get more guaranteed money on the open market which is all that matters with his deal.

Tom Silverstein: LaFleur on Mike Daniels: I know he's meant a lot to this community, this football team. I still think he's a really good player. I wish him well. But we feel really, really good about the group we have.

37 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Clearly had no future here like Sitton or Lang, I'll reserve the total freakout I want to have because I did so after the Sitton move and it really was the right move. Must want to commit long-term to another young player this camp (Clark or Martinez) and that money is needed to do so.

Sitton and Lang were injuries waiting to happen.  They were both still scheme fits.  Mike has 4 or 5 decent years left in the tank - in a  4-3 where he can play a 1 gap 3T.  

He got pushed around in the run game last year more than I was ever used to seeing.  Pettine had him playing a different role as well - probably more 2 gap than what we saw at the end of Capers run, but I could be wrong there.  

I'll be rooting for Daniels wherever he goes.  He was a fantastic Packer and I'll miss the heck out of his leadership and tenacity.  I get the move, but I sure as heck hope that he has better success away from the Packers than Sitton and Lang had.  

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Lowry would get more guaranteed money on the open market which is all that matters with his deal.

That's speculation IMO.  Dean Lowry is a rotational big man that is a piss poor pass rusher.  He got a the same sort of overall and guaranteed money as Denico Autry got on the Free Agent market despite not having the same pass rushing ability. 

Think we are trying to love the Lowry deal when in reality that isn't a contract that needed to get done if we were going to be paying market value.  

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

That's speculation IMO.  Dean Lowry is a rotational big man that is a piss poor pass rusher.  He got a the same sort of overall and guaranteed money as Denico Autry got on the Free Agent market despite not having the same pass rushing ability. 

Think we are trying to love the Lowry deal when in reality that isn't a contract that needed to get done if we were going to be paying market value.  

You're putting far too much love into Denico's game for a guy who swears off 1 year production types...

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Remember when I said Mike Daniels would get cut before Jimmy Graham and I was called an idiot by everyone who says I'm too mean?  I remember. 

I'd be willing to bet I criticized that comment.  At the same time, I think it was likely made before Z Smith was signed and R Gary was drafted...

35 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

lol, "only" a 3rd down rusher is not only wrong about daniels, its also somehow also wrong about how the NFL values players.

If he has an effective sub rusher, he's well worth the 10M.  He's probably not though.  He's more of a 1st/2nd down guy now, which is the real reason he isn't worth 10M.  Even then, the move was to shop him at the draft, not to shop him now.  You can't make cap related roster moves in July.  You just can't.  You need to have a strategic plan when you enter free agency, and a few levers to pull to get that extra cap space.  If Daniels was that lever, then it needs to be pulled EARLY when he has value and teams have space.

He probably isn’t passing a physical in March

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

Lowry and Daniels are different players, though.  Lowry won't be asked to take on Daniels' pass rush production.  That will go to Z Smith, R Gary, and Keke.  

I'm not going to criticize the DL moves yet.  7 or 8 years ago when Ted cut Lawrence Guy I remember saying that he was the ultimate JAG.  And then Guy turned out to be one of the best DL in the league.  It doesn't happen overnight.  He wasn't close to the player he became.  DL take time.  With young guys like Lancaster, Adams, and Lowry I'm a bit more willing to grant that time to develop after watching Lawrence Guy become who he is.  

• Like 2

I do think this has a lot to do with bringing guys like Adam's, Lancaster, and Keke into the fold while also using our new EDGE players to play inside more. I think the biggest thing that stings is Daniel's leadership and precense. But the injuries and his declining play probably factored a bit.

Edited by Gopackgonerd