Mike Daniels released

Leader

3 hours ago, jleisher said:

Well, Daniels is gone.  Which one out of the three is next, Bulaga, Crosby or TWill?  Look for another surprise here.  Someone made the comment that Spriggs wouldn't be cut, couldn't find it.  My point on that is,  anyone can get cut at anytime.  Spriggs hasn't done anything to make his job safe.

That was me and he won't.

We agreed with Z'Smith on March 12th the day before the opening of free agency with rumors leading up to that date.

It was confirmed in the media that we failed to land Malik Jackson on March 11th. He was cut so he was free to negotiate with anyone right away and it was in his best interest to sign the best possible deal before the start of free agency.

The timing of those dates suggest our main targets were Jackson and either Z'Smith or P'Smith. I suspect it was Z'Smith they wanted because the Packers tried to trade for him in the past. I would find it very difficult to believe we would've attempted to sign all three.  For that amount of coin I don't think we would've been able to sign Turner or Amos had that happened.

Since it appears that the Packers were trying to move on from Daniels for months I subscribe to the theory that the Packers were looking to package him with picks in order to trade up in the draft. This does suggest that Gary wasn't our first choice had we traded up. It was probably one of White/Hockenson/Bush. Definitely not Ed Oliver as he does not fit Gute's current M.O.

Since we failed to trade up signing Gary made sense as we failed to sign Malik Jackson and were in the process of trying to move on from Daniels.

Putting it extremely simply (i'm aware it's much more complicated than this):

Plan A: Sign Jackson & Z'Smith, Trade up and draft one of White/Hockenson/Bush

Plan B: Sign Jackson & Z'Smith, Stay at our spot and draft one of White/Hockenson/Bush/Gary

Plan C: Sign Z'Smith & P'Smith, Trade up and draft one of White/Hockenson/Bush

Plan D: Sign Z'Smith & P'Smith, Stay at our spot and draft one of White/Hockenson/Bush/Gary - This is essentially where we ended up.

Had we failed to sign any of Jackson, Z'Smith and P'Smith. I wonder what our free agency would've looked like. Maybe we would've attempted to sign Landon Collins instead of Amos. Maybe Anthony Barr would've been a pass rush option but  he doesn't fit the size/type requirement the Packers were looking for. We dipped our foot in the Tashaun Gipson pool as he was free to sign before free agency opened, had we signed him maybe Amos doesn't happen. Maybe we sign both and the trade up for Savage does not happen. So many endless possibilities and I haven't even begun to consider trade downs, my mind is melting!

Edit: Would we have signed Lowry to a contract extension had we signed Malik Jackson?

Edited by Chili

30 minutes ago, Norm said:

That was me and he won't.

Where's this misplaced confidence coming from? Spriggs has done nothing to show he is worth keeping. He might fit LaFleur scheme much better but the fact remains he has not shown any NFL starting ability in his career and Gute is currently in the habit of moving on underperforming players from the old regime. He's squarely in the crosshairs.

If there is anyone to keep an eye on as a potential backup OT then Madison, De Beer and Nijman are the guys to look out for.

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

Where's this misplaced confidence coming from? Spriggs has done nothing to show he is worth keeping. He might fit LaFleur scheme much better but the fact remains he has not shown any NFL starting ability in his career and Gute is currently in the habit of moving on underperforming players from the old regime. He's squarely in the crosshairs.

If there is anyone to keep an eye on as a potential backup OT then Madison, De Beer and Nijman are the guys to look out for.

Sure. Yeah. Those guys should be looked out for and he's done NOTHING to show with keeping. Yep. Sure. This totally is sane.  All those other guys, they've shown so much starting potential. Every time there's some disappointing pick all the turds gotta act like any UDFA rando can be as good. Gets so old.

Spriggs is the best 3rd tackle on this team. If he's out right cut, not traded, not IRd, just gets cut, I'll become a Vikings fan and post there every single day forever for being wrong.

Madison isn't even working at tackle is he?

I know you're mad that Ted players are still on the team but c'mon.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Norm said:

Spriggs is the best 3rd tackle on this team. If he's out right cut, not traded, not IRd, just gets cut, I'll become a Vikings fan and post there every single day forever for being wrong.

Quoted for future reference.