Training Camp 2019 News & Updates

TwoUpTwoDown

On 8/6/2019 at 1:45 PM, Hockey5djh said:
On 8/6/2019 at 12:51 PM, Hockey5djh said:

Just read something today that said Jones and Maddox were flipping between the slot and the outside at the end of last week. Hopefully this isn't any indication against Darby being ready for the regular season.

12:48 p.m. — Sidney Jones takes snaps as the slot cornerback in the nickel package. Jones spent most of last summer in the slot and has been on the outside most of this summer. I’d keep him on the outside and try to maximize his skill set. The coaches have rotated Jones and Avonte Maddox at times this summer, including during this practice. Of course, they like to have different combinations prepared. Rasul Douglas, though, stays on the outside.

Outside of the big names Josh Hawkins is getting a lot of recognition as well for splash plays.

• The starting corners today were Rasul Douglas and Avonte Maddox in the base package. Sidney Jones came on as the nickel. 

11:05 a.m. — Cornerback Ronald Darby is back with the team for 7-on-7s, the first time he’s been in these drills this summer. Even though the offense took a hit on the injury front with Johnson and Goedert, it’s a good sign for the defense that it’s getting starters back. Darby still needs to advance to full-team work and play in a game, but his progress is a positive. He’ll soon force the coaching staff to make tough decisions about playing time in the secondary.

For today, Maddox works as the left corner and Jones works inside. Also notable: During the defensive group install period, Darby lined up as the first-team right cornerback in Douglas’ place.

A few more CB updates. Jones seems to be locking down the Nickel job as originally reported. Maddox is getting work outside. Douglas might be the one getting the shaft.

12 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Thinking if Bringing my Wife up for the USA vs Portugal friendly Aug 29th. Recommendations on where to stay hotel wise that won't destroy the wallet, relatively close to either the field walk/drive or Transportation to to Linc? General good area to be in all around Food, bars, ect.

Also what sections to sit or avoid. Tickets preferably under $150-200 a piece? Thanks!!!

I'll be there with a group of people, we paid $50ish a ticket after fees for lower level tickets. I'm with @Jroc04 though, try and get middle of the field if you can, they'll be your best bet. @Jroc04

• Like 1

10:45 a.m. – Time for some offensive line/defensive line one-on-ones, which offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland was excited to contextualize during a recent media availability.

“Everybody wants to watch one-on-ones,” Stoutland said. “That’s like going to a gunfight with rocks. I mean, you’re kicking backwards, (the defensive linemen) are going full speed, there’s no threat of a run. … So, if you do well in a one-on-one drill, if you dominate in a one-on-one drill, if you can do well in a one-on-one drill consistently, you’re really good. Really good. Because you’re up against it. There’s no draw threats, there’s no screen threats, there’s no run threats. It’s just ‘Giddy up, let’s go.’

“It’s almost like taking poison every day. If you go into a one-on-one drill and you start altering what you’re being taught because it’s so quick on you, so you start doing different things than what you’re being coached, now you create habits, bad habits. … Because when I saw these players, the pass sets in team drill compared to a one-on-one, it’s different. It’s not even close. There’s so many more things going on in a defensive mind when you’re in a team drill than there is in a one-on-one drill. So, I try very hard, I say, ‘Look, we’re up against it here. Don’t worry about getting beat, just take the line I’m telling you to take, based on where he’s at.'”

With that in mind, this was an impressive session for Jordan Mailata, who struggled early in camp but has turned things on of late and is working as the first-team right tackle in team drills in Lane Johnson’s absence. He held his own against Brandon Graham, easily rode Shareef Miller to the outside and then snuffed out an inside spin move by Kasim Edebali. Early in camp, Mailata had been particularly prone to those inside spin moves, especially against Joe Ostman. “Yes! There you go!” shouted Stoutland after Mailata turned away the spin move.

Barnett also took part in these one-on-ones for the first time at the expense of Dillard. Tired as Dillard may have been, Barnett overpowered the rookie with ease. Some players in the locker room after practice speculated that Dillard might have particular trouble with Barnett because of the third-year defensive end’s strength.

Other quick-hitters from the period: Pryor stoned Kevin Wilkins twice in a row. Treyvon Hester burst quickly past Herbig, though Herbig held his own on a run-it-back re-do. Bruce Hector and Opeta split a pair of back-to-back reps. Pryor, lined up as a left tackle, handled Harold. Opeta overpowered Hester. Sweat moved Dillard back by getting his hands into the tackle’s chest.

Some notes from Yesterday's camp. This is when they were doing one on ones that as Stoutland states heavily favor the defense.

Couple things about what's posted above.

Not sure if I should be excited by the Potential of a Healthy Barnett or concerned that Dillard might struggle with DE with strength? I thought DB game was based off speed , bend and quickness, not Strength? Surely there will be Stronger DE Dillard will face then DB?

Without knowing what was said and who starting what? Is Dillard a player who is easy rattled by players who get the better of him? Able to get in his head if abusing him, talk ish, get him rattled? OR the opposite and it was just the competitor in him taking things to far trying to prove who is better?

Fights happen all the time just thought some of the above seemed odd?

24 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Couple things about what's posted above.

Not sure if I should be excited by the Potential of a Healthy Barnett or concerned that Dillard might struggle with DE with strength? I thought DB game was based off speed , bend and quickness, not Strength? Surely there will be Stronger DE Dillard will face then DB?

Without knowing what was said and who starting what? Is Dillard a player who is easy rattled by players who get the better of him? Able to get in his head if abusing him, talk ish, get him rattled? OR the opposite and it was just the competitor in him taking things to far trying to prove who is better?

Fights happen all the time just thought some of the above seemed odd?

Wouldn't be too worried about it, it was well known that Dillard still needs to get stronger instead of just bigger like he was spending most of his time trying to do in college. Barnett is a 3rd year player who was a first round pick for a reason. It's far from abnormal.