Training Camp 2019 News & Updates

TwoUpTwoDown

16 hours ago, ET80 said:

"Getting nothing" for him is vastly overstated - he's going to play this season, and the Texans have ample cap room to tag him again next season (if it comes down to that) and the season after THAT, so he's not going anywhere unless he tries a Lev Bell (which - with his track record stemming back to SC - would only further tank his value). So at the least, the Texans will have a pretty good-to-great OLB at their disposal. 

Pretty much to a person - that's what Texans' fans want. Let him play out this tag, and then tag him again next off-season; If he plays great and stays healthy, negotiate a longer term deal for him, much like how Dallas handled DeMarcus Lawrence. If he doesn't perform well, then you trade him, or try to sign him to a long term deal that's priced in the Texans' favor. If nothing else comes of it - another year on the tag, then tag him AGAIN for the 2021 season. Right now, the Texans have upwards of $45mm in cap space, long term deals for JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson with three years on his rookie deal - so that's the "drop dead" point on the Jadevion Clowney saga, three years from now. Realistically, Clowney isn't going to be an unrestricted FA until 2022 (unless the CBA is update to restrict the use of the tag, something owners will probably fight pretty fiercely over).

Very few of us Texans' fans want to trade Clowney. It doesn't mean that we're not going to explore potential options, but there's no urgency to do anything other than wait it out for the right T, not just A T.

this is true, though I would think the Franchise Tag is going to get retooled heavily with the new CBA.
At the very least that 3rd year will probably be gone and the 2nd tag might cost way more.

If the Owners are seriously making a play for 18 games, something as anti-player as the franchise tag will have to be put on the negotiating table.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

hell he will probably start the game doug doesnt play veterans in preseason.

true true..get Graham some more tastes like he wanted last week, same with Barnett. Then get the young guys in.
Sweat needs to step it up a little

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

this is true, though I would think the Franchise Tag is going to get retooled heavily with the new CBA.
At the very least that 3rd year will probably be gone and the 2nd tag might cost way more.

If the Owners are seriously making a play for 18 games, something as anti-player as the franchise tag will have to be put on the negotiating table.

From this perspective, I'd prefer the tag to be retooled - simply to get the Texans to **** or get off the pot on Clowney.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

From this perspective, I'd prefer the tag to be retooled - simply to get the Texans to **** or get off the pot on Clowney.

Yeah, it's such a headache to deal with. I feel like I just want finality when these types of things come up.
The speculation gets so old, so fast.

I think the one year tag should be a thing, and then year 2 should be doubled or some large percentage higher. No year 3 tag.
Remove the deadline for extensions if the player is traded. 

I'm not sure what they can do as far as holdouts go, but they need to give incentive to players to sign.
They aren't a good look for the league.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah, it's such a headache to deal with. I feel like I just want finality when these types of things come up.
The speculation gets so old, so fast.

I think the one year tag should be a thing, and then year 2 should be doubled or some large percentage higher. No year 3 tag.
Remove the deadline for extensions if the player is traded. 

I'm not sure what they can do as far as holdouts go, but they need to give incentive to players to sign.
They aren't a good look for the league.

the incentive to sign is the money becomes guaranteed at that point. So if you get hurt in practice you still get your millions of dollars.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 1:22 PM, Danger said:

So we're going to give up the best RT in football and rely on... Vaitai? Mailata? Yeah no thanks. If Clowney still had year(s) in which he wasn't going to cost us big then maybe it'd be something to consider, but with what he's going to demand resource wise in draft capital and cap, it's not even worth entertaining that big of a hit to our team to add him.

We relied on Vatai and won a SB...stop 

No way I’m trading Johnson. Big V and some draft picks. That’s the deal. I can see why the Texans wouldn’t want it but that’s what’s on the table. We’re making a SB run. I can’t afford to trade a huge part of our OL now. 

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

No way I’m trading Johnson. Big V and some draft picks. That’s the deal. I can see why the Texans wouldn’t want it but that’s what’s on the table. We’re making a SB run. I can’t afford to trade a huge part of our OL now. 

johnsons is a better player than clowney with more years on his deal. Honestly the texans might have to add a first rounder for it to be even considered. 

52 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

johnsons is a better player than clowney with more years on his deal. Honestly the texans might have to add a first rounder for it to be even considered. 

Yep, all pro oline talent is harder to come by too.

Clowney can be awesome,  but injuries and inconsistencies ding him as well.