Directors/Extended Cuts That Massively Improved a Film?

KManX89

On 8/3/2019 at 1:40 PM, Ozzy said:

Stupid narration?  Are you kidding, it explains the background for the story and is absolutely needed, it did not give anything away.  Sure is not needed once you watch it and already know the story then watch it again.  

It robs the film of any sense of mystery. The experience is much more powerful if you don't know the backstory going in.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:39 PM, carl_sjunior said:

I just picked up Blade Runner DC blu ray, haven't seen it in years. 

I watch extended editions of LOTR only. 

Only reason I can think of for not watching the LotR extended editions is not wanting to sit through a 4 hour+ film. 

The TCs are all 3 hours (RotK 3 1/2 hours) and are plenty good enough by themselves. It just makes the extended cuts that much more memorable, especially RotK's.

But yeah, DareDevil's DC at least warrants a second viewing, if nothing else, if you're willing to sit through its early 2000's soundtrack again. It's still not great by any means, but it's a marked improvement over the TC in every category. It makes me want MSJ's original full-on R-rated DD pitch that much more.

Oh, and apparently the Tom Jane Punisher movie got an extended cut as well, I need to check that out. There's another one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

6 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Oh, and apparently the Tom Jane Punisher movie got an extended cut as well, I need to check that out. There's another one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I liked Tom Jane as Punisher and the sequence where his family was taken out was well done but after that it fell apart.  John Travolta was excruciatingly horrible in it. Any extra footage with him in it would be torture to sit thru.  

20 hours ago, Starless said:

It robs the film of any sense of mystery. The experience is much more powerful if you don't know the backstory going in.

Mystery?  Many great stories do exactly this, it is setting the scene and it does not give anything away I feel.  Just explains a little back story that is needed because it is not a comic book where the audience goes into the movie already knowing all the characters and who is the villain etc.  

It is like saying this intro ruined the original Star Wars movies.  

maxresdefault.jpg

I just do not feel my watching the movie would have been greatly improved if I did not hear that short little intro narration.  Maybe if one wants a mystery like you are watching stupid CSI sure but it is a story and many stories are told that way.  

First, there was darkness.

Then came the Strangers.

They were a race as old as time itself.

They had mastered the ultimate technology--

the ability to alter physical reality by will alone.

They called this ability "Tuning."

But they were dying.

Their civilization was in decline,

and so they abandoned their world,

seeking a cure for their own mortality.

Their endless journey brought them to a small, blue world...

in the farthest corner of the galaxy.

Our world.

Here, they thought they had finally found...

what they had been searching for.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Whoever said Kingdom of Heaven was spot on. 

I watched the DC a couple of days ago, and holy ish, this version is much better. The DC turns a by-the-numbers war/fantasy movie with gaping plot holes into a great movie. Why they cut out so many important plot points from the TC, I have no clue... oh wait, nevermind, I think I have the answer right here.

Oh and apparently Sucker Punch got a DC that was R, not just an Unrated cut, but an actual/official R-rated cut, I'll have to check that out. I thought I remember noticing that they cut stuff out in the theatrical release, turns out I was right in my suspicions.

Edited by KManX89

On 11/13/2019 at 8:09 AM, KManX89 said:

Whoever said Kingdom of Heaven was spot on. 

I watched the DC a couple of days ago, and holy ish, this version is much better. The DC turns a by-the-numbers war/fantasy movie with gaping plot holes into a great movie. Why they cut out so many important plot points from the TC, I have no clue... oh wait, nevermind, I think I have the answer right here.

I watched that a couple months ago and it was outstanding.  I'm not sure if I saw it since the theatre (more likely the initial DVD release) and don't know it well enough to spot what was added but I really enjoyed the DC of it.  I went down the rabbit hole of these events in real life and was pretty surprised with closely Ridley Scott stuck to the actual events and ppl involved.