Directors/Extended Cuts That Massively Improved a Film?

KManX89

On 8/10/2019 at 12:07 PM, KManX89 said:

Only reason I can think of for not watching the LotR extended editions is not wanting to sit through a 4 hour+ film. 

The TCs are all 3 hours (RotK 3 1/2 hours) and are plenty good enough by themselves. It just makes the extended cuts that much more memorable, especially RotK's.

But yeah, DareDevil's DC at least warrants a second viewing, if nothing else, if you're willing to sit through its early 2000's soundtrack again. It's still not great by any means, but it's a marked improvement over the TC in every category. It makes me want MSJ's original full-on R-rated DD pitch that much more.

Oh, and apparently the Tom Jane Punisher movie got an extended cut as well, I need to check that out. There's another one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

There are people that don't think Evanescence on the Daredevil soundtrack wasn't the second best thing about the movie? First obviously being Jennifer Garner at her dimest?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There are people that don't think Evanescence on the Daredevil soundtrack wasn't the second best thing about the movie? First obviously being Jennifer Garner at her dimest?

It was my first exposure to "Bring me to Life", can't go wrong with that.

Cursed [2004]

Not saying much even tho it was never released. Apparently Wes Craven had 90% of the original filmed before The Weinsteins saw it and weren't feeling it. Made them go back and basically reshoot the whole movie, change the script, recast an actress, before ultimately releasing the garbage that saw the theaters.

On 11/18/2019 at 4:20 PM, RaiderX said:

Cursed [2004]

Not saying much even tho it was never released. Apparently Wes Craven had 90% of the original filmed before The Weinsteins saw it and weren't feeling it. Made them go back and basically reshoot the whole movie, change the script, recast an actress, before ultimately releasing the garbage that saw the theaters.

Yup, Wes Craven was p!ssed about the butchering the Weinsteins did on his film, and rightfully so. I can't understand for the life of me how they thought releasing a PG-13 werewolf movie (!) was a good idea. They cut scene with a woman getting devoured in an elevator, BOO!

Anyways, I just watched the Extended Cut of Sucker Punch. While still not a GREAT film, it definitely fleshes out the story by adding back in missing story elements from the TC, including a pivotal scene with Jon Hamm (High Roller) and Emily Browning (Baby Doll) that makes the ending much more clear and ups the ante with more gritty action that was also missing from the TC.

It might be worth a second viewing for people who didn't like TC, which is many. Actually, this cut seems to have gained quite a few new fans. This was another film that had no business being anything but R (HTF do you make a movie about sex trafficking PG-13?).