Jason Garrett Questions

dll2000

Not a troll thread, I am legit curious what Cowboy fans think.

What is minimum he has to accomplish this year to keep his job in 2020?

If fired could he get another job in NFL or is he banished for a long time or perhaps forever like Jeff Fisher?  

If fired who would you most want for new HC?

NFC Champ game roughly, depending on injuries. 

Yes - he has done a tremendous job rebuilding us. And he has learned to let the coordinators be the X's and O'x people. 

Dont know on replacement. Its too early. Not sure who will be available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Not a troll thread, I am legit curious what Cowboy fans think.

What is minimum he has to accomplish this year to keep his job in 2020?

If fired could he get another job in NFL or is he banished for a long time or perhaps forever like Jeff Fisher?  

If fired who would you most want for new HC?

In my opinion, he should have been gone already. He needs to get to NFC Championship game. If the team suffers significant injuries, he needs to show that he can game plan and put the team in a position to win.

I dont think he gets another shot soon. I wouldnt mind keeping him in a front office role.

Id look at a college coach to replace him. Lincoln Riley is the hot name, but Id look at Kirby Smart.

• Like 1

Deep playoff run I believe is required to keep his job. Not sure injuries will make a difference for him.

I don’t know about future coaching jobs, but I could very easily see him getting a FO gig. 

Couple of college coaches on my shortlist would be Chris Peterson and Matt Campbell

I have a hard time believing it’s actually NFCCG or bust for Garrett. Maybe if they have a bye and lose at home again. But in any event, Jerry could choose to see things like making the playoffs in consecutive years, which Garrett has never done even going back to his time as OC, represents progress. Stephen and others may try to convince him that it’s time to move on at this point, but Jerry really, really does not want to get of Jason. That is clear at this point.

Minimum NFC Championship game

I believe he would get another Head Coaching gig, or as others have said. I believe he would make a hell of a GM.

I firmly believe they're grooming Kellen Moore to be our next headcoach

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I wasn't aware he was making decisions on draft picks. 

He isn't solely, just part of the equation. But, he does carry a lot of influence on how the team is built and who is part of that. His eye for talent is typically pretty good.

Even if Garrett should get credit for drafts I think it would be a tough argument to say they had best overall drafts since Garrett was hired.  

Does he also get blame for misses?  Or just credit for successes? 

Going back to 2015:

2015 class was Byron Jones.  He's looking better each year.  As a whole not a strong class though. 

2016 was real good and big reason for recent success.  Elliott, Smith and Prescott.   All good players, but it seems you will have to pay Elliott and Prescott more than they are worth to keep them.  Prescott was an after thought too, talent they really identified at Qb was a massive bust.   But credit for drafting Dak.  

2017 looks pretty bad overall at this time.  

2018 Vander Esch looks real good.  Jury is out on rest.  

2019 who knows.

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Even if Garrett should get credit for drafts I think it would be a tough argument to say they had best overall drafts since Garrett was hired.  

Maybe not best overall, but since his first full year as HC in 2011, I think it's safe to put Dallas in top 5. 

Does he also get blame for misses?  Or just credit for successes? 

Absolutely he gets blame. Look no further than Taco Charlton pick. 

Going back to 2015:

2015 class was Byron Jones.  He's looking better each year.  As a whole not a strong class though. 

- Probably not going to get many arguments here, though Gregory when he's mentally fit has been solid. Geoff Swaim didn very well for a 7th rder.

2016 was real good and big reason for recent success.  Elliott, Smith and Prescott.   All good players, but it seems you will have to pay Elliott and Prescott more than they are worth to keep them.  Prescott was an after thought too, talent they really identified at Qb was a massive bust.   But credit for drafting Dak.  

- Prescott was most definitely not an after thought in that draft room. Numerous coaches including JG were intrigued with Prescott. 

2017 looks pretty bad overall at this time.  

Chido and Woods are both starting and preforming very well. Lewis looked the part his rookie year, but doesn't fit the mold Richard looks for in CB. Can't knock him for that as his play has been solid when given the chance. 

2018 Vander Esch looks real good.  Jury is out on rest.  

2019 who knows.