Training Camp

Rockice_8

As long as the defense isn't terrible like NO from a few years back or KC from last year bad we should be ok.  We just need to hold teams to 3 and not let them get 6.  We are going to give up yards but red zone defense will be key in determining wins and losses.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The faster we realize that Cashman should start over Hewitt the better.

Agreed.  Live with the rookie learning curve early on and hope his excellent IQ speeds up the process.  We'll be better off with it in the long run.

19 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

As long as the defense isn't terrible like NO from a few years back or KC from last year bad we should be ok.  We just need to hold teams to 3 and not let them get 6.  We are going to give up yards but red zone defense will be key in determining wins and losses.

How the mighty have fallen. We draft defense first year after year and the group will be mediocre if we are lucky. It’s just sad. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Agreed.  Live with the rookie learning curve early on and hope his excellent IQ speeds up the process.  We'll be better off with it in the long run.

I think we have one of the smartest LBs playing next to him, so he can easily be told where to be pre snap, huddle, etc. So that's a luxury we have with him.

9 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

How the mighty have fallen. We draft defense first year after year and the group will be mediocre if we are lucky. It’s just sad. 

I actually think the defense is really solid in most areas.  Biggest issue though is lack of pass rush and CB's which when you combine them could be devastating to a defense.

Crazy that 1 good pass rusher and 1 good CB could immediately vault this defense from bad to top 10.  Like a hypothetically swap of Clowney for Leo and if you told me Tru was healthy for 16 games and we landed a player like Bouye or traded for a solid #2 like Douglas I really think we could have a top 10 defense so as bad as it sounded we are really close to being good if that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I actually think the defense is really solid in most areas.  Biggest issue though is lack of pass rush and CB's which when you combine them could be devastating to a defense.

Crazy that 1 good pass rusher and 1 good CB could immediately vault this defense from bad to top 10.  Like a hypothetically swap of Clowney for Leo and if you told me Tru was healthy for 16 games and we landed a player like Bouye or traded for a solid #2 like Douglas I really think we could have a top 10 defense so as bad as it sounded we are really close to being good if that makes sense. 

I agree. This team looks to be two pieces away from being playoff contenders: edge and corner as you noted. Even if we just manage to get a starting caliber corner, I think our defense plays well. Having holes at two key positions is the problem. Teams can get away with one, but not both. 

The offense is coming together well. 

Edited by SDotNova

53 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I’m expecting a couple of surprise cuts.

Edge: I think we are going to cut Polite and keep Phillips. 

WR: We keep 7 (big 3 plus Bellamy, Burnett, Thompson and Dortch)

We add another CB through waiver/FA and upgrade K. 

At this point, I’m not expecting anything too drastic since it sounds like we are out on Clowney.

I think Polite will be kept as redshirt.  He still has explosion step and some teams will take a shot at him for free.    

Dunno about Quincy Adeboyejo right now but he is bigger and faster.  It would be easier if he were put on IR. Otherwise, Thompson may be a goner.

Edited by JetsandI