Training camp 2019

WizardHawk

35 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

You dont need a passing yards champion to win a superbowl either. It's lazy to make the cutoff the number 1 overall rushing leader and say "look it hasn't happened since Emmitt and Davis!" Because 34 of the 47 Super Bowl champions have been ranked in the top 10 in the NFL in rushing yards per game. So 30 other super bowl champs were ranked somewhere between #10 and #2 in rushing yards per game, but they weren't #1. People are looking at that data and somehow gathering that the run game isn't neccessary because only 4 times were the champs actually ranked 1st; ignoring the fact that 72.3% of superbowl winners had top 10 rushing teams

Big Ben was passing yards champ last year and didn't make the playoffs. Drew Brees wins it every other year, but he doesn't win the superbowl every other year. Matt Schaub won passing yards champ in 2009. Rivers in 2010. Guess you don't need a passing champion to win a superbowl. 

But I bet most superbowl winners are top 10 passing teams. Just may not always be #1.

Again, it's dumb not to count the #2, #3, #4 or 5th ranked rushing team as part of the winning equation just because they weren't #1.

Number 1 rushing offense =/= individual rushing leader. We haven’t had the #1 rushing offense in any of the last 5 years. Same for passing leaders although that’s much more closely aligned. Also whatever guy leads the league in passing yards inevitably was playing from behind a lot, while the opposite is true for the rushing leader.

If you want to remove the context of surrounding talent and say this is because rushing > passing then go right ahead but that’s ridiculous. The teams with the highest pass rates in the first three quarters when the outcome of the game is still in question (+/- 7 points) tend to win more than the teams with the highest rush rates in the same situations and this has been for many years now.

I don’t think running the ball doesn’t matter, this isn’t a binary discussion, but again- what memorable RB from this decade other than Marshawn (who played for the team with the best pass defense since the ‘02 Bucs) “led” his team to any consistent success? Le’Veon Bell? They won 3 playoff games with a HOF QB and WR. AP, Shady, Charles? Not really. Zeke and his 2 divisional appearances might be next. I think you can come up with far more stud QBs and elite defenses that have had a much stronger effect on winning.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Number 1 rushing offense =/= individual rushing leader. We haven’t had the #1 rushing offense in any of the last 5 years. Same for passing leaders although that’s much more closely aligned.

Curious, which team has had the passing yardage champ but not the #1 ranked passing yardage team? That doesn't make much sense. I guess if someone was ranked #2 in yards and sat the last game, and their back up came in and killed it.

And I'm not here to argue what is the most important aspect of winning. If it's out of passing, rushing, and defense, I'm inclined to go with defense. I think the stats back that up, but it's all preference. There are defensive minded coaches and offensive minded coaches and I'm sure they will all say something different about how to win. 

Just pointing out, saying, "only 4 times has a rushing champ won the superbowl," is extremely misleading considering  34 of the 47 Super Bowl champions have been ranked in the top 10 in the NFL in rushing yards per game.

Edited by DaBoys

That didn't take long:

2:07 p.m. -- Linebacker Sean Lee did not practice Tuesday after tweaking his knee in Monday's practice, head coach Jason Garrett said. The injury is not expected to require surgery.

"We'll take his situation day by day," Garrett said. "We don’t think his situation is serious, but we felt like it was better to give him a little time."

Joe Thomas took Lee's place at strong-side linebacker with the first-team defense

9:10 a.m. - The rookie free-agent was a big priority for the Cowboys after the draft and after one practice, he showed glimpses of his potential.

Wise was a force in the 1-on-1 drills, getting into the backfield despite the different interior linemen in front of him.

Edited by DaBoys

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/practice-recap-tyron-vs-quinn-wr-shines

Kicking for the second time in camp, Brett Maher again made 5 of 6 field goal attempts. He connected from 34, 36, It looked like a clean sweep for three offensive line starters in the “compete” period. Tyron Smith, Connor Williams and Zack Martin appeared to win one-on-one matchups against Robert Quinn, Daniel Ross and Maliek Collins, respectively.

Time will tell what the Cowboys have in veteran pass rusher Robert Quinn, but if Monday’s practice was any indication, he’ll have his hands more than full with Tyron Smith. The left tackle looked as dominant as ever, especially in one-on-one drills where the two were pitted against each other. “He’s the best in the league,” Quinn said of Smith. “I knew it wouldn’t be easy.”

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Curious, which team has had the passing yardage champ but not the #1 ranked passing yardage team? That doesn't make much sense. I guess if someone was ranked #2 in yards and sat the last game, and their back up came in and killed it.

Tampa did just last year between Jameis and Fitzmagic, actually. Otherwise it would probably take a QB that barely finished first but took a bunch of sacks as those count against team passing yardage but not player.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Time will tell what the Cowboys have in veteran pass rusher Robert Quinn, but if Monday’s practice was any indication, he’ll have his hands more than full with Tyron Smith. The left tackle looked as dominant as ever, especially in one-on-one drills where the two were pitted against each other. “He’s the best in the league,” Quinn said of Smith. “I knew it wouldn’t be easy.”

This is said every year about Smith. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. But the last few years he does seem to struggle at different times throughout the year.

• Like 1

I in no way say run game doesn’t mater just that you don’t have to have an elite back like Zeke Gurley etc and in fact rarely does having an elite back lead to a super bowl win instead having a dominate OL seems to work better  

I don't think you need any one thing. You can win the superbowl in a variety of ways depending how your roster is built. The most proven way lately has been to have an elite QB or coach(or both).  If you don't have one then you can do it with a good defense and a mistake free offense.