Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

Call me crazy but the player I was most pleased about was Rudolph. In my opinion he clearly out played Dobbs and was night and day from what we saw last year. Yea Dobbs had a few nice runs but Rudolph looked so much more relaxed and patient in the pocket. He looks to be a few steps ahead of Dobbs in regards to reading the defense and also confidence. I would love to see what he can do running with the 1s. He looked accurate as hell and his throws had a nice zip to them.

Any chance next week that the coaches let Ben run one series and then let Rudolph go the rest of the way with the 1st after his performance last night?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Call me crazy but the player I was most pleased about was Rudolph. In my opinion he clearly out played Dobbs and was night and day from what we saw last year. Yea Dobbs had a few nice runs but Rudolph looked so much more relaxed and patient in the pocket. He looks to be a few steps ahead of Dobbs in regards to reading the defense and also confidence. I would love to see what he can do running with the 1s. He looked accurate as hell and his throws had a nice zip to them.

Any chance next week that the coaches let Ben run one series and then let Rudolph go the rest of the way with the 1st after his performance last night?

Yeah I agree.  I though Rudolph looked way better in the pocket.  I thought Hodges looked better than Dobbs too.  Would be great to be able to trade one of them.  

I was definitely pleased with Rudolph. Hodges showed flashes, he will not, imo, get through waivers, someone will pick him up.

I was highly displeased with Dobbs. Yeah he can run but he didnt so much throwing the ball, he did have a nice deep ball to Washington but he also showed that he is still perfectly fine with making poor decisions.

Very happy with Spencer as a returner at times, however he has to understand there are times he needs to call for fair catch.

Holton needs to not bring the ball out of the endzone when he is practically standing out of bounds.  The #5/6 WR spot isnt gonna be an easy decision.

Layne is definitely not ready to play much but he did some positive things.

I didnt like Chuks at LT. I am not real comfortable with most of the backup OL, but they're backups for a reason.

I liked Snell better when he was pounding it up the middle.

Kam Kelly looked good imo.

Gentry should be the #2 TE.

46 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Did Ulysees Gilbert look as good as his stats showed?  Just curious (of course, one preseason game, a career, does not make) if he looks promising as a potential 2nd string guy?

he stood out in a good way when he was out there

his speed was noticeable

1 hour ago, August4th said:

he stood out in a good way when he was out there

his speed was noticeable

That's good to know, that he has some decent game speed, especially if, heaven forbid, Bush sustained a long-term injury.  VW has a lot of great qualities--speed, however, is not one of them, at least not that I have noticed.

Anyway, if Gilbert shows speed, AND awareness/instincts, it'll be hard not to root for the guy.  I wonder how the depth chart will shake out, after final cuts, because honestly, I'd be extremely interested in having Bush, Gilbert, and Spillane, with Barron and VW.  I think our 'depth' at the ILB position needs to be re-calibrated, from last season...one of our biggest weaknesses, and, IMO, likely a contributing factor to our poor defensive numbers (other than sacks, of course), and as such, may possibly have been enough to make-up the 3 point difference from our close losses.

Sutton smith better learn to play through a little pain (I’m actually not sure what he is hurt with so that might not be possible). 

Still super early, but his spot on the 53 is currently Gilbert’s and his place in the OLB pecking order might have been swapped for Skipper. 

Didnt even play and probably had the worst night of anyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Sutton smith better learn to play through a little pain (I’m actually not sure what he is hurt with so that might not be possible). 

Still super early, but his spot on the 53 is currently Gilbert’s and his place in the OLB pecking order might have been swapped for Skipper. 

Didnt even play and probably had the worst night of anyone. 

I agree. Some of those young LBs looked mighty good. I'd love to get Spillaine and Skipper on the active roster there just isnt gonna be the space, it would just be nice to have that depth. But if we can at least get them on the PS that would be good.

Dirty Red is out there fighting for his football life, I like that a lot.