Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

I’ve been saying since the draft that dirty red has a spot on this team. I don’t think people realize how valuable of a special teams player he was for us last year and although we will never want to rely on him for anything other than spot duty on defense, he’s improved in that area each year and the coaches like him.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 4:14 PM, bigben07MVP said:

I’ve been saying since the draft that dirty red has a spot on this team. I don’t think people realize how valuable of a special teams player he was for us last year and although we will never want to rely on him for anything other than spot duty on defense, he’s improved in that area each year and the coaches like him.

He is nothing but a special team guy.  The best of the scrubs.  He is the only backup to VWill.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:54 AM, jebrick said:

He is nothing but a special team guy.  The best of the scrubs.  He is the only backup to VWill.

he has more value then dhb did and they kept that bum around for years

Edited by muncher

On 2019-08-12 at 8:54 AM, jebrick said:

If a player like Skipper (Tunch's camp phenom) makes the team, is that when Red doesn't make the roster? The way I see it , they can only have so many players for ILB and OLB, so it might come down to Red losing his spot if a new younger player appears to have legit potential as a starter.  The LB battle will be the one that is going to go to the wire unlike in previous seasons.  Jebrick, if you see Red as ST only, shouldn't you opt to keep Sutton Smith instead due to versatility and speed?

We have seen Matakevich when he must play vs NFL starters.  He does not have the athleticism to be on the field.  He is slow to move and slow to react.  That does not mean he si not a great ST player.  He will lose his job when they have a player that is good in special teams and can actually be a backup.  Vwill is a step down from the modern NFL LB.  Big Red is a big step down from VWill.

At this point, Sutton Smith needs to get on the field.  I think they will store him on the PS and let him build strength and weight.  He could be a ST demon but he needs to get on the field and show us.

• Like 3

On 8/10/2019 at 4:14 PM, bigben07MVP said:

I have been a fan of Dirty Red since his days at Temple.  He is a competitor and has a lot of heart. As much of a fan of his as I am, I am not sure that he makes the roster.  Special Teams and the fact that Sutton Smith is hurt may get him another year or at least a roster spot in September. However, if Ulysses Grant continues his accent on the field and can play ST, Red may be gone and S. Smith may be a PS participant.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:54 AM, jebrick said:

Always reality from you my friend.  I hate to hear it as a fan, but in reality, you are correct.  I think he has the IQ and instincts to be an NFL ILB, but not the speed required in the game today. When he came out of college, I compared him to his coach Jerry Osavsky who was an under-sized slow ILB with heart and instincts.  I am rooting for him, but if he can't outplay VWill and I think he does have the potential to do so, he is probably gone. Especially if a younger player like Grant continues to shine.  You can't coach speed.

22 hours ago, muncher said:

He has more value then dhb did and they kept that bum around for years

True!  I don't think it helps him this year if Smith or Grant step up and can play ST. 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

We have seen Matakevich when he must play vs NFL starters.  He does not have the athleticism to be on the field.  He is slow to move and slow to react.  That does not mean he is not a great ST player.  He will lose his job when they have a player that is good in special teams and can actually be a backup.  Vwill is a step down from the modern NFL LB.  Big Red is a big step down from VWill.

At this point, Sutton Smith needs to get on the field.  I think they will store him on the PS and let him build strength and weight.  He could be a ST demon but he needs to get on the field and show us.

Ulysses Grant is showing that he can move an blitz as well. He is probably a step or so faster and while not as instinctual maybe, he probably has a bigger upside.  I really wanted to see Sutton smith get his shot, but being hurt keep you off the field and possibly the roster.  Young guys need these first two preseason games to shine.  The fourth game usually comes down to the players trying to distinguish or separate from one another.  If you practice well and play well in the first two games, you can solidify a roster spot early.  I was impressed with #49 Robert "Mickey" Spillane in the game. He moved well and played hard. I don't see a realistic shot of making the roster, but he looks like a good developmental guy.  There are a lot of bodies at the ILB position that are showing something and that may not fare well for Dirty Red.