Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

My 53 Man Roster Prediction: (and PS prediction as well as a claim prediction) (Not listed in any particular depth order really)

QB: BR / MR / JD

HB: JC / JS / BS / TE

FB: RN

TE: VM / XG / ZG

WR: JSS / DM / JW / DJ / RS / ER

LT: AV / CO

LG: RF / BF

C: MP

RG: DD 

RT: MF / ZB

DE: CH / ST / TA / IB

DT: JH / DM

OLB: TW / BD / AC / OA

ILB: DB / MB / VW / UG / TM

CB: JH / SN / MH / JL / CS / AB

S: SD / TE / JD / KK

K: CB

P: JB

LS Cannaday

PS:

WR Trey Griffey

WR Tevin Jones

TE: CSW

C: Patrick Morris

G: Derwin Grey

G: Fred Johnson

DE: Henry Mondeaux

ILB: Tegray Scales

OLB: Tuzar Skipper

S: Marcus Allen

Claims by other teams:

QB Devlin Hodges: New England Patriots

OLB: Sutton Smith: Cincinnati Bengals 

I see you have it backwards. The World Champs claim Sutton Smith. If he's good enough to get picked up by other teams, he's good enough to make THIS team. 

It's not a slight. It's like we set our team. At least preliminary. Ohh Sutton Smith. Let's get him. 

You see. Zach Banner. Switzer. Eli Rogers. These are guys you have on the team that end up on couch. 

Johnny Holton wins the 5th WR job. This gives special teams. Puts JuJu in the slot. Best for him. Washington has been stellar at split end. Meaning 18 got AB's job. As planned. 

20 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Sutton Smith WILL NOT make the roster or the practice squad, nor does he deserve to.

Unfortunately a true statement. I am a Sutton Smith fan and I believed that he would do much more to earn an opportunity to be on this team and to develop.  Robert Spillane outplayed him, not to mention Ulysses Grant who did exactly what I expected Sutton Smith to do.

I feel the same way truthfully about Benny Snell.  Great energy, excitement, swagger, etc., but he was outplayed by T. Edmunds.  Snell's only saving grace is that he does play well on special teams. In fact, much better there than as a RB. I think it would be good for Sutton to end up on the PS.

14 hours ago, Money said:

I just wouldn't cut Sutton Smith. It's extremely foolish. You can't measure HEART.

No you can't measure heart. However, you can't win with just heart either. You also need effort and results on the field. He was outplayed by a few other guys. Period.  I love him and wish it were different, but it is what it is.  In 2011, I saw a humble kid who had a tireless work ethic. He was one of the first on the field and he took advantage of a higher draft pick being selected three rounds before him. AB became everything that the Steelers expected Emmanuel Sanders to be. He outperformed I wish AB would have won a few rings in Pittsburgh and retired as the Steelers greatest WR's of all time, (ahead of Swann, Stallworth and Ward) but that won't happen in the court of public opinion.  The passion/heart that AB showed as a second year hungry player for the Steelers changed. he became a disruptive cancer for this team.  I am still an AB fan, but a Steelers fan first.  He had to go. Not Ben's fault, or Coach T, Mr. Rooney or anyone else. It was all on AB.  It is also all on Sutton.  He didn't perform. The PS may be his best opportunity for a redo next year.  Right now the Skipper's and Grant's of the team deserve the praise and accolades.

so excited for the season after what we have seen in preseason

i know it’s only preseason but you can see the genuine effort the FO made to get our defense to be a fast sideline to sideline opportunistic defense that can make plays and make stops... areas that if we had nailed last season we would have likely been in with a first round bye... i have a lotta belief the team has a real window here these next few seasons with an improved defense and cohesion of the locker room  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

so excited for the season after what we have seen in preseason

i know it’s only preseason but you can see the genuine effort the FO made to get our defense to be a fast sideline to sideline opportunistic defense that can make plays and make stops... areas that if we had nailed last season we would have likely been in with a first round bye... i have a lotta belief the team has a real window here these next few seasons with an improved defense and cohesion of the locker room  

All I am going to say is, I have a really good feeling about this season.

• Like 2

IDK what to expect for this yr lol

Brown potentialy being good, Bengals new coaching staff and ravens new look offense

feels like the AFC north is getting a makeover ..kinda hard to imagine how these games will go right now..still hyped for the season to start tho

Edited by August4th

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Ravens new look offense imo is gonna suck. 

Bengals are not a threat imo.

Browns will be a WC

And to be clear about what I'm saying here, yeah I do think we need to 'worry' about our division rivals, we still gotta play the games and the Ravens will have good games and bad but I just dont see them running LJ as much as RG3 did as a rookie and actually succeeding.

Cincy, I really believe their Achilles heal will yet again be QB.

We might hate it, but the Browns have a lot of talent. However that team also has a lot of ego. Sooner or later, its going to blow up in their face imo.

9 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Unfortunately a true statement. I am a Sutton Smith fan and I believed that he would do much more to earn an opportunity to be on this team and to develop.  Robert Spillane outplayed him, not to mention Ulysses Grant who did exactly what I expected Sutton Smith to do.

I feel the same way truthfully about Benny Snell.  Great energy, excitement, swagger, etc., but he was outplayed by T. Edmunds.  Snell's only saving grace is that he does play well on special teams. In fact, much better there than as a RB. I think it would be good for Sutton to end up on the PS.

No you can't measure heart. However, you can't win with just heart either. You also need effort and results on the field. He was outplayed by a few other guys. Period.  I love him and wish it were different, but it is what it is.  In 2011, I saw a humble kid who had a tireless work ethic. He was one of the first on the field and he took advantage of a higher draft pick being selected three rounds before him. AB became everything that the Steelers expected Emmanuel Sanders to be. He outperformed I wish AB would have won a few rings in Pittsburgh and retired as the Steelers greatest WR's of all time, (ahead of Swann, Stallworth and Ward) but that won't happen in the court of public opinion.  The passion/heart that AB showed as a second year hungry player for the Steelers changed. he became a disruptive cancer for this team.  I am still an AB fan, but a Steelers fan first.  He had to go. Not Ben's fault, or Coach T, Mr. Rooney or anyone else. It was all on AB.  It is also all on Sutton.  He didn't perform. The PS may be his best opportunity for a redo next year.  Right now the Skipper's and Grant's of the team deserve the praise and accolades.

I don't think you can punish him for being hurt. He's a football player. He was born to play football. Once he got his hand in the dirt, he made plays. You put Rudy out there he'll make _______ plays. End of discussion.

Skipper already made the team. He knocks out Chickilo. Who has a $6m cap hit next year. You got Ola and Skipper as backups. That's the most depth we've had in years.

Then you work Sutton Smith in via a special teams slot by beating out Switzer. 

Bc Holton beats out Switzer AND Rogers at WR. Not too mention adds ST with the loss of Switzer - just swapping Holton and Rogers saves another $1M. 

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

And to be clear about what I'm saying here, yeah I do think we need to 'worry' about our division rivals, we still gotta play the games and the Ravens will have good games and bad but I just dont see them running LJ as much as RG3 did as a rookie and actually succeeding.

Cincy, I really believe their Achilles heal will yet again be QB.

We might hate it, but the Browns have a lot of talent. However that team also has a lot of ego. Sooner or later, its going to blow up in their face imo.

My $0.02 opinion of our rivals:

Ravens: WRs suck, but got a lot of TEs. Defending the seams is going to be key. They are using TEs to go vertical to empty the box. Getting creative defensively will be key. LJs arm doesn’t scare me. Defensively if you can handle Williams in the middle, they can be beat on the ground. 

Bengals: Defense should be decent with Lawson and Atkins. The OL is a train wreck. Green can’t stay healthy. They are a team fooling themselves that they are better than they are. 

Browns: Their season comes down to 3 guys - Dorsey, Kitchens, Baker. Simple as that. Does Baker step up? Is Kitchens ready to manage all these personalities? Did Dorsey to in too much on talent and ignore team?