Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Regardless of what we all wanted, Artie Burns will be on the 53 man roster. He got his signing bonus. Also, rumor is he is the next man up behind Haden.

are you saying:

1. he is guaranteed to make the team

2. he is the # 3 CB

3. that no other CB has shown any hope, is it that bad?

56 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

are you saying:

1. he is guaranteed to make the team

2. he is the # 3 CB

3. that no other CB has shown any hope, is it that bad?

1: Nobody is

2: #3 CB is a Slot CB. Apparently he is #4 which is where we thought he or Sutton would be.

3: See above. 

I want to point out a common misconception about Training Camp.

There has been talk through different forums and social media about how certain players are constantly getting beat or not winning drills early in TC.

Okay? What do you expect? You cannot just look at who won a drill. You've got to look at footwork, use of hands, body movements, whether they're getting themselves in the right positions. 

You want a mix of results in TC. Just because the WRs are beating our DBs doesnt mean our DBs suck, maybe our WRs are that good. Just because our DBs are picking off passes doesnt mean our QBs suck, maybe our DBs are just that good. You see where I'm going with this? You can apply that logic to every position. You have to look at individual performance and effort rather than how we match up against each other. 

Take the drill results with a grain of salt, try not to overreact. Preseason will be far more telling.

• Like 2

TJ Watt, Sean Davis, Alexander Myers, Johnnie Holton, Donte Moncrief, Jordan Dangerfield

I am sure I am forgetting someone but so far that's the early injury list for TC.

Moncrief and Watt both have minor injuries. Holton probably doesnt make roster anyway, same with Myers. I am hoping Kelly knocks Dangerfield off roster 

33 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

TJ Watt, Sean Davis, Alexander Myers, Johnnie Holton, Donte Moncrief, Jordan Dangerfield

I am sure I am forgetting someone but so far that's the early injury list for TC.

Moncrief and Watt both have minor injuries. Holton probably doesnt make roster anyway, same with Myers. I am hoping Kelly knocks Dangerfield off roster 

Watt is our best OLB, so let him rest and let the others have their chances. Watt being out actually helps the evaluating process for now .  I hope the secondary gets improved and that Ola gets a fair shot as well as others that deserve it at OLB. 

22 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Watt is our best OLB, so let him rest and let the others have their chances. Watt being out actually helps the evaluating process for now .  I hope the secondary gets improved and that Ola gets a fair shot as well as others that deserve it at OLB. 

I agree. I hope we dont see Watt for a while. 

From what I've heard on the podcasts I listen to Ola has been beasting it so far. Looks to be the 2nd best pass rusher on the team. If Bud struggles early dont be shocked if Ola becomes the starter after the bye week. Yes I am suggesting that Ola WILL make the final 53 and he will be the #3 OLB ahead of Chickillo

On 7/27/2019 at 9:54 PM, Dcash4 said:

Really? Because you think there is that much difference between Switz and what Rogers would be this year? 

Might need to start worrying about those eyes then. 

No, it's because you have a habit of making strawmen.  Not one person is acting like Switz in notably better than Rogers, but just because some of us think Switz will win the last spot, you act like that's what is being said, even though its clear no one has.  

I personally dont care which one makes the roster.  Neither are game changers.  I just think Switz is more dynamic in how he can be used, and our front office really values that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not one person is acting like Switz in notably better than Rogers

On 7/27/2019 at 10:33 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Switz will make the team over Roger's barring injury.  Of that I have little doubt.

See, the way I read your original quote, it seems exactly like you think Switz is “notably better than Rogers”. My argument and challenge is that people are already giving him the roster spot. Your original quote is just that.

Maybe that’s not what you mean. Maybe you think it’s the slimmest of margins. But when you have “little doubt”, and that he “will make the team over” sure seems like you think it’s a pretty clear choice. That’s what I’m challenging, and I have yet to see anything substantial that really backs Switz. 

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I just think Switz could be more dynamic in how he can be used

Changed a word, but this sentence is exactly why i pick Switz over Rogers. I just want to see him do it first before truly giving him the leg up. There is a distinct difference between being dynamic and having the ability to be dynamic.

Edited by Dcash4

It would seem where there's smoke, there's fire. 

Anyone who is talented and has options is bolting for greener pastures. Because Art Rooney II is incapable of running a team. Well, anywhere, but into the ground. 

Mike Munchak. AB. Bell. And now Colbert all are pretty much over Ben and Tomlin. And Art Rooney II. They understand time is limited. And they know they can't win here. Far from where we were three years ago with the band all together  

Ben and Tomlin. Obviously, can't go anywhere. Because it's an obvious downgrade to dwindling careers. Ben's career was set in stone about ten years ago. I said it then. And I say it now. Watching NFL Network of him the other day was cringeworthy. When he was with Kurt Warner. Everyone. I mean. Everyone. Sees it. But Art Rooney II. You lose Colbert. You're done.

This is not good. 

I would expect Eli Rogers to beat out Switz because Diontae Johnson can return punts and Rogers has more value at WR than Switzer. 

Switzer's life is can anyone beat his 7 yards per return on punts. When he doesn't fair catch. Which is all the time. 

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I agree. I hope we dont see Watt for a while. 

From what I've heard on the podcasts I listen to Ola has been beasting it so far. Looks to be the 2nd best pass rusher on the team. If Bud struggles early dont be shocked if Ola becomes the starter after the bye week. Yes I am suggesting that Ola WILL make the final 53 and he will be the #3 OLB ahead of Chickillo

I'm suggesting he is the starter. 

9 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I like Allen, but horrible technique!!! No jam, slow off the snap, slow hip turn and run. He was lost from the snap. Horrible rep, from a player I am hoping steps up.

I liked Allen as a project a few years back given his size. But he's a cut player. The experiment is over. Time to move on. 

On 7/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, bigben07MVP said:

What do you expect out of Sean Davis when he's a corner and NOT a safety. He's a press corner. Not an instinctive safety. 

It's like playing Willie Beamen at corner because "he has quick feet"

^ and if you move Davis down you can trade Artie Burns. For one round of draft position. 

And then sack up and get Reshad Jones. He's got a contract problem. Not too mention a crowded secondary after a regime change. Or two. Who knows down in Miami. Save him.