Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

32 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Or jumping unnecessarily

remembering that play from last year, leaping for no reason. 

Watt being out gives Ola the chance he needs, and this will put dupree on notice since when Watt returns  we all know Watt is the #1 OLB here.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

@bigben07MVP  Hilton was getting some run at FS today. I tried to put the tweet in, but I can't figure it out. 

I saw that on twitter today too and was going to post it but got too caught up with work.

Interesting, if Hilton permanently moved to FS and Sutton or Nelson move to the slot. Where would Davis go? Backup to both safety spots?

14 hours ago, warfelg said:

Tomlin said he's progressing, doing more and more with the 1st team, but they want him to be the play caller.

But it seems like I hear more buzz about a 1st Rdr even if it's just a puff piece. Again, prolly nothing to worry about. 

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I saw that on twitter today too and was going to post it but got too caught up with work.

Interesting, if Hilton permanently moved to FS and Sutton or Nelson move to the slot. Where would Davis go? Backup to both safety spots?

I think Davis would be the backup safety at both spots. I think the FO is just keeping all their options open regarding contracts next season. Davis might not come back.

I'm excited to see what Hilton brings to the position. I personally don't care about his size. I don't care about the big hits. As long he can tackle that's all that matters. I hope he does get some time back there. I've longed for a Centerfield ballhawking FS instead of the typical Steeler SS playing FS that we've had since forever.  

16 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

If anything it’s a good sign that Ben and Washington are on the same page enough to pull of a play like this where the timing is so important. Washington’s break upfield and Ben’s shoulder fake both happen at the exact right moment. 

My point exactly.  I don't think that they got a lot of reps together last year in training camp and definitely not the pre-season games as Ben didn't play much all pre-season.  Hopefully they can develop that timing and understanding of each other.

16 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Gotta say that was a crappy throw by Ben. He made Washington slow down and track the ball over the middle.  If Ben leads him ahead and to the sideline, Washington is not touched.

I noticed that as well, but for the first week and developing timing, etc., I still give them both an A+.  Faked out a pretty good CB and froze the safety just enough to squeeze the ball in between them. Yeah he could have led him better, but they both did their jobs.  That is a win and more often than not will lead to points.  Eventually, I think the timing and confidence in each other gets better. 

Ben never seemed to get that with Bryant his last year here.  I remember seeing too many overthrows on go routes or similar timing routes. Sammy Coates just couldn't track or hold onto the ball. It is only one snapshot of a training camp rep, but it showed something to be encouraged by and to your point, some area of improvement as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I'm excited to see what Hilton brings to the position. I personally don't care about his size. I don't care about the big hits. As long he can tackle that's all that matters. I hope he does get some time back there. I've longed for a Centerfield ballhawking FS instead of the typical Steeler SS playing FS that we've had since forever.  

I think Chris Hope was the last guy that even kind of looked like a CF ballhawk type.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Why do we think Hilton will be a “centerfield ballhawking” free safety when all we’ve seen him do so far in his career is cover slot/underneath stuff and blitz?

Does he have range? Is he athletic enough to make plays on the ball 30/40 yards downfield? Those are the things I’d be worried about with Hilton at free safety, not his ability to tackle or lay big hits.

I’ve never really understood the thought of him playing there.

7 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Why do we think Hilton will be a “centerfield ballhawking” free safety when all we’ve seen him do so far in his career is cover slot/underneath stuff and blitz?

Does he have range? Is he athletic enough to make plays on the ball 30/40 yards downfield? Those are the things I’d be worried about with Hilton at free safety, not his ability to tackle or lay big hits.

I’ve never really understood the thought of him playing there.

To me, as a Slot defender you need to be quick(not fast)and make snap decisions not unlike a FS.  I can't speak to his range. My point has been for years now...give me a FS that is more Zone CB than SS. That's all. Hilton may not work but I at least like the idea of shifting strategy. 

Edited by Chieferific

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Doubt it. Sounds like he is being outplayed by Delvin Hodges and barely beating out Dobbs who is having an atrocious camp. 

And we could have had George Kittle in lieu of Dobbs.

Does the NFL have a rule that maximizes the amount of Scouts? If not, as a billion dollar business, I would assign a Scout to about every College team and his/her job would be to follow that School's program 24/7/12/365. As a Vols fan, I could have told them Dobbs wasn't anything more then a clipboard holder. 

Edited by Chieferific