Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

Diontae Spencer, Johnny Holton, Tevin Jones: My preferences is that Switzer and Rogers are fighting for one job and these guys are fighting for the other. Spencer and Holton bring something completely different to the table with their speed down the field. Holton and Jones both serve as gunners and Spencer has a good background as a returner too. We have had trouble the last 2 years dealing with versions of C2 because our roster has been full of route runners and havent had the diversity of someone who wakes up a downfield threat (outside of AB). 

Controlling safeties is going to be huge this year. Moncreif, I believe, is going to be the first step in that battle, but would love to have a second guy that can threaten stretching the field, specifically out of the slot, so our route runners like JuJu, Washington, Switz/Rogers, and our backs can have more space underneath. 

Most interested in Spencer and Holton and how their speed could really be an asset on the backend of a roster. 

Also interested in Gilbert, Skipper, and Kelly on D.  Would love to see Kelly make some plays on the ball in the air, see Gilbert fly around to the football, and see if Skipper can threaten the edge. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Diontae Spencer, Johnny Holton, Tevin Jones: My preferences is that Switzer and Rogers are fighting for one job and these guys are fighting for the other. Spencer and Holton bring something completely different to the table with their speed down the field. Holton and Jones both serve as gunners and Spencer has a good background as a returner too. We have had trouble the last 2 years dealing with versions of C2 because our roster has been full of route runners and haven't had the diversity of someone who wakes up a downfield threat (outside of AB). 

Interesting comments.  I agree that "generally" you do like to have the right "types" of players at certain positions to do things or provide the offense  or defense with something that someone else can do or  quality that a player does not have. However, I am leaning to getting the best players available regardless of types. Spencer, Switzer and Rogers are all considered "slot types." However, each provides something that the others do not: Switzer versatility and return ability, Spencer quickness and speed, and in my opinion, Eli's the best receiver of the three right now.  Spencer can get deep a la AB in terms of his quickness.  If Jones or Holton can provide what these guys can, then great. If not, I would prefer the best six:

1. Ju Ju, 2. Moncrief, 3. Washington, 4. Spencer, 5/6 Switzer or Eli.  We had Bryant who had trouble getting back on track with Big Ben and the vertical game and Sammy Coates, who had problems catching a cold, let alone a football,while standing naked in an arctic blizzard.  Both guys could stretch a defense, but how effective were they really in our powerful offense in 2017?  

Controlling safeties is going to be huge this year. Moncreif, I believe, is going to be the first step in that battle, but would love to have a second guy that can threaten stretching the field, specifically out of the slot, so our route runners like JuJu, Washington, Switz/Rogers, and our backs can have more space underneath. 

That is the role that I believe the young Spencer will take. Thus far he has proven to be tough to cover one on one going deep. It is practice, but let's see how he does in games and does it translate to regular season?

Most interested in Spencer and Holton and how their speed could really be an asset on the backend of a roster. 

Agreed.

Also interested in Gilbert, Skipper, and Kelly on D.  Would love to see Kelly make some plays on the ball in the air, see Gilbert fly around to the football, and see if Skipper can threaten the edge. 

+1