Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

Switz will make the team over Roger's barring injury.  Of that I have little doubt.

Also, try not to get excited about what we hear regarding WRs during training camp...we have fell in that trap too many times before.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

@warfelg do you agree that Rodgers and Switz may both be kept temporarily if Johnson isn’t ready week 1? Or do you think we just use McDonald in 4 receiver sets?

Eli has a few guys he needs to beat:

Johnson has a leg up in PR duties

Switz has a leg up in versatility/short area burst

Washington and Moncreif have a leg up on edge play.

I said it 3 years ago and people cried he was special.  Eli Rogers is JAG.

Can anyone explain to me why it’s Switzer >>>>>>>> Rogers? I don’t get it. 

I think Switzer makes the roster over Rogers (but it’s mainly for return ability)...I have no idea how people think it’s not close. Switz’s physically abilities mean he COULD be more dynamic. He hasn’t shown he CAN produce dynamically in 2 years of NFL play. 

Tomlin has also been one of the most conservative coaches in terms of Punt returner in the league. I highly doubt he thrusts a rookie with a history of concentration issues into Sunday action  immediately. He is going to need to earn that one.

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Can anyone explain to me why it’s Switzer >>>>>>>> Rogers? I don’t get it. 

I think Switzer makes the roster over Rogers (but it’s mainly for return ability)...I have no idea how people think it’s not close. Switz’s physically abilities mean he COULD be more dynamic. He hasn’t shown he CAN produce dynamically in 2 years of NFL play. 

Tomlin has also been one of the most conservative coaches in terms of Punt returner in the league. I highly doubt he thrusts a rookie with a history of concentration issues into Sunday action  immediately. He is going to need to earn that one.

But neither has Rogers. At least Switz has been healthy. To me they are both "ok" slot guys. 

9 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

But neither has Rogers. At least Switz has been healthy. To me they are both "ok" slot guys. 

And that’s fine, I just don’t understand the seemingly “and it’s not even close” arguments. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Year 1 can be thrown out.  Dallas rarely used him.

Can it though? There’s a reason the guy is on his 3rd team in three years. Year 1 for Rogers was actually pretty productive. 

I don’t really discount what you saying, but he still hasn’t made a big play outside of 1 punt return, and people act like he is the second coming of Barry Sanders as a slot receiver. 

I want to see him make a big play. That’s all. Show me you actually can. I think he will have plenty of opportunity this pre-season. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

Can it though? There’s a reason the guy is on his 3rd team in three years. Year 1 for Rogers was actually pretty productive. 

I don’t really discount what you saying, but he still hasn’t made a big play outside of 1 punt return, and people act like he is the second coming of Barry Sanders as a slot receiver. 

I want to see him make a big play. That’s all. Show me you actually can. I think he will have plenty of opportunity this pre-season. 

Dallas drafted him after having Cole Beasley and Brice Butler who both play the same position.  And his time with Oakland was about 3 months, so can't really make that much of a comment on that one.  

I don't think anyone is acting like he's the second coming of anyone, just he's a better fit than Eli.  And who cares about making 1 big play.  I rather see a lot of the right good plays.

28 minutes ago, warfelg said:

just he's a better fit than Eli.  And who cares about making 1 big play.  I rather see a lot of the right good plays.

Sorry for the double quote but I just had more comments for this. 

This is the part I don’t understand. Eli has shown more consistency in the NFL. Eli has been a solid/good, unspectacular receiver in the NFL. Yet it’s the IDEA that Switzer COULD be spectacular (in some form) that puts him at a different level apparently? I don’t understand that  we haven’t seen Switzer BE what people WANT him to be. 

Thats why I want to see the big play from Switz. Because without it, he is at minimum no different that Rogers...Rogers has just had more production, and outside of injuries, been very reliable as a pass catcher.  

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Who said spectacular with Switzer?

Then what else are he expectations of Switzer vs a “jag”? You expect him to do more because he is physically different correct? You expect that he is more explosive. You expect that to lead to making more plays. 

He hasn’t shown that his abilities lead to anything more than just being a jag himself. 

He's a little faster in and out of breaks than Eli.

This means nothing. There are plenty of people that come and go each and every year that are bigger, quicker, faster — all who don’t have any of the production Eli has. He may be those things, but It hasn’t played out as Switz being any different, at this point, than Eli Rogers. 

Again, the assumption is Switzer >>>> Rogers. I’m not sure why. 

Can do a few more things.

Can he? Because he hasn’t to this point.  

He is an average return man (Ranked 13th and 12 in PR and KR respectively). He actually averages less YPR than Rogers. Comparing their best seasons, Rogers almost doubles his YPR. 

Switzer is more explosive. He COULD be a much better option than Rogers if he actually shows that his additional explosiveness means anything on the field. Because if it doesn’t, he is not better than Rogers. That was my biggest critique of Rogers. He didn’t have any sort of extra gear. He couldn’t shake anyone. 

If you make the argument that Rogers is just a Jag, than what has Switzer been? I get the perception that he can be a little more, but he hasn’t been. These two are going to be in a battle and I hope Switzer unlocks the gear I believe he has. But if he is just ho-hum and cannot create, I think a Rogers is the better pure receivers - and he has shown that before. 

38 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Honestly my eyes are rolling so hard over this discussion I can see the back of my head.

Really? Because you think there is that much difference between Switz and what Rogers would be this year? 

Might need to start worrying about those eyes then.