Does a Cornerback have to travel with the #1 WR to be considered the best at their position?

PFM18

On 7/25/2019 at 6:24 PM, PFM18 said:

Other DB's (i.e. Stephon Gilmore) play in a scheme where they will stay on their side of the field and cover whoever matches up against them.

Gilmore shadowed #1s. It’s game plan specific, but he did it quite a bit last year. He, and NE’s defense in general, don’t typically have CBs play certain sides and haven’t done so for a while.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:12 AM, ninjapirate said:

the pats did that once alshon burned them. 

And Darrelle Revis got burned by Ted Ginn. Plus, that was Eric Rowe, the Pats’ #4 CB with under 25% of the snaps for most of the season. 

Using the strategy @ET80 mentioned is actually pretty effective if the team has more than one threat at wideout. NE did that almost exclusively the year that they had Revis/Browner and the year with Aqib Talib. It works reasonably well if the team has capable options outside of their elite weapon. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Gilmore shadowed #1s. It’s game plan specific, but he did it quite a bit last year. He, and NE’s defense in general, don’t typically have CBs play certain sides and haven’t done so for a while.

Wasn't aware of that. Gilmore doesn't get recognized as someone who follows the Number 1 but I used him as an example as I feel he is one of the best CB's in the game. 

I'd trust BB more than most to use his players properly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotSoOrdinary said:

Your OP is wrong. Gilmore shadows #1 WRs and did so more than any other CB in the league last year. Ramsey plays in a scheme where he doesn't always shadow the opposing team's #1. Gilmore shadowed 13 times last season to Ramsey's 8 times.

This.

5 hours ago, NotSoOrdinary said:

Your OP is wrong. Gilmore shadows #1 WRs and did so more than any other CB in the league last year. Ramsey plays in a scheme where he doesn't always shadow the opposing team's #1. Gilmore shadowed 13 times last season to Ramsey's 8 times.

Where can I find these stats? Behind a paywall?

Where does Lattimore rank? I think he only shadowed on special occasions.

Edit: Congrats on your first like, you're well on your way! :D

Edited by Dome

On 8/1/2019 at 6:08 PM, NotSoOrdinary said:

Fair enough. My bad.

As I replied above, I don't claim to be a total expert on schemes used by teams, just going off what I thought players did.

I was wrong. 

Image result for backing up gif

On 8/1/2019 at 7:06 PM, Dome said:

Where can I find these stats? Behind a paywall?

Where does Lattimore rank? I think he only shadowed on special occasions.

Edit: Congrats on your first like, you're well on your way! :D

Thanks. I used to post here all the time on the old forum years ago. Just rediscovered this new version. I use PFF, so unfortunately it is behind a paywall. But Lattimore shadowed 8 times last season. Ramsey actually shadowed 9 times, so I have to edit my post a bit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NotSoOrdinary said:

Thanks. I used to post here all the time on the old forum years ago. Just rediscovered this new version. I use PFF, so unfortunately it is behind a paywall. But Lattimore shadowed 8 times last season. Ramsey actually shadowed 9 times, so I have to edit my post a bit.

Thanks for the info.

id imagine half of those came from Julio and Mike Evans