Training Camp Begins! A Recap of the Practices

DoleINGout

https://www.patriots.com/news/day-3-blogservations-star-studded-affair-in-foxborough

Day 3 notes:

-David Andrews, Isaiah Wynn, and Sony Michel were in shells at practice although none of the former Bulldogs participated much

-Ja'Whaun Bentley continues to receive starter reps alongside a base 3-4 consisting of Mike Pennel, Lawrence Guy, Adam Butler, Donta Hightower, Jamie Collins, and Kyle Van Noy

-Michael Bennett remains away from the team for "personal reasons"

-Willie McGinest, Randy Moss, Rodney Harrison, and Rob Ninkovich watched practice

-Practice emphasis on the ground game 

Practice start time for Sunday, July 28 is 9:15 approximately.

Edited by DoleINGout

Day 4 recap:

-Michael Bennett has a dominant debut against the reserves

-Intensity was turned up today

-Regular practice length over two hours

-Sony Michel got slightly more involved and looks as if no knee procedure took place to on-lookers

-Braxton Berrios put together a solid day but Maurice Harris remains the most impressive receiver apparently

-Joe Thuney pushed to left guard from tackle and replaced outside by Dan Skipper all practice

-Jason Tatum, Brad Stevens and NBA champion Toronto Raptors head coach Nick Nurse watched practice* interesting to note because of the "load management" that has been observed with Kawhi Leonard and now adopted by the Patriots in certain respects

-Sirius XM radio was present today for interviews after ESPN and NFL Network visited the previous practice sessions

-The 3-4 alignment seems to be employed again often with Collins and Van Noy outside rotating with John Simon and Derek Rivers while Ja'Whaun Bentley got reps inside in rotation with Dont'a Hightower next to Elandon Roberts

-As expected, there will be a TON of secondary players on the final roster as special teams is a huge saving grace for guys like Terrence Brooks, Duke Dawson, Keion Crossen, and Obi Melifonwu

-Jarrett Stidham is winning the battle for backup QB

Michael Bennett today:

“No, I just had a family issue that I had to go take care of. I was lucky Coach Belichick – it’s nice when you have a coach that sees you as a human, sees you as a human being, not just a number and you’re able to go talk to him, tell him what’s going on, and you’re able to go take care of it. That just makes you want to play harder for a coach. When he believes in you, and lets you take care of your family first.

“Everybody’s always concerned about how their boss is going to take into consideration if something happens back home, but whatever he asks me to do, I’ll do it simply because I know he respects me as a human being and I respect that.”

Bennett emphasized that during his absence, he continued to stay in football shape, so, it’s not entirely surprising that he was able to take part as much as he did in Sunday’s practice. However, when you factor in that he was sleep-deprived from his long-haul flight, it’s impressive. Bennett expounded on why he chose to suit up so soon after disembarking.

“It’s important to get comfortable with being uncomfortable, so when it’s time for us to be in big moments like [this team is] always in, we have the bank to go back into because we put so much into it,” he observed. “You want to prove to your teammates that you love the game… I just want to show them that in every single moment, I’m going to try to go as hard as I can. When you’re on a new team and you have to build new relationships, the only way is to show everyone the type of work ethic you’ve got, what you believe in, and how you carry yourself. Then, the relationship grows from there.

“I just work as hard as I can every day, honestly. I think it’s easy. It’s practice… you know how to condition yourself. I always want to improve. That’s the whole point of practice, is getting better.”

https://www.patriots.com/news/bennett-back-showing-no-signs-of-jet-lag-7-28-camp-notes

5 hours ago, IheartMyV8 said:

Has there been any word on what Brady had an MRI for?

At this point you havre to figure it's just to make sure he really is a human.

Sidenote - hate this time on the football calendar. Yes, it's fun to see who has a good camp, and picking an outsider as your binkie surprise roster spot is always worth a laugh. But checking the news forum multiple times a day to make sure there's no, "Patriots Player X carted off with Y injury" is too tense.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 11:03 AM, DoleINGout said:

Anybody going to these practices this summer? I might head down tomorrow.

Today was the first day of padded practices. They celebrated military families by collecting school supplies to donate to their children. Practice ended a little earlier than usual today and it was noted that there are a lot of families in general in attendance including those of the players and staff. ESPN has had coverage throughout the morning of the Pats training camp today.

I went Saturday. It was way too packed, I ended up standing on the actual on ramps behind Gilette. Got there an hour before and the hill and bleachers were jammed packed. A bit different from the days when I would go to the practices at Bryant College lol.

One thing that I thought was cool was that Scar and BB were running sprints on the hill out back like 45 minutes before practice started. And seeing all the different types of drills they do to make these guys uncomfortable (wetting footballs, using paddles, etc.).

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

What's the fit/potential/interest in the Trent Williams trade front?

Fit? Great! Trent Williams is elite. Potential? Good! The Patriots are always actively combing the market for deals. Interest? Probably some, but they set a price and usually don't budge.