Tidbits from around the league

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Ramsey is going to want to get paid.  Licht wanted him in the draft. he would be Patrick Peterson in Bowles defense.  Plus, he is an alpha personality BA also wants.

I think the Bucs will be in the bidding,  just a matter of what the Jags want 

Ramsey next contract is going to be stupid. Howard got 15m, Ramsey will be in the 16-17 ball park. I want him just dunno if we got the cap room. Suh, JPP, Jensen replaced next year might help.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, indifference said:

Ramsey next contract is going to be stupid. Howard got 15m, Ramsey will be in the 16-17 ball park. I want him just dunno if we got the cap room. Suh, JPP, Jensen replaced next year might help.

I do wonder if they ll let VH Iii walk, especially with all the CBs drafted this season.  Brate s 7 million can come off the cap.  Also, Dot at 4. There s a lot of ways to manipulate the cap.  I haven t even mentioned using some of the guaranteed money as a signing bonnud.

• Like 1

In relation to Ramsey, the eternal debate is what is more important pass rusher or coverage.  By Hoodie s actions, he believes coverage.  He has drafted and traded ot let go of guys like Chandler Jones and Flowers.  However, he has spent significant money in FA for guys like Revis, Browner, and Gilmore.  He resigns his own draft picks in the secondary to big 2 nd contracts more so then his front seven.  Very interesting.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

In relation to Ramsey, the eternal debate is what is more important pass rusher or coverage.  By Hoodie s actions, he believes coverage.  He has drafted and traded ot let go of guys like Chandler Jones and Flowers.  However, he has spent significant money in FA for guys like Revis, Browner, and Gilmore.  He resigns his own draft picks in the secondary to big 2 nd contracts more so then his front seven.  Very interesting.

I think it also depends on the defense...   The hoodie has a similar defense to Bowles a ton of man coverage and exotic blitz packages.  Then you have the other side of the spectrum where you have a zone defense and only send 4 with a couple of vicious pass rushers.  It's not exactly black and white like that but you get the idea.

• Like 1

I was all about Minkah to take over in slot (which is still a bit of a problem if we were to get Ramsey) but now might as well go get Jalen. I’d give them Carlton and a 2nd and hope they take it. They will probably want a 1st.

I hope we keep VH3, especially if he keeps playing like he is. Guy is a very good CB2 in this Bowles defense. 

Paying Ramsey insane money doesn’t sit well with me, especially since there is the potential Jameis will get paid. Then you think about wanting to keep Barrett if he keeps balling out etc. Only so much money to go around but Licht and Greenberg have been solid and if there is a way they’ll make it happen.

I read a PFF article a while back and the whole point essentially proved that coverage is king to pass rush in todays NFL. Now it’s not saying no pass rush, but if the choice is invest in Jalen Ramsey or Jadeveon Clowney, you take Ramsey.

3 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Their equally important you need both to build a consistently good defense. 

• Like 1

We only have 37 players under contract in 2020. Only $66M. Cutting our top five contracts that leave zero dead money (Lavonte, Jensen, JPP, Brate, Gholston) gives us $48M more. So we'd have ~$114M with 21 spots to fill.

Jameis, Suh, and Barrett would all need to be resigned. I really doubt Jameis is going anywhere. He's gonna get another franchise tag, at worst. If Barrett keeps up his play, he's gonna get around $20M. Suh would want another $10M or so. That's not mentioning other players like Nassib.

So that's almost half our cap for next year before we would have to pay Ramsey. And we'd have about 18 roster spots to fill.

12 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We only have 37 players under contract in 2020. Only $66M. Cutting our top five contracts that leave zero dead money (Lavonte, Jensen, JPP, Brate, Gholston) gives us $48M more. So we'd have ~$114M with 21 spots to fill.

Jameis, Suh, and Barrett would all need to be resigned. I really doubt Jameis is going anywhere. He's gonna get another franchise tag, at worst. If Barrett keeps up his play, he's gonna get around $20M. Suh would want another $10M or so. That's not mentioning other players like Nassib.

So that's almost half our cap for next year before we would have to pay Ramsey. And we'd have about 18 roster spots to fill.

I wonder if they franchise Shaq.  Even if he has a great season, it has only been 1 season.  I don t think he would get Clowney money on the open mkt.  If Shaq gets franchised, in theory he would replace JPP s salary.  Probably slightly more then 14 million with franchise tag.

14 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Good breakdown and good point. This is the problem with trading for/signing Ramsey or any other high priced free agent. Only so much to go around..

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Jameis, Suh, and Barrett would all need to be resigned. I really doubt Jameis is going anywhere. He's gonna get another franchise tag, at worst.

i really hope Jameis IS going somewhere else

there really is no reason to pay him 20 + mil when we can get a rookie to perform almost as well with the same amount of turn overs

ive been saying it