Jaguars claim DT Eli Ankou, OT William Poehls, DB Lafayette Pitts

.Buzz

We have this disaster situation on the OL, and their first OL claim is a guy who was an unrestricted free agent coming out of college in 2014 and has spent his entire career on the practice squad, never even being active for a game, let alone playing a snap in the NFL.

I hate this team.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

We have this disaster situation on the OL, and their first OL claim is a guy who was an unrestricted free agent coming out of college in 2014 and has spent his entire career on the practice squad, never even being active for a game, let alone playing a snap in the NFL.

I hate this team.

Again, final cuts and you expect to find quality players along the position group that is league wide bad?

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:
4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I hate this team.

Again, final cuts and you expect to find quality players along the position group that is league wide bad?

Yeah. I would have liked to see them go after some different guys (or a guard, more specifically), but I'm pretty indifferent either way.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

To add onto this from twitter, these guys watch tape. Not sure why it matters what he's done. If they see something on tape that intrigues them and makes them think he can be quality depth you do it. Who the hell cares what he was doing prior?

We make moves, "Who?!?!?." We don't make moves, "Why are we sitting on our hands, same ole Jaguars."

Lose-lose situation. It's final cuts. These are guys you watch on tape and see if they can improve you. We're talking about the last guys on our roster that are ST/depth guys, MAYBE guys who with a change of scenery become more but likely not. 

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Yeah. I would have liked to see them go after some different guys (or a guard, more specifically), but I'm pretty indifferent either way.

Dorian Johnson was a guy I liked the thought of, but word has it he went unclaimed by all 31 other NFL teams. I'd imagine there's a reason for it. I didn't watch the Cardinals or know anything about his medicals, but it must not be good both ways.

Just now, .Buzz said:

I expect better than a player who literally has never been able to make an NFL 53 man roster to make ours, yes. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Just now, iPwn said:

I expect better than a player who literally has never been able to make an NFL 53 man roster to make ours, yes. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Again, who cares what he did prior? They likely watched every snap of this guy has made this preseason and in prior seasons and see something on tape that thinks he can help. 

Just now, .Buzz said:

Again, who cares what he did prior? They likely watched every snap of this guy has made this preseason and in prior seasons and see something on tape that thinks he can help. 

What he did prior gives context for his body of work. He went undrafted, he didn’t make the roster of the team that signed him as a rookie, he bounced around from multiple teams, always unable to make a roster. He went to a OL needy team in Chicago and still couldn’t make their roster. The Bears actually lost their most important backup on the OL, they’re working with a mess to replace him, and still didn’t keep Poehls despite him having experience at both G and T. 

None of these by themselves mean much. Tony Romo and Hurns were undrafted. Other players have started out as practice squad players. Players have bounced around before finding a home. Players have been cut by bad teams and gone on to be good. But when you put all those together, it paints a pretty grim picture for what he actually offers. He’s about 100% likely to be a a guy that would have sat unsigned. 

Archived