Jaguars claim DT Eli Ankou, OT William Poehls, DB Lafayette Pitts

.Buzz

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

No one being picked up is more than a backup/3rd string OG/OT unless you get a young guy with upside (that isn't being let go) or sign a vested veteran (Greco I believe is, Boone, etc.).

Yes. But sign someone with actual upside or has showed some sort of glimmer rather than a guy who is just big and has never shown anything. 

Just now, iPwn said:

Yes. But sign someone with actual upside or has showed some sort of glimmer rather than a guy who is just big and has never shown anything. 

Again, I'm not sure I see anyone that was let go besides guys who are FA's and can sign with anyone on the waiver write with any upside really at all. William Poehls didn't allow a sack, hit, or hurry all preseason according to PFF. One of 7 OL to do that this preseason. I'd say he had a solid preseason, so I'm not sure where you got that info where he looked bad at OG.

2 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Sounds like no team put in a claim for Dorian Johnson though.

How many teams do you honestly think put in a claim for Poehls? I’ll eat that shoe you were supposed to eat for us not going 11-5 a while back if the actual number is higher than one.

Johnson probably sucks too, but at least there’s something that suggests some form of potential. 

Just now, iPwn said:

How many teams do you honestly think put in a claim for Poehls? I’ll eat that shoe you were supposed to eat for us not going 11-5 a while back if the actual number is higher than one.

Johnson probably sucks too, but at least there’s something that suggests some form of potential. 

In all reality I could care less about PFF and this stat as I didn't watch the tape, but this whole idea that this guy brings absolutely nothing to the table and is some awful pickup with no half way decent tape looks to be wrong to me...

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

I don't know. The amount of waiver claims for guys always surprises me (in both directions) so I don't think as a fan (even an informed one) that I have a good gauge of that.

I agree that Johnson would have been preferable, but it's really not something that I am going to throw my arms up or pound the table about, per se.

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Yeah, kind of what I figured. Houston has some really solid pieces on that DL.

Go from Charles who did have a solid preseason and quality depth to a young/upside piece in Ankou. I like it. 

15 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

In all reality I could care less about PFF and this stat as I didn't watch the tape, but this whole idea that this guy brings absolutely nothing to the table and is some awful pickup with no half way decent tape looks to be wrong to me...

I mean I actually watched the Bears preseason games because they’re on local TV. And I follow the Vic formula of not watching the ball, but watching the trenches instead, so even though he was third/4th string OL, I did see the large majority of his snaps. And he didn’t do anything worthwhile. I also don’t even think he had very many more than that minimum 38 snaps at T to make the graphic, either, honestly.

Also fairly certain from memory that he allowed pressure and at least one complete whiff that led to a sack when he played Guard, as well.

6 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I mean I actually watched the Bears preseason games. And I follow the Vic formula of not watching the ball, but watching the trenches instead, so even though he was third/4th string OL, I did see the large majority of his snaps. And he didn’t do anything worthwhile. I also don’t even think he had very many more than that minimum 38 snaps at T to make the graphic, either, honestly.

Also fairly certain from memory that he allowed pressure and at least one complete whiff that led to a sack when he played Guard, as well.

That's all fine, but again, we aren't getting a worthwhile OL piece off waivers at final cuts. This guy seems like he did at least something this preseason that was decent so we took a shot. I really don't get the problem. It's not an exciting move, but the only one that would have got us exciting from the waiver wire was a 4th rd pick who got cut and no team claimed likely due to on field performance and red flags medically that date back to the draft. There was legit no one else out there that would likely provide us with anything more than this guy will.

Guess I just don't see why this move should get anyone up in arms over. There is no one on waivers that was moving the needle. Boone/Greco would both be decent options for depth/possibly pushing for a starting spot, but they're FA's and can pick and choose where they want to play. Not sure Boone who is getting older and likely wants to win would want to come to a team that probably isn't going anywhere besides a top 10 pick.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

That's all fine, but again, we aren't getting a worthwhile OL piece off waivers at final cuts. This guy seems like he did at least something this preseason that was decent so we took a shot. I really don't get the problem. It's not an exciting move, but the only one that would have got us exciting from the waiver wire was a 4th rd pick who got cut and no team claimed likely due to on field performance and red flags medically that date back to the draft. There was legit no one else out there that would likely provide us with anything more than this guy will.

Guess I just don't see why this move should get anyone up in arms over. There is no one on waivers that was moving the needle. Boone/Greco would both be decent options for depth/possibly pushing for a starting spot, but they're FA's and can pick and choose where they want to play. Not sure Boone who is getting older and likely wants to win would want to come to a team that probably isn't going anywhere besides a top 10 pick.

The bolded is what it's really about though.  Maybe it's somewhat misdirected, but the fact people are upset we didn't miraculously find a better OL piece than this guy in some other team's dumpster is a symptom of the bigger problem here...The guys that just claimed Poehls, are the same guys who sat on their hands and didn't do nearly enough to improve the OLine earlier in the offseason when there's actually a chance of landing a decent OL piece.

The fact that fans are fretting over trying to find a quality OLineman off waivers is a product of a team having assembled a very poor OLine group.  So bad that some of us are actually worried about our 9th OLineman.  Desperation, is what it is.

Archived