Jaguars claim DT Eli Ankou, OT William Poehls, DB Lafayette Pitts

.Buzz

Just now, iPwn said:

What he did prior gives context for his body of work. He went undrafted, he didn’t make the roster of the team that signed him as a rookie, he bounced around from multiple teams, always unable to make a roster. He went to a OL needy team in Chicago and still couldn’t make their roster. The Bears actually lost their most important backup on the OL, they’re working with a mess to replace him, and still didn’t keep Poehls despite him having experience at both G and T. 

None of these by themselves mean much. Tony Romo and Hurns were undrafted. Other players have started out as practice squad players. Players have bounced around before finding a home. Players have been cut by bad teams and gone on to be good. But when you put all those together, it paints a pretty grim picture for what he actually offers. He’s about 100% likely to be a a guy that would have sat unsigned. 

Yes, I know what his NFL career has entailed. Doesn't change the fact that the scouts/Coughlin etc. obviously see something that makes them want to give him a shot. These guys we are talking about are the last few guys on our 53 man roster and likely aren't going to be anything more than depth fodder.

The guy is 6'8", 344, and apparently has started to work inside a bit while being an OT prior. Has some flexibility. Give him a shot and see what happens. 

10 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Sounds like Poehls also played some OG this preseason.

They also gave him starting reps during camp when Long was out. From all reports that I read while it happened, he completely bombed. 

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

That is probably why we are talking about him in a thread about players claimed off of the waiver wire.

Well yeah. I’m just saying a guy like Boone makes 1000000x more sense than a player who hasn’t shown anything. 

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yes, I know what his NFL career has entailed. Doesn't change the fact that the scouts/Coughlin etc. obviously see something that makes them want to give him a shot. These guys we are talking about are the last few guys on our 53 man roster and likely aren't going to be anything more than depth fodder.

The guy is 6'8", 344, and apparently has started to work inside a bit while being an OT prior. Has some flexibility. Give him a shot and see what happens. 

but is he better than Jeremiah Poutasi?

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

That is probably why we are talking about him in a thread about players claimed off of the waiver wire.

It's just comedy at this point honestly.

No guy who played half way decent in the preseason with any upside at all is being let go. They just aren't. OL is coveted league wide.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Well yeah. I’m just saying a guy like Boone makes 1000000x more sense than a player who hasn’t shown anything. 

Pretty sure Boone is an FA and is free to sign with anyone. He also has yet to sign, we could be on the phone with his agent now for all we know.

Just now, .Buzz said:

It's just comedy at this point honestly.

No guy who played half way decent in the preseason with any upside at all is being let go. They just aren't. OL is coveted league wide.

No, but you can find better than someone who has never made a roster. 

Just now, iPwn said:

No, but you can find better than someone who has never made a roster. 

Just because a guy has made an NFL roster previously doesn't mean he brings any more upside/help than this guy. This guy has size and has experience at a couple spots on the OL.

What other OL are we dumb for not picking up? I liked Schoefield from Denver a bit but then I saw the tirade from Mark Schlereth saying he shouldn't be on an NFL roster and the NFL game is way too much for the guy. 

No one being picked up is more than a backup/3rd string OG/OT unless you get a young guy with upside (that isn't being let go) or sign a vested veteran (Greco I believe is, Boone, etc.).

Archived