NFCN Rivals - Packers Thread

dll2000

It will be an entertaining year watching the Packers implode:

“Aaron and I have had some good talks, and we’re going to have to talk a lot more — and one thing we have to work through is the audible thing,” LaFleur explained. “We’re running a system I first picked up while working with Kyle (Shanahan) in Houston a decade ago, and we’ve never really had a quarterback who’s had complete freedom to change plays at the line, because that’s not really the way the offense is set up. But, I mean, this is Aaron Rodgers. He’s had a lot of freedom to make those calls, and deservedly so. Now, how do we reconcile that, and get to a place where we put him in the best position to succeed?”

"So, I know I told you I was done with Sheila, but she's totally changed man.  We're going to live together again, but we're going to set some boundaries, and she's not going to make me call her every hour when I'm out with you guys,  but we've got this app... anyway, it's totally going to be different and awesome again just like it was in college. "

or

"your honor, I'm remorseful, and will never do anything like this again"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

"So, I know I told you I was done with Sheila, but she's totally changed man.  We're going to live together again, but we're going to set some boundaries, and she's not going to make me call her every hour when I'm out with you guys,  but we've got this app... anyway, it's totally going to be different and awesome again just like it was in college. "

or

"your honor, I'm remorseful, and will never do anything like this again"

LOLOL.....happy0180.gif

That remorseful line sounds like it's straight out of a Bobby Bowden presser when he coached FSU.  hahaha

2 hours ago, dafreak said:

He’s had lot of freedom to make those calls, and deservedly so. Now, how do we reconcile that, and get to a place where we put him in the best position to succeed?”

Fixed to more accurately reflect true meaning.  LOL

"Had is past tense so I hope Aaron can read the part where I said  we’ve never really had a quarterback who’s had complete freedom to change plays at the line, because that’s not really the way the offense is set up."

Definition of "how do we reconcile that".

"How insistent can I be about no audibles and still get him to buy in and not pout".

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

Is this new or is this from the interview a few months ago. Either way I think it’s blown out of proportion. 

It is older but not sure it matters. Rodgers is a ******, this is not going to end well for Green Bay.

20 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

He flat out said he took less to come play with Jackson who convinced him to sign. 

He took less.  If Washington had offered him a long-term deal that he had been seeking from the Packers, why would he have signed a 1 year deal with Bears?  Players don't turn down significant long-term money to play with other players.

19 hours ago, soulman said:

The Bears don't have to figure anything out for him.  He wanted to play here in this defense in order to have a better shot at getting contract offers more in line with what he feels he's worth.  So, the onus to perform is all on him.  Either he does or he doesn't.

Comparing his play in GB once he was fed up and lost interest doesn't tell me anything about where his head is now. Plus the Bears DL and LBs are the principal run defenders leaving the Safeties free to make plays on the ball so what's expected of him may change.

You're also ignoring the rest of what I've posted.  We have two other veterans both of whom have started games at Safety and CB who can replace him if needed.  His only guarantee is $500k.  The rest will need to be earned week by week so our risk is low.

HHC-D was signed for his skills in pass defense and his ability to create turnovers.  He's not a "banger" and we all know that.  He's probably the 10th or 11th best guy on that entire defense just as Amos was so I don't think the Bears are gonna worry to much about a missed tackle or two.  If the rest comes together he'll earn is paychecks which are far less than what GB is paying Amos.

You're going from Adrian Amos who is probably the most boring, but "safe" safeties in the NFL and you swapped him for HHCD who consistently take bad angles to ball carrier and comes up weak in run support for the occasional interception.  Interceptions are largely about being in the right place at the right time, but if another interception or two is worth the TDs given up.  All the power to you.

Most players play up whenever they're in contract years.  He managed not just once, but twice play poorly in contracts for two separates teams.  That's a red flag.  I'm not committing serious money to a guy who shows up half the time.  Let's not kid ourselves, HHCD will be in the lineup come hell or high water.  Amos was definitely better than the 10th or 11th best guy on the defense, although this certainly seems like the exact opposite of the conversation I was having with @Pool last year when he was adamant he was an elite safety, and I said he was a steady safety.

19 hours ago, soulman said:

We don't know what Washington offered him.  All we know is he did sign with Chicago for $500k gtd.  That's it.  He can earn another $2.5 mil playing all 16 games and $250k more tied to some incentives which would be logical to assume may be based on turnovers. 

$3.25k is what he can get if he maxes out his deal.  If he dogs it this summer or early in the season he may walk away with far less and no hope of getting the kind of deal in 2020 he expects.  I'm willing to bet on that kind of motivation for just $500k in guaranteed money.

You can reasonably extrapolate that if Washington gave him a deal anywhere near where he thought his market value was, he would have taken it.  IF Washington offered a 4/$36M+, he would have signed with Washington.  But if Washington offered something like 2/$10M or something along those lines, it might make some sense to take less if he felt that playing in Chicago's defense would max out his value.

16 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Not at all what you said about him before he was cut.

There might be the occasional Clay homer who thought he was still good.  The guy hasn't been great in a few years.  He's a situational pass rusher at best in his career.  He needed to get out of Pettine's system though.

16 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He really, really wanted to be a Bear. There have been different articles with quotes from him and everything. Of course, that curtails our understanding of the market, but he wanted to play with Jackson again, and liked the vibe of the team. 

Yes.  Players are suddenly turning down long-term security to play for the Bears for a year.  Give me a break.  This is the usual media PR crap players.  I wanted to be a [insert new team here] speech.  Nothing more.

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He took less.  If Washington had offered him a long-term deal that he had been seeking from the Packers, why would he have signed a 1 year deal with Bears?  Players don't turn down significant long-term money to play with other players.

Ok don’t believe what he said. Have fun in Packerland. 

• Like 1

Just now, blkwdw13 said:

Ok don’t believe what he said. Have fun in Packerland. 

I'm just saying, if Washington offered him a deal anywhere near where he had his market set at, why would he settle for a 1 year, $3.25M deal with only 500k guaranteed?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

You're going from Adrian Amos who is probably the most boring, but "safe" safeties in the NFL and you swapped him for HHCD who consistently take bad angles to ball carrier and comes up weak in run support for the occasional interception.  Interceptions are largely about being in the right place at the right time, but if another interception or two is worth the TDs given up.  All the power to you.

Most players play up whenever they're in contract years.  He managed not just once, but twice play poorly in contracts for two separates teams.  That's a red flag.  I'm not committing serious money to a guy who shows up half the time.  Let's not kid ourselves, HHCD will be in the lineup come hell or high water.  Amos was definitely better than the 10th or 11th best guy on the defense, although this certainly seems like the exact opposite of the conversation I was having with @Pool last year when he was adamant he was an elite safety, and I said he was a steady safety.

Do you have a problem with understanding the written word?  Seems like it, and all you're doing is repeating yourself preaching to a choir of pretty intelligent fans who aren't as ill informed about HHC-D prior weaknesses as you seem to think we are.  You're posting like a non-stop 30 second tape loop of the same old material to guys who already have a clue about him.  He'll need to earn his spot here and keep it.

We didn't commit serious money to him.  We committed $500k at signing.  He can earn another $2.5 mil only if he's on the active roster for all 16 games.  $3 mil is pretty much backups money for an experienced former Pro Bowler.  Serious money is what Amos got and it was more than Pace could justify spending.  It's not as if he made no attempt to sign him.  He just wouldn't overpay by that much.

And I don't really care who you were debating his ranking with last year.  You're posting to me now and I believe I know my own team well enough to feel more correct about Amos than someone whose not a Bears fan.  He's a solid but unspectacular SS who comes to play every game and he won't hurt you in the secondary but he's not a play maker type like Jackson who'll make many game changing plays. 

Amos' play was also helped a great deal once he and Jackson were a pair.  Prior to that his staring job was anything but secure and Pace was signing vet Safeties in free agency each year to compete with him.  Of our starters in the secondary including Slot CB Bryce Callahan he would be the 5th best guy. 

Of the front seven I'd say only rookie Bilal Nichols might rank lower and he was coming on like gang busters late in the year as were Roquan Smith and Leonard Floyd so yeah, the 10th or 11th best defender is about right.  I'd hoped we'd be able to sign him but it's not as if he was irreplaceable and we did.  HHC-D also gives us a true FS type as depth behind Eddie Jackson which we did not have before.

I'm one who believes that had Jackson not been injured in the GB game and missed the playoffs the Philly game would never been in the hands of "Double Doink" to begin with.  Jackson and Callahan both missed that game and it hurt far more than if we'd have been missing Adrian Amos.  Truth be told our secondary looks better now and has more quality depth than it did last season.

So I don't know what else to tell you other than no one in that secondary can't be challenged.  It's unlikely anyone else will beat out Fuller, Amukamara, and Jackson but HHC-D is a newbie and he has at least 2 or 3 others who are gonna get looks at Safety.  Nothing is guaranteed to him but that $500k signing bonus.  If he wants the starters gig he's gonna need to earn it.  End of story.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

You can reasonably extrapolate that if Washington gave him a deal anywhere near where he thought his market value was, he would have taken it.  IF Washington offered a 4/$36M+, he would have signed with Washington.  But if Washington offered something like 2/$10M or something along those lines, it might make some sense to take less if he felt that playing in Chicago's defense would max out his value.

YOU can reasonably extrapolate whatever you like.  I prefer dealing with facts and I don't have those relative to what Washington may have offered him.  We also have no idea what other offers he claims to have turned down preferring instead to play in Chicago so I'm not gonna play guessing games about that either.

All we do know for a fact is he signed with the Bears and that's it.  How he'll perform and whether or not that leads to better offers in 2020 is still in the wind.  He has some talent and a ton of motivation to prove people wrong so we'll see.  All of the rest I believe I've covered in previous posts.  That's all I got.

• Like 1