NFCN Rivals - Packers Thread

dll2000

We run a very disciplined defense.  If HHC-D is not playing his role and free lancing too much the coaches won't be the only ones letting him know he's outta line.  Deon Bush and Sherrick McManis have played in that defense for three years or more so it's not as if we have no alternatives if a change is needed.  I can even see Bush pushing him all summer for the starting spot.

Ha ha took a one year deal for backup money and $500k gtd.  Even if we released him before the season began all we're out is $500k and we're no worse off than we were before we signed him.  It's virtually a risk free deal for an experienced former Pro Bowler with a lot on the line career wise and a huge amount of motivation to succeed big time but still playing within the scheme.

So we'll find out how good a deal he was soon enough.

As for Amos, other than Pep who wasn't even an original Bear, I can't think of even one former Bears player who left and joined GB whoever became an impact guy up there.  I liked Amos.  He gave 100% effort and I'm sure he will for GB as well.  But to us he was not worth the kind of money GB offered.  Not with a secondary that has two All Pros and an All World Edge Rusher at OLB.

Edited by soulman

On 7/24/2019 at 11:26 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

GB just let their best pass rusher go.  Somebody is going to sign him and greatly benefit.  

Lulz.  Clay Matthews has been a shell of his former self.  He's closer to a liability than a strength.

21 hours ago, soulman said:

We run a very disciplined defense.  If HHC-D is not playing his role and free lancing too much the coaches won't be the only ones letting him know he's outta line.  Deon Bush and Sherrick McManis have played in that defense for three years or more so it's not as if we have no alternatives if a change is needed.  I can even see Bush pushing him all summer for the starting spot.

Redskins fans said the same thing when they acquired HHCD before the deadline, and they were done with him shortly after acquiring him.  If you think that the Bears are suddenly going to figure out how to get him to take good angles to ball carriers and not play soft, all the power to you.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Redskins fans said the same thing when they acquired HHCD before the deadline, and they were done with him shortly after acquiring him.  If you think that the Bears are suddenly going to figure out how to get him to take good angles to ball carriers and not play soft, all the power to you.

I find it interesting that you say this when the Redskins wanted to resign him to a longer bigger contract. How he works out with the Bears for one year is yet to be determined. 

Edited by blkwdw13
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, blkwdw13 said:

I find it interesting that you say this when the Redskins wanted to resign him to a longer bigger contract. How he works out with the Bears for one year is yet to be determined. 

Washington wanted to sign him to a multi-year deal worth more money, but he signed a 1 year, $3.25M deal with the Bears.  Either he really, really wanted to be a Bear or the market was really dry.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Washington wanted to sign him to a multi-year deal worth more money, but he signed a 1 year, $3.25M deal with the Bears.  Either he really, really wanted to be a Bear or the market was really dry.

He flat out said he took less to come play with Jackson who convinced him to sign. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The Bears don't have to figure anything out for him.  He wanted to play here in this defense in order to have a better shot at getting contract offers more in line with what he feels he's worth.  So, the onus to perform is all on him.  Either he does or he doesn't.

Comparing his play in GB once he was fed up and lost interest doesn't tell me anything about where his head is now. Plus the Bears DL and LBs are the principal run defenders leaving the Safeties free to make plays on the ball so what's expected of him may change.

You're also ignoring the rest of what I've posted.  We have two other veterans both of whom have started games at Safety and CB who can replace him if needed.  His only guarantee is $500k.  The rest will need to be earned week by week so our risk is low.

HHC-D was signed for his skills in pass defense and his ability to create turnovers.  He's not a "banger" and we all know that.  He's probably the 10th or 11th best guy on that entire defense just as Amos was so I don't think the Bears are gonna worry to much about a missed tackle or two.  If the rest comes together he'll earn is paychecks which are far less than what GB is paying Amos.

55 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We don't know what Washington offered him.  All we know is he did sign with Chicago for $500k gtd.  That's it.  He can earn another $2.5 mil playing all 16 games and $250k more tied to some incentives which would be logical to assume may be based on turnovers. 

$3.25k is what he can get if he maxes out his deal.  If he dogs it this summer or early in the season he may walk away with far less and no hope of getting the kind of deal in 2020 he expects.  I'm willing to bet on that kind of motivation for just $500k in guaranteed money.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Lulz.  Clay Matthews has been a shell of his former self.  He's closer to a liability than a strength.

Not at all what you said about him before he was cut.

4 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

That’s interesting to me, I thought the Browns were a good landing spot for him. 

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Oh well, whatever...

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He really, really wanted to be a Bear. There have been different articles with quotes from him and everything. Of course, that curtails our understanding of the market, but he wanted to play with Jackson again, and liked the vibe of the team.