AJ Green carted off the field

SBLIII

18 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

6-8 weeks. Wow, thats rough. Normally he starts off great and then gets hurt. Sorry to hear that. Isn't he entering a contract year soon?

Season starts in 6 weeks.  So he basically misses the first two weeks.

It's not great, but it's not the end of the world.

27 minutes ago, theJ said:

What would even be the point?  To get a 5th round pick back?  There's almost literally no value in a 5th round pick.  Very few of them pan out.

Yeah he's in the last year of his deal, but they should have no qualms about franchising him for one year.  And i still think they can work out a deal before the season starts.  The injury shouldn't have a bearing on that.

I said in my post that I thought they could get a second, so I'm not sure where the fifth rounder comes into play. Probably more likely that it's conditional, as jaguar said, but 2nd as top end of range is feasible at least. 

33 minutes ago, theJ said:

Season starts in 6 weeks.  So he basically misses the first two weeks.

It's not great, but it's not the end of the world.

Considering his issues with injuries though it looks pretty bad for his value that he is already hurt. So its 2 games assuming the time he’s out is on the lower end

AJ Green turns 31 in 2 days.  I would say the smart thing to do is let him play out this season, and franchise tag him for next season.  If some team is willing to part with a 2nd round pick, then you can explore a trade but at this point I'm still holding on to him for this season and next...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I said in my post that I thought they could get a second, so I'm not sure where the fifth rounder comes into play. Probably more likely that it's conditional, as jaguar said, but 2nd as top end of range is feasible at least. 

5th is a more reasonable pick comp for his situation.  I think a 2nd rounder is out of the question, honestly.  And even then, i'm not sure that's really worth it.  

IMO, picks are severely overvalued in today's NFL.  The hit rate is pretty bad, plus it's a future payback as opposed to immediate.  I'd only really be interested in a player for player deal, and those are seldom done.

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

5th is a more reasonable pick comp for his situation.  I think a 2nd rounder is out of the question, honestly.  And even then, i'm not sure that's really worth it.  

IMO, picks are severely overvalued in today's NFL.  The hit rate is pretty bad, plus it's a future payback as opposed to immediate.  I'd only really be interested in a player for player deal, and those are seldom done.

The eagles gave up a third for Golden Tate. Demaryius Thomas got a fourth. If he's back and healthy during the season and playing well through the deadline, good compensation  is reasonable. Plus, the compensation would have to be greater than the compensatory pick they would receive if he leaves. So it would be solid, regardless (depending on health and play). 

Now, if they want to re-sign him, that's a different story. I'm just not sure why that would be the direction that they go. I suppose just tagging him would be an option, so if that's the intent, that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Now, if they want to re-sign him, that's a different story. I'm just not sure why that would be the direction that they go. I suppose just tagging him would be an option, so if that's the intent, that makes sense. 

They would like to re-sign him because they believe they have a competitive team.  They're not throwing in the towel.

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

They would like to re-sign him because they believe they have a competitive team.  They're not throwing in the towel.

This is the crux of why i don't understand half of the comments in this thread saying the Bengals need to trade him.  No one would argue that Julio Jones should be traded, yet because the Bengals are predicted to be bad, they're seen as morons for holding onto a valuable asset.  

They think they can contend, so they're going to hold onto him.  They also know they can franchise him for 2020 (or get a 2021 comp pick), so they're not going to trade him for peanuts at the trade deadline.

5 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Nah.  Cody Core about to go HAM.

Joking aside, the 3 WR sets initially will be Tyler Boyd, John Ross, and Josh Malone.  Alex Erickson will get plenty of playing time as well.  From what I've read they love him, and not to stereotype, but I could see Zac Taylor looking at Erickson as his Kupp.

After those 4, Auden Tate and Cody Core will be fighting for reps.  Tate is the guy I see winning that battle, but we'll see...

A sprain is a tear of at least one ligament. So technically you can completely rupture your ACL and it's still considered a sprain. One can assume that AJ Green doesn't get carted off the field with a Grade 1 lateral ankle sprain. This is likely at least a moderate ankle sprain that will keep him out at least 2-3 weeks.

12 hours ago, theJ said:

This is the crux of why i don't understand half of the comments in this thread saying the Bengals need to trade him.  No one would argue that Julio Jones should be traded, yet because the Bengals are predicted to be bad, they're seen as morons for holding onto a valuable asset.  

They think they can contend, so they're going to hold onto him.  They also know they can franchise him for 2020 (or get a 2021 comp pick), so they're not going to trade him for peanuts at the trade deadline.

Julio Jones has had less injury concerns than AJ Green, which is saying something. AJ has had a lot of leg injuries now. People have said you are better off trading him early than before its too late. Well, it might already be too late to get good value for what he brings when he is on the field. 

Julio also has had his deal reworked several times and the falcons pay their guys. Mike brown doesnt, so most people assume that with WR contracts being the way they are, that Mike Brown wont want to pay him what someone else will. 

What is the franchise tag amount on WRs? Must be pretty high. my guess is like 16 or 17 million. Do you honestly expect mike brown to pay him that much for one year, assuming he comes back for 8ish games this year and has like 600 yards and 4 TDs? 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Julio also has had his deal reworked several times and the falcons pay their guys. Mike brown doesnt

This is a gross misconception.

4 hours ago, N4L said:

What is the franchise tag amount on WRs? Must be pretty high. my guess is like 16 or 17 million. Do you honestly expect mike brown to pay him that much for one year, assuming he comes back for 8ish games this year and has like 600 yards and 4 TDs? 

No, i expect that they'll reach a deal before the season starts, like they did last time when everyone expected AJ to walk.