Jaguars waive QB Brandon Allen

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Because it’s quite clear that the team wanted him going forward and it was stupid to chance him getting signed when that was the case.

This is the third year in a row they have tried being cute by stashing a guy who they clearly wanted and watched another team sign them.

While that may be true, that they seem to have issues with getting the guys they expect to their PS...in this case, does it even really matter?  I'm sure we can find a PS quarterback somewhere.  Bring back the Stephen Morris project for all it really matters.  lol.  There are guys out there who can run a scout team and let the QB coach tinker around instead of keeping an eye on Bortles slipping mechanics or whatever.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

We needed a scout team/3rd QB on the PS. He knows the offense and has been around. Of course we likely wanted him back, but that doesn't mean we should have kept open a spot on the 53 for a 3rd string QB.

With Blake’s injury protection in his contract, I mean you do want a third QB on the roster available.

It doesn’t matter. He’s a crap player. But it’s just hilarious watching this team actively make it obvious they want someone long term and then hope no other team notices the player is available. Just another example of their incompetence.

Just now, iPwn said:

With Blake’s injury protection in his contract, I mean you do want a third QB on the roster available.

It doesn’t matter. He’s a crap player. But it’s just hilarious watching this team actively make it obvious they want someone long term and then hope no other team notices the player is available. Just another example of their incompetence.

Of course, and they will. But I don't think the 3rd string guy is getting a shot either way. As you just said, he's a crap player that is likely at best a decent backup (that isn't now though). Why would we keep open a roster spot for that? Give me a guy that can be solid on ST and help this team rather than a 3rd string QB (which we can still get) that isn't going to see the field for a second.

Again, you keep calling us incompetent and yet this happens everywhere all the time. The Redskins just lost Nate Sudfeld (another 3rd string/development/minimal upside guy) who they clearly wanted on the team and lost him to a different team.

We've made plenty of bonehead decisions in the past but this seriously isn't one of them. 

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

While that may be true, that they seem to have issues with getting the guys they expect to their PS...in this case, does it even really matter?  I'm sure we can find a PS quarterback somewhere.  Bring back the Stephen Morris project for all it really matters.  lol.  There are guys out there who can run a scout team and let the QB coach tinker around instead of keeping an eye on Bortles slipping mechanics or whatever.

They quite clearly didn’t just want him for a scout team QB. Which is a problem in itself.

And does this specific instance matter? No. He sucks, just like every other QB on the team. It’s just another example of them being unable to do anything without shooting themselves in the crotch. 

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

As you just said, he's a crap player that is likely at best a decent backup (that isn't now though). Why would we keep open a roster spot for that? Give me a guy that can be solid on ST and help this team

At least I’m glad you’re admitting the Poehls signing was stupid now.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

We've made plenty of bonehead decisions in the past but this seriously isn't one of them. 

Not every time you blow through a red light is it going to cause an accident. It doesn’t mean that all the times you get off scott-free weren’t stupid.

9 minutes ago, iPwn said:

At least I’m glad you’re admitting the Poehls signing was stupid now.

Except I'm not. We've had Allen on this roster for how long now and he still can't get put above the PS and looked pretty poor against 2nd/3rd stringers. Poehls is a guy we picked from someone elses roster that we wanted to take a look at and see if he can be an upgrade to our 3rd string OL in Poutasi. Poehls very well could be off this team this or next week if he doesn't show the staff something.

We're talking about the back end of the roster. We need a reserve OL more than we do a developmental/3rd string QB that shouldn't see the field.

5 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Not every time you blow through a red light is it going to cause an accident. It doesn’t mean that all the times you get off scott-free weren’t stupid.

Go ahead and keep acting like losing a player that we wanted on the scout/developmental team being lost is the end of the world if you want man. I don't care. Just because we wanted to see us be able to retain him on the PS doesn't mean we should have left open a roster spot for him.

I just gave you another example off the top of my head. It seriously happens to every team all the time.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Go ahead and keep acting like losing a player that we wanted on the scout/developmental team being lost is the end of the world if you want man.

Where did I ever imply this? I’ve said twice now that he’s a crap player and that this specific instance isn’t going to change anything.

I’m speaking of something higher level here. The team doesn’t get it. They just don’t. They can’t think beyond a base level. This is a pattern of behavior that is completely evident. They don’t ever think past what is staring them right in the face, and it always backfires. It leads to minor things that don’t matter like this. But this same issue is the exact same underlying issue that makes a team dumb enough to think they can get a gunslinger to play like Alex Smith without falling to pieces. 

Yes, it happens to other teams. Sometimes you misjudge. But it should not be happening every year to the same team. It should not happen four out of five seasons to the same team. And it absolutelt shouldn’t happen four out of five seasons to a team that doesn’t even have a single good depth player to begin with.

I don’t care about Brandon Allen. I don’t care about the Fullback they lost to the Bucs. I don’t care about Tyrone Holmes. I don’t care about the other crap players they have lost. I care about the bigger picture that these moves are symptomatic of. I care that this team never looks even a step ahead. I care that the team continues to miss the forest for the trees. I care that this team somehow thinks that they can dig themselves out of this decade deep hole they’ve dug by just focusing on what’s in front of them without any of the slightest concert for what might even be one step ahead, let alone a year or two down the line.

Brandon Allen being on our 53 or PS isn’t going to make even the slightest difference with this team for this season or going forward. But the behavior pattern that made them lose Allen is why they’re going to be picking top 5 yet again, because they can’t think of anything but what’s staring them in the face. And I’m tired of it. 

Archived