Training camp!

theJ

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

hmm...Still early but I hear Jerry and Hopkins are in the mix for the starting LG position.  Doesn't look like Westerman will amount to much for us...

We'll see.  Hopkins did well at center last year, but was actually worse than Redmond at guard the year before.  As long as they let it be a competition,  I've got no preference. 

16 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

We'll see.  Hopkins did well at center last year, but was actually worse than Redmond at guard the year before.  As long as they let it be a competition,  I've got no preference. 

I think we'll see the best guard out there.  This year's competition lasted more than one practice, so i have some more trust than i did last year.

I know Hopkins struggled at guard previously, but he is still relatively young.  I think he can play guard at a high level.

I'm honestly more worried about the LT and RT positions.  Hearing reports of Carl Lawson and others destroying those spots during camp.  It'll be good to see them against another team to understand if it's just Lawson being that good, or if Glenn/Hart are just that bad.

:x Lawson

Damien Willis, Stanley Morgan, and Auden Tate making some noise at WR.  The top 3 remains Green/Boyd/Ross, but the bottom half of the WR depth chart could potentially be flipped with the new staff.  I think Malone and Erickson have a fighting shot still, but I think Core is done.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

While Geno is still #1 in my heart, Carl Lawson is a close second.  Love the comments he made in this interview.  Lawson better be a Bengal for life:

I'm really excited to see what he can do this year.  I don't think many outside of Cincinnati know him, but they're going to learn about him this year.

13 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

:x Lawson

Damien Willis, Stanley Morgan, and Auden Tate making some noise at WR.  The top 3 remains Green/Boyd/Ross, but the bottom half of the WR depth chart could potentially be flipped with the new staff.  I think Malone and Erickson have a fighting shot still, but I think Core is done.

The real test starts in a few days.

I think we'll see Boyd and Ross play a series or two the first two games.  The rest of them are going to play extensively, and three that shine in pads on both offense and special teams are the ones who will make the team.  Traditionally Malone has faded to the background when the game starts and Erickson shines.  Last year Tate was hit or miss during the games (mostly miss).  But they all have an equal chance this year.

That being said, i fully expect Erickson to make the team.  He's still the primary returner.  After that, i think it'll be Tate and Morgan.  But again, there are four preseason games between now and then.

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Not John Jerry at least...

I get the sense they're trying everyone there, and may not name a starter until shortly before week 1.  Or maybe we find out when that guy takes the field week 1 for the first snap.

Which is fine by me.  Should get the best guy that way.

• 2 weeks later...