The WR battle of 2019

gopherwrestler

Outside of WR1 & WR2 there is a battle for every single WR spot on the roster. 

Whose the favorites to make the rest of the Roster?

Who turns out to be our WR3?

Here is Zimmer's latest comments on the Rookies;

EAkw3OtU0AEwkQa?format=png&name=small

With nobody performing well, does Treadwell actually make the roster?

Is there a chance we look to another Veteran WR to bring in yet in camp? (Garçon, Crabtree)

Is this truly the position we have with the least “depth”?

What is you’re biggest concern with this WR grouping?

Beebe and Taylor should be fine for WR3 and WR4. I think Beebe will actually be good. 

Too early to give up on the rookies, but if they don't earn roster spots Zylstra is WR5 and they don't really need a WR6.

My biggest concern with that group is health. The depth has all missed considerable time with injuries over the past year. 

I don't hate the idea of bringing in a vet possession receiver but I doubt they will as long as Beebe stays healthy. 

I really doubt Treadwell makes it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krauser said:

My biggest concern with that group is health. The depth has all missed considerable time with injuries over the past year. 

Zimmer Agrees.

But I do agree with you. Diggs, Thielen, Beebe, and Taylor all have had past injury issues than have slowed them down and kept them off the field.

my only issue is I don’t even know where to go in the WR vet market to find health. 

Garcon is probably the best fit, and has experience with Cousins, but he also has health issues.

Treadwells biggest shot is still going to come down to special teams, and availability/health, and the fact of being a 1st Round pick, I still give him a better shot to make the team than most people do. 

WR1 - Diggs

WR2 - Thielen

WR3 - Beebe

WR4 - Mitchell

WR5 - Zylstra 

I think WR5 will really come down to special teams ability between Treadwell, Taylor, and Zylstra. Given the skill set that these three bring to the offense, I see them losing almost all of their offensive snaps to to Irv Smith. 

Edited by SemperFeist

Diggs
Thielen
Beebe

These three are the only for sure guys and so most think Treadwell will be cut then?  I hope Zylstra or Taylor make it, especially Jordan Taylor that guy has a ton of ability and we need a big body WR to make plays down field and fit that profile.  Obviously without Treadwell no WR is really that big or physical at all, Taylor is a jump ball big body WR who can go up and get it which I like, I would be shocked if he does not make the team.

Saw this while looking up Treadwell's stats, that would be interesting to just get rid of him right now.  But who knows, depends on their faith in these rookies and guys like Zylstra and Taylor.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/07/28/minnesota-vikings-trade-partner-treadwell/

Biggest question to me are the rookies Johnson and Mitchell.  Sure Mitchell physically could make the team but still a little upset about the players they passed on late in that draft at WR.  Here is the list as far as I can tell of UDFA WRs they could have gotten late 7th round or even as UDFA pickups.  I would easily have taken any of these top 9 players, hell if they would have taken Dortch or Davis either one could be a damn return man in the punt game and are more proven in doing that than Beebe is but I do love Beebe's slot WR potential.

Stanley Morgan
Anthony Johnson
Greg Dortch
Ryan Davis
Emanuel Hall
David Sills
Jamal Custis
Jazz Ferguson
Antoine Wesley
Jakobi Meyers
Cody Thompson
Tyre Brady
Felton Davis III
Tyron Johnson
Johnnie Dixon
Jaylen Smith
Preston Wiliams
Nyqwan Murray
DeMarkus Lodge

Edited by Ozzy

I feel we're in trouble on the outside if Diggs or Thielen go down. Beebe is just a slot WR.  Depth is an issue here which is worrisome given that Diggs has a history of minor injuries.

We can't have backups capable of putting up 1k yards of needed, but having to put Treadwell out there again speaks to how poor the depth is. Taylor might be okay, maybe Mitchell can surprise and take Robinsons old role.

Edited by vikingsrule

How many teams are realistically deep enough at WR where, if a WR1 or WR2 goes down, they can have confidence that they won’t lose much production? Not many. I think it’s an overblown problem at this point. Thielen, Diggs and Beebe will be an excellent trip if they’re all healthy. I think that’s the way we need to look at things. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

How many teams are realistically deep enough at WR where, if a WR1 or WR2 goes down, they can have confidence that they won’t lose much production? Not many. I think it’s an overblown problem at this point. Thielen, Diggs and Beebe will be an excellent trip if they’re all healthy. I think that’s the way we need to look at things. 

Very true, here are a few that I could think of.  I hope Beebe can become a legit 3rd option WR but as of now he has done little to nothing in the NFL

Atlanta: Jones, Sanu, Ridley, Hardy

LA Rams: Cooks, Kupp, Woods, Reynolds, Proehl

Browns: Beckham, Landry, Callaway, Higgins

Buccaneers: Evans, Godwin, Perriman, A. Johnson

Steelers: Smith-Schuster, Washington, Moncrief, Switzer, D. Johnson

Crazy to say but the Bucs last year had Evans, Godwin, DeSean Jackson and Humphries last year but the last two are now with Eagles and Titans.  Not to mention OJ Howard at TE and Brate.  

Anyway all these teams have legit three and potentially four, especially the Falcons, Rams and Browns.  Vikings have two legit ones and the rest as of now is totally up in the air.  Lucky for them they will play more two TEs so maybe that is not that big of an issue with Smith and Rudolph playing a lot more.

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Crazy to say but the Bucs last year had Evans, Godwin, DeSean Jackson and Humphries last year but the last two are now with Eagles and Titans.  Not to mention OJ Howard at TE and Brate.  

Anyway all these teams have legit three and potentially four, especially the Falcons, Rams and Browns.  Vikings have two legit ones and the rest as of now is totally up in the air.  Lucky for them they will play more two TEs so maybe that is not that big of an issue with Smith and Rudolph playing a lot more.

Yeah, I see the Vikings utilizing Rudy and Smith a lot. I like the idea of basically using Smith as an inline WR3 or splitting out to be WR4 when they go with five pass catchers. 

This is a big reason I loved the Smith Jr. pick. I think he provides this offense with so much more flexibility than a traditional WR3 or 4 would have. 

Beebe should be able to carve out a nice role and will do fine in his niche. But we don't have to rely on him to put up Edelman or Welker stats. 

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

Yeah, I see the Vikings utilizing Rudy and Smith a lot. I like the idea of basically using Smith as an inline WR3 or splitting out to be WR4 when they go with five pass catchers. 

This is a big reason I loved the Smith Jr. pick. I think he provides this offense with so much more flexibility than a traditional WR3 or 4 would have. 

Beebe should be able to carve out a nice role and will do fine in his niche. But we don't have to rely on him to put up Edelman or Welker stats. 

I like the two TE set a lot also especially in the run game and what you can do off it with the play action and roll outs if Kirk Cousins can figure out how to throw well on a roll play action.  But yeah with two TEs having only two legit WRs that are proven is not as big of a deal.  Would not mind some HB stuff with Smith either since he is so small.  They will have to use Morgan as a blocker a lot also but that is no big deal.

Really curious if Kirk can do that type of athletic movement in the run game because I would not call him a great play action passing QB at all much less a QB who can throw well on the roll out or on the move.  Especially with the more athletic OL they will be slanting a lot and pulling and doing boot leg actions or at least should be.

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I would say quit trying to be deceptive with splash headlines.  This is what it says in the article also.

"And yet every year, he’s well down the list in the percentage of play-action passes run. In 2015 he ranked 18th, 15th in 2016 and 2017, and 20th last year."

Sure his passer rating is higher because he is asked to do it less thus is more successful.  So no I would not call him the best play action passer in the NFL, that is a joke.  Maybe he will do great this year with it but I have my doubts. He is down on that list because he does not have the mobility other QBs have.  He is not great throwing on the move, sure shot gun play action but that is not really a true play action pass I would say, it is just a simple quick and easy fake.  Pretty sure I have went over this before but his boot leg ability I question under center, getting to the spot and doing a good enough fake to affect the defense.  

Will see how he does because in this offense with this personnel they would be dumb not to run bootlegs or under center play action.  No way would I call him some magician with the ball or great play action fake ball handler as a QB.

So he’s in the middle third of the NFL in play action attempts and has been the best at it in the opportunities he’s been given. 

Perhaps your evaluation of him as a play action passer is wrong. There are other articles out there with NFL scouts saying that he’s so deceptive because his handoff and play action fake look identical. A quick google search will turn up plenty of material praising play action as one of Kirk’s biggest strengths. 

Edited by JDBrocks