The WR battle of 2019

gopherwrestler

1 minute ago, gopackgo247 said:

damn thats a shame. he couldve used another year in college. so its either practice squad, Canada or the job market. he didnt get his degree either so well see how that pans out. his attitude is always what held him back. 

He is awfully raw...he will need some time.  

39 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

damn thats a shame. he couldve used another year in college. so its either practice squad, Canada or the job market. he didnt get his degree either so well see how that pans out. his attitude is always what held him back. 

I would agree with that, he should have came back another year for sure.  The Ducks are loaded and arguably a national title contender, I was surprised when he did come out, honestly he is lucky to be drafted.  He is arguably more talented than Bisi Johnson but Johnson could be a backup return man and is a better route runner and is more likely to make the squad.  

Mitchell has some explosive athletic ability that is for sure but took him so long to be even ok in college, was not great out the gate.  In terms of his degree I believe he can go back at any time and finish that, so that is not that big of a deal many athletes leave early then return to school in the summer to complete their degree.  Still he could have been part of something special maybe for Oregon this year, that he cannot go back and do again.

Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Laquon Treadwell has been fined $28,075 for an illegal blindside block against the New Orleans Saints, according to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press.

On the penultimate on the first half of last week’s first preseason game, Treadwell delivered a blindside block to Saints safety Chris Banjo as he chased tight end Irv Smith Jr. The banning of blindside blocks was among the highlighted points made in the league’s preseason officiating video presented to each team during training camp. Banjo was laterally chasing Smith along the sideline when Treadwell, who had a run a route deeper downfield, doubled back and blasted Banjo in the direction of the Vikings own end line, which is a textbook violation of the rule.

Treadwell: “I made a terrible play in the game, that was dumb of me. I hurt the team. That’s something I’ve got to change. I’ve just got to clean that up and play a little smarter, protect guys out there, save a little money in the back end, and make plays.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/21/report-laquon-treadwell-fined-for-illegal-block-against-saints/

48 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think fines/suspensions for on field play during the preseason are ridiculous. 

Preseason games are nothing more than practice, where players, coaches, and officials are trying to work through things before the regular season. 

Not a much better way to get people to stop doing it than to fine em for it

Seems like MN needs to go out and get a veteran WR. Doesn't seem like Zimmer is happy with the group. Wonder if a decent option will be cut in the next couple of weeks. Any idea who may be cut?

Struggling to see a 5th WR worthy of a roster spot. Beebe and Johnson are probably close to sure things at this point. 

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems like MN needs to go out and get a veteran WR. Doesn't seem like Zimmer is happy with the group. Wonder if a decent option will be cut in the next couple of weeks. Any idea who may be cut?

I wonder what NE will do with Josh Gordon, now that he's reinstated...again?  Gordon is pretty good to great when he's playing...of course...the issue is can a team trust him to actually be available to play.  I hope that he gets to the place where he can manage his addiction and stay sober.  He needs to do that now if he hopes to have an NFL career.  Could Zimmer keep him on a short leash any better than Belicheck?

I think Zylstra made a pretty good case for WR5 in the last game. Could be the competition he faced, but I liked what I saw. Seemed completely different relative to last year. Perhaps he was injured. With Beebe and Johnson and Irv Smith Jr, I don’t think we have an urgent need for a filler veteran receiver. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I wonder what NE will do with Josh Gordon, now that he's reinstated...again?  Gordon is pretty good to great when he's playing...of course...the issue is can a team trust him to actually be available to play.  I hope that he gets to the place where he can manage his addiction and stay sober.  He needs to do that now if he hopes to have an NFL career.  Could Zimmer keep him on a short leash any better than Belicheck?

Do we really want Zimmer that focused on his 3rd WR compared to managing the team and defense? I don't think it would happen, especially after Hill's issues.

Edited by vikingsrule

29 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Struggling to see a 5th WR worthy of a roster spot. Beebe and Johnson are probably close to sure things at this point. 

The 5th WR will only be on the team because of his special teams skills.  As far as actual offensive play, the 5th WR is a non-factor, so it doesn't really matter who it is.  Even if a guy is brought in, it still will only be about special teams.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

What else would Zylstra have had to do to be worthy of a roster spot? He caught all 5 targets vs Seattle including several contested catches on 3rd downs, plus scored a TD. He's making the team, and I think he's WR4. 

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The 5th WR will only be on the team because of his special teams skills.  As far as actual offensive play, the 5th WR is a non-factor, so it doesn't really matter who it is.  Even if a guy is brought in, it still will only be about special teams.  

I'm hoping that they could find a WR who might be good enough to push for the 3rd spot. Not sure who will be available, but I'm not concerned about finding a #5 quality WR, we've got too many too of those as it is in Beebe, Johnson and Zylstra. Seems no one has really seperated themselves.

1 minute ago, Krauser said:

What else would Zylstra have had to do to be worthy of a roster spot? He caught all 5 targets vs Seattle including several contested catches on 3rd downs, plus scored a TD. He's making the team, and I think he's WR4. 

Maybe I'm selling him short. I'd just take Johnson over him given the age difference if it comes down to those two for that final spot.

Again, I'm implying and perhaps wishfully hoping for a veteran to be added to the mix by week 2.

25 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Maybe I'm selling him short. I'd just take Johnson over him given the age difference if it comes down to those two for that final spot.

Final spot, like they only keep 4 WRs? Or final spot like someone else is WR4 (and Beebe is WR3)?

I think it'll be Badet vs Johnson for WR5 (special teams and depth), with Beebe and Zylstra as WR3/WR4 (actually used in game situations as WRs even when everyone's healthy). 

• Like 1