The WR battle of 2019

gopherwrestler

I like Zylstra, but I think, in the end, it comes down to him vs. Badet for me.  I personally think Bisi has done enough in games to earn a spot.  If it's Badet, then Bisi is the 4th and Badet is the 5th...if it's Zylstra, then Zylstra is #4 and Bisi is #5.  That's just the way I see it.  

What is it that leads us to believe that Bisi has earned a spot?  I haven't seen close to enough out of him to conclude he has earned a spot. He is a seventh round pick. He looks like the type of guy that the team can waive and bring back to the practice squad if they are interested in continuing to develop.

The WR depth looks pretty poor. Bisi not showing much is as much a part of that as the other options not showing much. To me, Zylstra has shown more than the rest and I don't even think that he has earned a spot. Some of them will make the team because the team needs to have bodies there but I haven't seen enough to make me feel like whoever those guys are will have earned the spot. Perhaps someone will earn a spot in the third preseason game. We'll see.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

What is it that leads us to believe that Bisi has earned a spot?  I haven't seen close to enough out of him to conclude he has earned a spot. He is a seventh round pick. He looks like the type of guy that the team can waive and bring back to the practice squad if they are interested in continuing to develop.

The WR depth looks pretty poor. Bisi not showing much is as much a part of that as the other options not showing much. To me, Zylstra has shown more than the rest and I don't even think that he has earned a spot. Some of them will make the team because the team needs to have bodies there but I haven't seen enough to make me feel like whoever those guys are will have earned the spot. Perhaps someone will earn a spot in the third preseason game. We'll see.

Because of Zimmer's comments about him in particular, as well as other media reports.  While Zimmer has generally dismissed the performances of that section of WRs as a whole, when he has commented about specific WRs, his comments about Bisi are generally positive.  That's why I believe that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I agree. Just seems the backup WRs are gong to make the team because of the need for bodies rather than actually having players who've really stood out. But that's the result of relying on undrafted players or seventh round picks to fill those voids, which was inevitable given the need to pay players elsewhere. Also hurts that Treadwell has yet to do anything this preseason, in year 4, against 2nd and 3rd stringers. 

• Like 1

Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs are locks to make the team, while Chad Beebe has shown his versatility with his receiving skills, as well as on special teams with his ability to return punts and hold for field goals and extra points. Behind them, a two players have impressed in each of the Vikings first two preseason games. Bisi Johnson had two catches for 35 yards and a score against New Orleans, and Brandon Zylstra caught all five targets Sunday for 37 yards and a touchdown. The rest of the wide receivers room features a group of players trying to make their mark. Laquon Treadwell is a former first-round pick, and Jordan Taylor is trying to make the roster after missing all of 2018 with Denver. Jeff Badet is a speedster who has shown potential as a kick returner.

Zimmer said during camp that the final few roster spots at wide receiver could go to players who stand out in the third phase of the game.

Zimmer:  “Obviously what we’re looking at first is receivers, but if they can separate themselves by playing special teams, that will be a big plus for them."

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-roster-spots-current-offense-mikezimmer-era-trends?sf217897257=1 

For me, Johnson just looks the part as an outside receiver. He appears physical, has solid hands, and as we saw against New Orleans, he can win a jump ball. 

Johnson had the great catch against New Orleans, and he should have drawn a DPI in the end zone against Seattle.Right now he looks like more of a big play threat that Zylstra. 

Its great that Zylstra caught all 5 passes thrown his way, but at 5 YPC, it just doesn’t really move the needle. 

• Like 2

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Its great that Zylstra caught all 5 passes thrown his way, but at 5 YPC, it just doesn’t really move the needle. 

5 YPC does move the needle when those 5 catches produced 3 first downs, a successful red zone play and a TD:

• 10 yards on 3rd and 9
  • 4 yards on 3rd and 2
  • 4 yards on 1st and goal from the 6
  • 15 yards on 1st and 10
  • 4 yards on 2nd and goal, TD
  • Like 5

How about swapping Laquon Treadwell for former Bears receiver Kevin White, who was just released by the Cardinals?  He has had a lot of injuries during his time in the league, but if he isn't depended upon to play a lot, maybe he could make some plays for us.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043212/article/cardinals-cut-former-firstround-wr-kevin-white

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

How about swapping Laquon Treadwell for former Bears receiver Kevin White, who was just released by the Cardinals?  He has had a lot of injuries during his time in the league, but if he isn't depended upon to play a lot, maybe he could make some plays for us.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043212/article/cardinals-cut-former-firstround-wr-kevin-white

Pretty sure I would rather stick with Treadwell for this year.

But if a team traded for Treadwell I would consider bringing White in for a look.

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Pretty sure I would rather stick with Treadwell for this year.

But if a team traded for Treadwell I would consider bringing White in for a look.

Really sad how his career went.  His college highlights were eye popping and I thought he was going to be gooooood

9 hours ago, Krauser said:

What else would Zylstra have had to do to be worthy of a roster spot? He caught all 5 targets vs Seattle including several contested catches on 3rd downs, plus scored a TD. He's making the team, and I think he's WR4. 

It's important to keep in mind that these are preseason games. Stats don't really mean that much at the end of the day. I consider snap counts to be more indicative of roster status. I feel like there are three categories of players in the preseason at each position:

-Players who don't play as much because they're roster locks.
-Players who play a lot because they're on the bubble and coaches need to see what they have or the player needs to be showcased.
-Players who don't play as much because they're unlikely to make the team.

Now let's apply this to the current WR room involving last weekend's game.

We already know we were trying to showcase Treadwell, so I believe the WR bubble will come down to Taylor, Zylstra and Badet for the 5th spot, with Mitchell a likely PS candidate.

Edited by Klomp

12 minutes ago, Klomp said:

It's important to keep in mind that these are preseason games. Stats don't really mean that much at the end of the day. I consider snap counts to be more indicative of roster status.

I get the idea of roster tiers.

In recent years when they’ve kept 6 WR, they’ve kept the 1st and 2nd string 3 WR sets, and no one lower than that.

This year, that would be Treadwell, Zylstra and Johnson for WRs 4-6. With Treadwell on the block, they might only keep 5 or add someone from the 3rd string as the 6th. I guess that’d be Badet given that he’s useful as a returner. 

The post I was replying to originally was VR saying he was struggling to see a WR worth keeping beyond Beebe and Bisi. My point was that I don’t think we can ask for a better game from a depth WR than what Zylstra did vs Seattle. He’s in that second tier with Johnson and Treadwell, and Treadwell is probably gone. He’s playing well. I think he’ll make the team. 

• Like 1

Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer said recently that the team’s reserve receivers needed to “get their rear ends going” ahead of the cut to 53 players this weekend. Jordan Taylor‘s rear end apparently didn’t respond as Zimmer was hoping. The Vikings announced Taylor’s release on Tuesday morning.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/27/vikings-cut-bene-benwikere-jordan-taylor/

• Like 1

If the Dolphins move on from Kenny Stills, as has been suggested, he's someone I'd take a look at to give us something different from the WR 3 spot. Probably would be too expensive on the open market, and maybe Jeff Badet could potentially be the field stretching type for cheaper.