53 Man Roster Predictions 2019 Edition

VonKarman

20 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

The notion that "you don't cut players on rookie contracts" was propagated to rationalize the prior regime's approach to roster building.

Moving on from those who have not earned/do not deserve roster spots is the far, far wiser course of action, as evidenced by the franchise that has gotten rid of the following Day 1 & 2 picks over the past few years, while they were on their rookie contracts

2014 Round 1 Dominique Easley, released in 2016;

2015 Round 2 Jordan Richard, traded for a conditional 7th round pick prior to the 2018 season;

2015 Round 3 Geno Grissom, relased 2017;

2016 Round 2 Cyrus Jones, waived 2018;

2016 Round 3 Vincent Valentine, waived 2018; an

2017 Round 3 Antonio Garcia, released 2018.

Which team drafted Easley again?

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Which team drafted Easley again?

All of those players were drafted by New England though Grissom has been off-and-on the team since 2017. Easley was released because he couldn't fully recover from that nasty knee injury he suffered before the draft that year. He was serviceable in New England, but lost his explosion with the injury. 

12 hours ago, Gypsy1027 said:

Palmy is a great dude! Hope he posts now and then anonymously. Now regarding roster predictions, I am wondering if anyone has noticed the continuing number of free agent running backs the Packers continue to sign, as well as the fact the new guys are definitely heavier? Contrast incumbents Aaron Jones at 5-9, 208, and Dexter Williams at 5-11, 212, to new guys like Tra Carson at 5-11, 228; Darrin Hall at 6-0, 217 and absolute new guy Keith Ford at 5-10, 219. Is management/coaching looking for more durability or power to get a yard on third down? Or is it that they are still looking for a proper running back fit for LaFleur's outside zone system? I am wondering if Dexter Williams should be considered a shoe-in for the third halfback job.

I certainly have and referenced that in another thread. Again, kinda hoped we'd bring in Foreman.

46 minutes ago, Joe said:

All of those players were drafted by New England though Grissom has been off-and-on the team since 2017. Easley was released because he couldn't fully recover from that nasty knee injury he suffered before the draft that year. He was serviceable in New England, but lost his explosion with the injury. 

You mean the Patriots?  ...and Belichick? 

I'm being sarcastic, just pointing out that the best team in the league routinely cuts bait with guys they flat out missed on.  No harm in that.  No egg on the face.  It is part of the life of a general manager.  

I think they even let Malcolm Brown walk in free agency this year.  They didn't release him, just didn't try too hard to re-sign him when the rookie deal was up.

And that was interesting to me, I liked him coming out.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You're advocating cutting guys you spent significant assets on to prove a message.  I stay that's a stupid idea.

You have consistently stated that "you don't cut players (drafted in rounds 1-3 like Jason Spriggs) on rookie contracts.

This statement is both demonstrably false and premised upon a provably flawed proposition -- that moving on from high draft picks who are still on their rookie deals is necessarily detrimental to a team's performance.

As noted above, the record reveals that the Patriots have gotten rid of 6 day 1 or day 2 draft selections before their rookie deals expired since 2014 (so far). 

That NE's jettisoning of so many recent high draft picks (while still on their rookie deals) was not "a stupid idea" is demonstrated by the fact that the Pats have appeared in the last 3 Super Bowls, winning 2 of them. 

In NE, roster spots are obviously not reserved for high draft picks who are still on rookie deals and I certainly have advocated for a change in GB to mirror this approach to roster-building for a number of years now.

Fortunately, from my perspective, Gute's actions vis-a-vis his willingness to move on from high draft picks who are still on their rookie deals suggests he views the idea that you simply "don't cut players on rookie contracts" to be as stupid as Bill Belichik obviously does.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

As noted above, the record reveals that the Patriots have gotten rid of 6 day 1 or day 2 draft selections before their rookie deals expired since 2014 (so far). 

That NE's jettisoning of so many recent high draft picks (while still on their rookie deals) was not "a stupid idea" is demonstrated by the fact that the Pats have appeared in the last 3 Super Bowls, winning 2 of them.

The Patriots worship in this forum is nauseating. Now we're praising them for being terrible drafters? Green Bay also cut players like Thornton and Montgomery during their rookie deals. Were you praising them for it or complaining that they were huge busts and shouldn't have been drafted in the first place?

New England wins because Belichick is the GOAT coach (not GM) and because they have a top QB that accepts being paid like a middle of the road one because he's rolling in cash from his hot wife anyway. Stop using them as an example for anything and everything as if replicating all they do is a surefire path to success.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Also the open secret (or nefarious rumor) about Brady’s salary is that Kraft has promised him millions post-career to accept the lower offers. 

In addition to Gift Certificates to his favorite massage parlor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

The Patriots worship in this forum is nauseating. Now we're praising them for being terrible drafters? Green Bay also cut players like Thornton and Montgomery during their rookie deals. Were you praising them for it or complaining that they were huge busts and shouldn't have been drafted in the first place?

New England wins because Belichick is the GOAT coach (not GM) and because they have a top QB that accepts being paid like a middle of the road one because he's rolling in cash from his hot wife anyway. Stop using them as an example for anything and everything as if replicating all they do is a surefire path to success.

BINGO!!  The Pack, under TT, was D&D all the way.  TT had to keep those rookies on their initial deals because he was overly reluctant to use FA to fill holes.  That might be changing. So the phrase 'you don't cut players on their rookie deal' was the SOP for a long time.

Gute's willingness to jump into FA opens up the draft to more gambles on talent than TT would've been comfortable with.  Let's see how that works out.  Gary and Savage will be the litmus test.

Back to the OP.....

2- QB  Rodgers, Boyle

4- RB  Jones, Williams, Williams, Grant

1-FB  Vitale

3- TE Graham, Tonyon, Sternberger

7- WR  Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ, Davis, Moore. Shepherd

9- OL  Bak, Taylor, Linsley, Turner, Bulaga, Light, Jenkins, Lucas, Madison

26-Offense (Davis ,always injured, and Moore are first cut possibilities)

6- DL Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Brown, Keke

4- Edge/OLB Smith, Smith, Gary, Fackrell

4- ILB  Martinez, Burks, Crawford, Summers

6- CB  Alexander, King, Williams, Brown, Hollman, Jackson

4- S Amos, Savage, Greene, Jones

24- Defense

P- Scott

K- Ficken

LS- Bradley

I know the chances of cutting Crosby are thin, but I just couldn’t put him on the roster again.

7 WRs has a small chance, but the talent is better there than keeping TE Lewis just so he can block.  Plus, I can change my mind later.  Like tomorrow after the Texan game tonight!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think they even let Malcolm Brown walk in free agency this year.  They didn't release him, just didn't try too hard to re-sign him when the rookie deal was up.

And that was interesting to me, I liked him coming out.

They did. He didn't do much for them.

@Dubz41. I agree with most of the roster, just a couple of lower end disagreements. I see the rather slight Shepherd (5'11", 186) as a PS guy all the way. That would allow one more TE (Marcedes Lewis). I'd also expect one less DL (Fadol Brown) and one more OLB (one of Gilbert, M.Jones, Roberts, Donnerson, Bradley).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

You have consistently stated that "you don't cut players (drafted in rounds 1-3 like Jason Spriggs) on rookie contracts.

This statement is both demonstrably false and premised upon a provably flawed proposition -- that moving on from high draft picks who are still on their rookie deals is necessarily detrimental to a team's performance.

In NE, roster spots are obviously not reserved for high draft picks who are still on rookie deals and I certainly have advocated for a change in GB to mirror this approach to roster-building for a number of years now.

Fortunately, from my perspective, Gute's actions vis-a-vis his willingness to move on from high draft picks who are still on their rookie deals suggests he views the idea that you simply "don't cut players on rookie contracts" to be as stupid as Bill Belichik obviously does.

Back to your whole crap about not reading the ENTIRETY of my post.  You were one of the LOUDEST critics of the Packers keeping Kyler Fackrell on the 2018/19 roster, yet nowhere to be found when he was producing.  That's the EXACT example of why you don't cut a player to make an example.  Who did the Patriots cut Dominique Easley for?  The Patriots were clearly better with Anthony Johnson and his 8 tackles and 0 sacks that year.  He was clearly an improvement over Easley's 2 sacks and 15 tackles from the previous year.  But keep showing your double standard.

On 8/6/2019 at 3:15 PM, Norm said:

No. And I'm very mad at a certain someone over it.

I mean, I fart in the elevator one time as a joke... I thought we were all bros here.  In his defense, it was pretty bad, I did eat a lot of White Castle that night.  But I stand by my decision, it was funny.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Back to the OP.....

4- RB  Jones, Williams, Williams, Grant

7- WR  Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ, Davis, Moore. Shepherd

Here is where I have to take some issue.  Grant and Davis are a bit redundant.  Is there really anything special about Shepherd that would keep him from the PS?  I think we can cut two of these guys and keep McCray and Lewis, or see if Donnerson can learn to football good.

I too am anxious to see what this game looks like.  Maybe Darrius Shepherd has 200 yards and absolutely dominates and I am wrong.  

• Like 1