53 Man Roster Predictions 2019 Edition

VonKarman

36 minutes ago, Cheech said:

So here's a question - why are we all assuming that Lewis is a lock or that we have to keep 4 TE's?  

Yes, the offense utilizes blocking TE's more than before.  But if we're arguing about potential vs production in Kumerow vs Moore, then why aren't we talking about Lewis?  

He played poorly last year.  System issues, sure, but when given the chance he didn't block all that well either.

I wouldn't argue that we have to keep 7 wide receivers, but I dont foresee 4 TE's and a FB being active on game day either.  

I wouldn't mind seeing an extra lineman or DB kept before Lewis.  Or even a waiver claim on a guy who we could develop for a year while Graham and Tonyan take most of the snaps.

Because I'm not that lucky.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Cheech said:

So here's a question - why are we all assuming that Lewis is a lock or that we have to keep 4 TE's?  

Yes, the offense utilizes blocking TE's more than before.  But if we're arguing about potential vs production in Kumerow vs Moore, then why aren't we talking about Lewis?  

He played poorly last year.  System issues, sure, but when given the chance he didn't block all that well either.

I wouldn't argue that we have to keep 7 wide receivers, but I dont foresee 4 TE's and a FB being active on game day either.  

I wouldn't mind seeing an extra lineman or DB kept before Lewis.  Or even a waiver claim on a guy who we could develop for a year while Graham and Tonyan take most of the snaps.

I definitely don't think Lewis is a lock. If Tonyan can show he can block consistently, I don't see Lewis sticking. 

5 hours ago, deathstar said:

Post first preseason game:

QB - Rodgers, Kizer, Boyle

RB - Jones, Williams, Williams

FB - Vitale

TE - Graham, Tonyan, Lewis, Sternberger

WR - Adams, MVS, Allison, Kumerow, Davis, EQ

OL - Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Turner, Bulaga, Jenkins, Light, McCray, Madison

DL - Clark, Adams, Lowery, Keke, Lancaster, Looney

OLB - Smith, Smith, Gary, Ramsey

ILB - Martinez, Bolton, Summers

CB - Alexander, King, Williams, Brown, Jackson, Hollman, Sullivan

S - Amos, Savage, Greene, Jones

Wow, you're keeping Ramsey over Fackrell. That's a shocker. The rest of it seems entirely plausible. 

1 hour ago, Cheech said:

Because we're running an offense where the TE is significantly more valuable than it was in previous rosters.  And aside from Marcedes Lewis, which other TEs do you feel fairly confident can in-line block?  We've seen Jimmy Graham do it, and it's not pretty.  Jace Sternberger struggled with it in college, and he wasn't good at it either.  I can't imagine he's going to fair much better in the pros.  So unless Robert Tonyan suddenly figures out how to do it, you're going to be bringing in an extra OL if you're wanting to go with a jumbo package and if we're being honest that just tends to make things worse for us in terms of flexibility and keeping defenses guessing.  That 500k guarantee doesn't keep him on the roster, but it certainly influences it.

2 hours ago, Cheech said:

I do see 4 TEs and a FB on the roster.  We will see how much Lewis is on the field in the next two games.  Lewis is a veteran presence that will help the running game while Tonyan and Sternberger grow into the role.  I would be very surprised to see much production from Sternberger this season.

4 hours ago, Cheech said:

My guess is Sternberger will be a healthy scratch until injuries force him on the 46.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because we're running an offense where the TE is significantly more valuable than it was in previous rosters.  And aside from Marcedes Lewis, which other TEs do you feel fairly confident can in-line block?  We've seen Jimmy Graham do it, and it's not pretty.  Jace Sternberger struggled with it in college, and he wasn't good at it either.  I can't imagine he's going to fair much better in the pros.  So unless Robert Tonyan suddenly figures out how to do it, you're going to be bringing in an extra OL if you're wanting to go with a jumbo package and if we're being honest that just tends to make things worse for us in terms of flexibility and keeping defenses guessing.  That 500k guarantee doesn't keep him on the roster, but it certainly influences it.

Tonyan is starting to look serviceable.  The thing is, I'm not confident that Lewis can be the force he once was in the running game.  He was really inconsistent last year.  And if he doesn't run block at a very high level, then I dont see the value in keeping him around.  

I also think we will see a lot of 2 back sets with Vitale, which will take more opportunities from the #3 TE, which I think Lewis will be.  

If we do go with 4 TE's I'm just wondering out loud if we couldn't get a 2 or 3 year vet (at cut-down) who can block and offer a bit more as a receiver or on special teams.  

3 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Tonyan is starting to look serviceable.  The thing is, I'm not confident that Lewis can be the force he once was in the running game.  He was really inconsistent last year.  And if he doesn't run block at a very high level, then I dont see the value in keeping him around. I also think we will see a lot of 2 back sets with Vitale, which will take more opportunities from the #3 TE, which I think Lewis will be. If we do go with 4 TE's I'm just wondering out loud if we couldn't get a 2 or 3 year vet (at cut-down) who can block and offer a bit more as a receiver or on special teams.  

Listened to a podcast which posited this theory as well: Vitale's abilities and presence may be pushing Lewis towards the bubble.

16 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I can't believe I'm catastrophizing about a fullback in mid-August after one missed practice, but the lack of updates on Vitale's calf injury combined with the signing of Bohanon has me worried.

Now there's a good entry in the daily Word Of The Day contest....

Catastrophizing is an irrational thought a lot of us have in believing that something is far worse than it actually is. Catastrophizing can generally can take two different forms: making a catastrophe out of a current situation, and imagining making a catastrophe out of a future situation.

11 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I can't believe I'm catastrophizing about a fullback in mid-August after one missed practice, but the lack of updates on Vitale's calf injury combined with the signing of Bohanon has me worried.

11 hours ago, Leader said:

Now there's a good entry in the daily Word Of The Day contest....

Catastrophizing is an irrational thought a lot of us have in believing that something is far worse than it actually is. Catastrophizing can generally can take two different forms: making a catastrophe out of a current situation, and imagining making a catastrophe out of a future situation.

Throw in a penectomy and we’d have a catastrada running around worrying about our fullback situation.

I thought Bohannon was a good pick up for us. [green font] Kick the tires at vet minimum and see what happens. [/green font] If MLF is determined to employ a fullback it might as well be the best one we can find. Vitale’s recent success was fun to hear about and I hope he is back soon.

—though by saying anything at all about the fullback position I worry that AG20 will be moved to fill up the reservoir on his keyboard with a fresh batch of sulphuric acid and start smacking away. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Think he's the Antonio Morrison of FBs.

Hmmmmm...okay. Got that....but there was actually a place and need for Morrison.

We're not keeping more than one FB and from what everybody's been saying Vitale's been lighting it up.
So - is this guy a short term body till Vitale gets well (?) or he have a legit shot?

33 minutes ago, Leader said:

Dont know anything about him.
Dont know the injury status of Vitale.
Is Bohannon anything more than a camp body?

From my understanding, Bohanon is kind of the anti-Vitale as fullbacks go. Which is to say, he's a prototypical run blocker and not near as intriguing an offensive threat.

Of note, he played every game in Jacksonville the past two years, including that deep playoff run with our new OC Hackett.

• Like 1