53 Man Roster Predictions 2019 Edition

VonKarman

One of my biggest pet peeves is whenever I see those 53 man predictions is how some people put very little thought to STs with regards to bottom of the roster players. Sometimes it's as if gunners, returners and ST aces don't exist. xD

Offense: 26

QB (2) Rodgers, Kizer

I think we need to show Kizer some patience. Kizer is a year younger than Tribusky, Goff and Mayfield. He's also younger than Mahomes and Watson. He needs to be given another year. He has the tools and he just need to settle into an offensive system and it appears on paper he is a good it for LaFleur's offence.

RB (4) Jones, Williams, Williams, Grant

This group picks itself. Grant is going to be a very useful gadget player and ST returner.

FB (1) Vitale

The fullback is back and in this offence LaFleur requires fullbacks who can catch the ball. Vitale is the most obvious beneficiary due to his receiving background in college. This guy is going to be a fan favourite. I can feel it in my bones. 

TE (4) Graham, Sternberger, Tonyan, Lewis

I want to cut Lewis here but I think we will see quite a bit of 12 Personnel and so he will be needed as a blocker.

WR (6) Adams, Valdes-Scantling, Allison, St. Brown, Kumerow, Davis

Since it appears we are going to incorporate Kyle Shanahan's style offence which has lots of 21 Personnel. With the reduced number of 3 WR sets it makes little sense to carry more than 6 WRs.  Gun to the head I think Davis and Kumerow takes the final two spots. Davis is too important on ST, Kumerow has Rodgers trust. Moore hasn't shown anything yet to suggest he should have a roster spot. As far as I can tell he doesn't have a role on special teams either and that is the clincher for me. Packers receivers are not usually claimed off waivers so cutting Moore would be a calculated risk to stash him on the practice squad.

OL (9) Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Turner, Linsley, Jenkins, Madison, Pankey, Nijman, De Beer

This is where I got very adventurous with my selections. The ZBS requires the OL to be fairly athletic and mobile. Our entire offence is run through the OL so it's critical that the OL is up to the task of carrying out their roles. It is for that reason alone that our least athletic linemen Taylor and McCray will get cut. I have historical evidence to back this theory up. Our offence will be styled on Kyle Shanahan's offence. Just looking at the OL during the Falcons superbowl run in 2016 I took the athletic measurables of every OL and compared them to ours.

Totalling 23 players, of the top 13 players 7 of them were Falcons.  Out of the bottom 10 players only 1 was a Falcon. So clearly Shanahan placed a very high premium on athletic OL for his offence and you can safely bet LaFleur will also place a very high premium on athletic OL for his and this is why I strongly believe Taylor and McCray days are numbered. These two were right at the bottom. I'm pretty sure if we look at the 49ers OL too we will see more of the same thing.

The bad news is we don't have enough "athletic" backup guards. Pankey, Patrick, Madison were all just outside the top 13. LaFleur will have no choice but to make do with some of them unless we trade/waivers/pick someone up off the street. 

If you haven't figured it out already, I'm predicting that Turner and Jenkins will be our starting guards surrounded by the experienced trio of Bakhtiari, Linsley and Bulaga.

In theory Spriggs should be our main backup tackle and he absolutely fits the athleticism requirements however I have so little confidence in him that I can see us moving on from him and instead give a shot to Nijman and/or De Beer. I'm keeping both cos why the hell not!

Defense: 23 (24)

DL (5) Clark, Lowry, Adams, Lancaster, Keke

This group picks itself.

OLB (5) Z'Smith, P'Smith, Gary, Fackrell, Donnerson

This group picks itself. Donnerson is the wildcard as he is there on athleticism alone however it could make him a special teams demon.

ILB (3) Martinez, Burks, Crawford

This group picks itself. Crawford is a lock for special teams. Summers does not make it due to Josh Jones versatility. We're going to be in nickle the majority of the time and so it makes little sense to stock up on ILB.

CB (6/7) Alexander, King, Jackson, Brown, Hollman, Willams, (7th pick)

This group picks itself. I think there is room for a 7th defensive back but I haven't quite made my mind up as to who it will be. Maybe I will just give the 53rd spot to Moore to make 7 WRs.

S (4) Amos, Savage, Greene, Jones

This group picks itself. I seriously considered Jamerson but I feel Davis and Grant will suffice as returners. 

ST: 3

K (1) Crosby

P (1) Scott

LS (1) Bradley

• Like 1

One of my biggest pet peeves when looking at these 53 man roster predictions is how little thought some people put into the actual talent of a player and instead make projections based off of athletic testinng numbers.

You've just cut our 3rd and 4th tackles for what purpose?  That maybe one or two of these UDFA's will be slightly better in the run game?  Yuck.  Light has been making strides as a swing tackle, and if anyone on the line will benefit from the scheme change it will be Spriggs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cheech said:

One of my biggest pet peeves when looking at these 53 man roster predictions is how little thought some people put into the actual talent of a player and instead make projections based off of athletic testinng numbers.

You've just cut our 3rd and 4th tackles for what purpose?  That maybe one or two of these UDFA's will be slightly better in the run game?  Yuck.  Light has been making strides as a swing tackle, and if anyone on the line will benefit from the scheme change it will be Spriggs.

He's obsessed with getting rid of anyone TT brought in. No reason to worry about it beyond that.

22 hours ago, deathstar said:

They're playing Vitale as a lone back in some shot gun sets, like Kuhn back in the day. That third QB isn't as valuable as someone like Lewis or Moore, IMO. 

They might not be as valuable as Lewis or Moore, but given Rodgers' age and recent injury history you'd have to imagine there's a STRONG chance we're carrying 3 QBs to start the year.  We've carried 3 QBs to start the season all but twice since 2012.  We rolled with Aaron Rodgers and B.J. Coleman in 2013 and Aaron Rodgers and Brett Hundley in 2017.  After the whole QB debacle after the Rodgers' injury, I feel fairly confident we're carrying 3 QBs.

19 hours ago, Chili said:

One of my biggest pet peeves is whenever I see those 53 man predictions is how some people put very little thought to STs with regards to bottom of the roster players. Sometimes it's as if gunners, returners and ST aces don't exist. xD

Kickers aren't people, but otherwise I'd agree.  When you're talking about bottom of the depth chart, you're usually referring to developmental types and those who offer ST value.

3 hours ago, Norm said:

He's obsessed with getting rid of anyone TT brought in. No reason to worry about it beyond that.

I don't even think that's it.  I think the problem is people don't realize you don't cut players on rookie contracts.  The cap savings are minimal, and you're really not replacing them with someone whose clearly better.  You don't cut guys like Spriggs.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

given Rodgers' age and recent injury history you'd have to imagine there's a STRONG chance we're carrying 3 QBs to start the year.

DeShone Kizer with two brutal deep balls to end his two-minute drill. One caught by Packers staffer 5 yards beyond right sideline and the other landed nowhere near a receiver. Kizer tapped his chest and took fault.

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

DeShone Kizer with two brutal deep balls to end his two-minute drill. One caught by Packers staffer 5 yards beyond right sideline and the other landed nowhere near a receiver. Kizer tapped his chest and took fault.

I'd like to say that Kizer is your darkhorse cut candidate, but I can't escape the fact that you don't cut players on rookie contracts.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd like to say that Kizer is your darkhorse cut candidate, but I can't escape the fact that you don't cut players on rookie contracts.

From The Athletic

"By this point, Gutekunst and his personnel department have seen plenty of Kizer. They evaluated him during the pre-draft process in 2017, during which the Packers were quite fond of him, and then saw 15 games with Kizer under center as a rookie starter in Cleveland. They evaluated him again during his first spring with former coach Mike McCarthy after acquiring Kizer via trade and then saw six games of live action between the exhibition season and appearances in both Week 1 and Week 17 when Rodgers was hurt "

We can add the 2019 offseason, OTAs and now TC to the list.
By now the Packers should know what they have in Kizer - an erratic QB with accuracy and decision-making concerns

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Do you think they'd then roll with Boyle or a case where they brought someone in, if they did cut him

10 minutes ago, Norm said:

Do you think they'd then roll with Boyle or a case where they brought someone in, if they did cut him

I really like that other kid at QB.  Huge arm.  Pretty big and nimble.  Always forget his name, but he's an interesting prospect.

11 minutes ago, Norm said:

IF they bring in a new QB, he probably wouldn't know the offense well enough to be useful for a few weeks 
(unless he came from a Shanahan/McVay team ) So you'd have to bet on Boyle to be QB2 for the early part of the season.
Its an interesting decision and both Boyle and Kizer will get plenty of snaps in preseason

46 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Does anyone else get the vibe J Williams might cut? Between missing time and just being mediocre in general, his spot is more 70-30 than a sure thing

I think Grant and the rookie will have to knock people's socks off at camp for that to happen.