53 Man Roster Predictions 2019 Edition

VonKarman

QB: Aaron Rodgers | Tim Boyle (2)
RB: Aaron Jones | Jamaal Williams | Dexter WilliamsDanny Vitale (4)
WR: Davante Adams Geronimo Allison | Marquez Valdes-Scantling | Equanimeous St. Brown | Trevor Davis | J'Mon Moore | Jake Kumerow  (7)
TE: Jimmy Graham | Robert Tonyan Jr. | Marcedes Lewis | Jace Sternberger (4) 
OL: David Bakhtiari | Bryan Bulaga | Corey Linsley | Lane Taylor | Billy Turner | Elgton Jenkins Jason Spirggs | Cole Madison | Alex Light  (9) 

DL: Kenny Clark | Dean Lowry | Montravius AdamsTyler Lancaster | Kingsley Keke Fadol Brown (6)
EDGE: Za'Darius Smith | Rashan Gary Preston Smith | Kyler Fackrell | Reggie Gilbert (5) 
ILB: Blake Martinez | Oren Burks | James Crawford (3)
CB: Jaire Alexander | Kevin King | Tramon Williams | Josh Jackson | Ka'Dar Hollman | Tony Brown (6)
S: Adrian Amos | Darnell Savage Jr. Raven Greene | Josh Jones (HYB)  (4)

6 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

QB: Aaron Rodgers | Tim Boyle (2)
RB: Aaron Jones | Jamaal Williams | Dexter WilliamsDanny Vitale (4)
WR: Davante Adams Geronimo Allison | Marquez Valdes-Scantling | Equanimeous St. Brown | Trevor Davis | J'Mon Moore | Jake Kumerow  (7)
TE: Jimmy Graham | Robert Tonyan Jr. | Marcedes Lewis | Jace Sternberger (4) 
OL: David Bakhtiari | Bryan Bulaga | Corey Linsley | Lane Taylor | Billy Turner | Elgton Jenkins Jason Spirggs | Cole Madison | Alex Light  (9) 

DL: Kenny Clark | Dean Lowry | Montravius AdamsTyler Lancaster | Kingsley Keke Fadol Brown (6)
EDGE: Za'Darius Smith | Rashan Gary Preston Smith | Kyler Fackrell | Reggie Gilbert (5) 
ILB: Blake Martinez | Oren Burks | James Crawford (3)
CB: Jaire Alexander | Kevin King | Tramon Williams | Josh Jackson | Ka'Dar Hollman | Tony Brown (6)
S: Adrian Amos | Darnell Savage Jr. Raven Greene | Josh Jones (HYB)  (4)

I'm like this list.

I'd keep 7 WR's, but not sure that the club will.

Would love to find a way to keep Sutton at ILB.

If Z Smith and R Gary are to eat some snaps on the DL, maybe Brown leaves for Sutton.  

But...I like your predictions.

• Like 1

from The Athletic

Right now, DeShone Kizer holds the No. 2 spot and Tim Boyle is the No. 3. Undrafted rookie Manny Wilkins from Arizona State seems a distant No. 4, so Kizer and Boyle are penciled in on the 53-man roster. Kizer has shown this camp what makes him so tantalizing, throwing the occasional perfect deep ball mixed in with a stretch of passes that make you scratch your head.
Rodgers complimented Kizer’s improved footwork in the pocket, which he spent this summer in Los Angeles honing with quarterback gurus Adam Dedeaux, Taylor Kelly and John Beck. That, at the moment, has given him a leg up on the backup job, which Boyle can state a case for with strong preseason games.

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:01 PM, JBURGE said:

That's fine, but if Rodgers gets hurt again 6 weeks into the season and we miss the playoffs by 1 game, then what 

We had the offence versus defence debate during the draft. But the consensus was its OK to put virtually all draft resource into defence because Rodgers makes players better - if he is healthy we should have a good offence so it makes sense to load the defence. Not sure I agree with that and its a bit complacent but its the way we've gone so time to see if it plays out.

The natural result of that though is if Rodgers goes down then the offence is near the bottom of the league regardless of  who is QB. I don't see the point in devoting any serious resources into a backup QB who may be the difference between a 2-14 season and a 3-13 season.

If Rodgers goes down for the season then we might as well play for the number 1 pick.  If Rodgers goes down for about 5 weeks  or so then your best bet is to go down a gimmicky offence route and see if Kizer can pull out a win somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

We had the offence versus defence debate during the draft. But the consensus was its OK to put virtually all draft resource into defence because Rodgers makes players better - if he is healthy we should have a good offence so it makes sense to load the defence. Not sure I agree with that and its a bit complacent but its the way we've gone so time to see if it plays out.

Do this and you threaten to have a Miami, Dan Marino type offense. They never gave him enough good players.

2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

The natural result of that though is if Rodgers goes down then the offence is near the bottom of the league regardless of  who is QB. I don't see the point in devoting any serious resources into a backup QB who may be the difference between a 2-14 season and a 3-13 season.

If Rodgers goes down for the season then we might as well play for the number 1 pick.  If Rodgers goes down for about 5 weeks  or so then your best bet is to go down a gimmicky offence route and see if Kizer can pull out a win somewhere.

This assumes Rodgers goes down in game 1 of the season. Suppose Rodgers goes down (at any point in the season) for 4 games. If the backup QB can split those 4 games, there could still be a fine chance of postseason play. How valuable a good backup QB is, is an entirely situational thing, which by it's very nature is very difficult to predict.  the Packers have had wins from some unlikely backup QBs in the past. I was about to say I would never play for a number one pick, but if the chance was to get someone like QB Lawrence with that pick, I would have to think hard about that.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:57 PM, CWood21 said:

You can pretty much pencil in Davante Adams, MVS, and ESB as roster locks for the WR spot.  Adams is obvious, but between the draft capital used on ESB and MVS and what they showed as rookies, they'd need to be absolute flops in preseason to be on the outside looking in.  You can probably push Geronimo Allison into that group as well.  So you're essentially down to 2 spots between Trevor Davis, Jake Kumerow, J'Mon Moore, and the slew of UDFAs.  Trevor Davis probably has the leg up because of his ST value, and Moore vs. Kumerow would likely need to see Kumerow come out and do really well to get a nod over Moore.

Welp, that's as good a start as anybody could ever get. 4 PS games of that and he could make somebody into trade bait.

Edited by HyponGrey

I think the Packers should dump all these backup qb's and try to find a veteran who has displayed some accuracy and game management abilities.  You can't play Kizer .. he's a turnover machine.  Boyle isn't very accurate and is inexperienced, so you hate to count on him for anything.  Manny Wilkens is just a long range project type.  Seriously .. season over if any of these guys has to play expended time.  Even getting a seasoned backup would probably kill our season, but perhaps we'd have a fighting chance.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the Packers should dump all these backup qb's and try to find a veteran who has displayed some accuracy and game management abilities.  You can't play Kizer .. he's a turnover machine.  Boyle isn't very accurate and is inexperienced, so you hate to count on him for anything.  Manny Wilkens is just a long range project type.  Seriously .. season over if any of these guys has to play expended time.  Even getting a seasoned backup would probably kill our season, but perhaps we'd have a fighting chance.

Even more reason to keep AR clean (so to speak....) by fashioning the offense so he's actually getting the ball out of his hand, not holding it and "improvising things" as the D comes in to crush him. It actually can be done.

Edited by Leader

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Maybe we can convince Mark Sanchez to come out of retirement.

10 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Do this and you threaten to have a Miami, Dan Marino type offense. They never gave him enough good players.

This assumes Rodgers goes down in game 1 of the season. Suppose Rodgers goes down (at any point in the season) for 4 games. If the backup QB can split those 4 games, there could still be a fine chance of postseason play. How valuable a good backup QB is, is an entirely situational thing, which by it's very nature is very difficult to predict.  the Packers have had wins from some unlikely backup QBs in the past. I was about to say I would never play for a number one pick, but if the chance was to get someone like QB Lawrence with that pick, I would have to think hard about that.

Of course its very situational.

I just think there are very few scenarios where having a really good backup (with our current roster) is worth it. Your example is one where it would be worth it. But given the lack of investment draft wise in the offence, you would probably have to pay a lot to get a backup good enough to be confident of going 2-2 in those games. 

I'm not sure I would want to invest a good chunk of money into a high end backup on the off chance Rodgers gets a 4 week injury where 2 wins in those 4 games gets you into the playoffs.

I was being flippant regarding playing for the number 1 pick. The point is that if Rodgers goes down for a long period, we aren't going to compete. I'm not interested in paying for an expensive backup just to turn a 2-14  season into a 4-12 season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

My only prediction is that Kiser does not make the roster and is traded.

Shouldn't have been traded for in the first place. I think you Alex and I were one of the few that didn't like it right away. And now finally people have come around and I didn't even hate the prospect THAT much. 

18 minutes ago, Norm said:

Shouldn't have been traded for in the first place. I think you Alex and I were one of the few that didn't like it right away. And now finally people have come around and I didn't even hate the prospect THAT much. 

Yeah, I was LIVID.  I hated it more than any trade the Packers have made since I have watched them.

I got ridiculed for hating the move by the usual suspects too high on Thompson being gone to think for themselves.  And also Ray.

It was a bad trade.  They happen.  I just wish more people would acknowledge it.

Randall is a hell of a safety and we got a terrible QB and moved up in the 4th/5th.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I was LIVID.  I hated it more than any trade the Packers have made since I have watched them.

I got ridiculed for hating the move by the usual suspects too high on Thompson being gone to think for themselves.  And also Ray.

It was a bad trade.  They happen.  I just wish more people would acknowledge it.

Randall is a hell of a safety and we got a terrible QB and moved up in the 4th/5th.

But GB was able to draft Vince Biegel!!!

• Like 1