BDL 2019 Summer Owners Meeting - Completed

SirA1

It's that time again unfortunately. We're going with a similar format as the Spring Meeting where there will be a discussion period followed by a voting period.

I'm going to set the voting start time for 2pm EST each day. I'll try and update the Topic in the thread title.

BDL Summer Meeting Topics

Topic 1 - Remove Year round 3 Ups and align them with 3 Downs so that everything is done in one time period. Only 1-2 owners even use year round 3 ups to get a better discount. This levels the playing field and also makes things cleaner and simpler.

Proposed time period (Monday after Super Bowl-Week before BDL FA starts)

Yes (9) - Whicker, JLash, Bcb1213, Hockey, RuskieTitan, SirA1, wwhickock, Counselor, Ragnarok

No (4) - Pheltz, MD4L, XMad, Ted Lavie

Abstain (1) - PR

Topic 2 - Remove they Pheltz Rule.

• If a player is a free agent coming out of his BDL rookie contract and has signed a new deal IRL before the year of the 3up, then the owner has to pay 75% of the total IRL contract but end the contract the same year in BDL than IRL. For instance, player X has a BDL rookie contract from 2014 to 2019 at $2000 per year and signed a new deal IRL in 2018 at $10M per year for 6 years. You can either 3up him in 2018 at $7,500 per year for 6 years or in 2019 at $9,000 per year for 5 years. 

If we get rid of year round 3 ups then this is kind of a moot point and it has literally only applied to 3-4 FA in the time it has been in effect. Having such a narrow rule in place isn’t necessary IMO to balance against the minimal savings a team gets from these contracts.

Yes (9) - WWhickok, Whicker, SirA, Counselor, JLash, Hockey, RuskieTitan, PR, Ragnarok

No (1) - TedLavie

Topic 3 - Make the 3 Up value for Franchise Tagged player the normal amount.

• Players under the NFL Franchise Tag can be 3 Upped for 75% the value of the Franchise tag. If the are signed to a long term deal during the same season their BDL Contract can be equal to 75% of the IRL value of the new contract. 

This was originally done to prevent people from going over the cap but with the new Salary Cap rules that is unlikely to happen. Having the value be 75% from the outset and then match at 75% is just cleaner and simpler to understand.

Yes (10) - Pheltz, PR, Whicker, JLash, Ragnarok, SirA, SwoleXmad, TedLavie, Hockey, MD4L

No (0)

Topic 4 - Remove this language as it really doesn’t apply anymore as 3 ups will be pretty standard after being based off of the Avg Salary of a players contract and also all happening at the same time of the year.

• Players who are submitted to the contract committee as 3 Ups are not included in the free agent pool. However, if the contract committee and the team have not agreed on a 3 Up contract by the start of Shark Tank, then that player will be considered eligible for bidding in the Shark Tank

Yes (10) - SirA, WWhickok, TedLavie, Hockey, Counselor, Whicker, PR, Ragnarok, JLash, MD4L

No (1) - Bcb

Topic 5 - Make only BDL UFA eligible for the 3 Up rule. Currently this.

• If the player is an upcoming free agent that is not coming out of his BDL rookie deal, he can be signed at 75% of the value of his remaining IRL contract 

• If a player is under BDL rookie contract but has just signed a new contract IRL, he can be signed at 75% of the value the IRL contract 

• When 3 Upping a player who was RFA eligible but not tendered, the 3 Up offer may not include the value of the a RFA tender.

Again this can be confusing to new owners as to who is even eligible to be 3 Upped. We’ve standardized Rookie contracts now to 4 year deals either as a 4 year deal or 3 years+RFA. Once those players become UFA then you pick out of your best 3 and the rest go to FA. No one has tried to 3 Up an RFA in years and those players should go through the RFA process anyway.

Yes (9) - SwoleXmad, JLash, Pheltz, Hockey, MD4L, SirA, Ragnarok, Whicker, Wwhickok

No (0) - 

Topic 6 - 5th Year Options - Mirror 3 Ups in timing and value.Currently this.

• 5th Year Options (all year long)

• Option 1 - If a real life NFL 1st round player is tendered their 5th year option a team can match it at 100% without using one of their 3 Ups for the year if the player is a BDL UFA.

• Option 2 - If a team wants the can average the higher of BDL players Salary or their NFL Rookie Average with the total of the 5th year option and spread it over 2 years to satisfy the 5th year contract.

This has confused a lot of owners as well, as to the timing and value. Mostly it’s used by owners to save money on the back end and to get around having to free 3 up a player at 100%.

The change I propose is to remove Option 2 and just make the 5th year Option value 75% instead of 100%. This still gives you savings but it’s easier to implement. I would be fine with a rider with a contract matching option like 1 year 3 ups now have. This would compensate for originally giving up the 5th year you used to get from the BDL draft on BDL 1st rounders. 

Yes (9) - Whicker, Wwhickok, SirA, JLash, RuskieTitan, PR SwoleXmad, Hockey, Bcb

No (3) - Ragnarok, MD4L, TedLavie

Topic 7 - 3 Up and Over % - Currently

• 3 up & over (End of Season until beginning of FA) : A 3up & over gives the chance to owners to trade away or for upcoming free agents.

•  If an owner trades for an upcoming free agent, he has to resign them at 100% of his IRL contract. Each owner is limited to one 3up & over per year (either if you trade for or away the player) and a 3up & over will count against the 3up limit for both parties 

• Multiple free agents can be dealt in 3 up and over deals (one from each team)

Again this is something that rarely gets used and usually to the detriment of the receiving party. I could see either 75% or 85% being a better facilitator for these types of deals. 

75% A (10 ) - SirA, JLash, SwoleXmad, Whicker, PR, WWhickok, Hockey, Ragnarok, TedLavie, MD4L

85% B (3 ) - BCB, SwoleXmad, PR

100% C (0) - 

Topic 8 When releasing a player(non 3 down/fa/sub 500 cut) , the team must pay the total duration of the contract money amount immediately .

Yes (9) - PR, SwoleXMad, JLash, Hockey, Bcb1213, Wwhickok, MD4L, RuskieTitan, Counselor

No (3) - WFLukic, Whicker, TedLavie

@Jlash

@BringinDaPain

@MD4L

@pheltzbahr

@WFLukic

@Whicker

@wwhickok

@Ragnarok  @gopherwrestler

@PR

@RuskieTitan

@bcb1213

@Counselor

@Hockey5djh @Taylor091

@TedLavie

@SwoleXmad

Edited by SirA1

Topic #1 is now up for discussion.

Topic 1 - Remove Year round 3 Ups and align them with 3 Downs so that everything is done in one time period. Only 1-2 owners even use year round 3 ups to get a better discount. This levels the playing field and also makes things cleaner and simpler.

Proposed time period (Monday after Super Bowl-Week before BDL FA starts)

I think the downside of this is that the pheltz rule wouldn't be applicable without yearly 3up. So I believe item 2 should be linked. 

Also I'm not sure why we would remove it anyway. Even is used once every 4 year, I don't see the downside of allowing owners to use 3ups year round 

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

I think the downside of this is that the pheltz rule wouldn't be applicable without yearly 3up. So I believe item 2 should be linked. 

Also I'm not sure why we would remove it anyway. Even is used once every 4 year, I don't see the downside of allowing owners to use 3ups year round 

Causes massive headaches of people trying to use current in season deals and new extensions and mashing them together.  More headaches then its worth 

8 hours ago, SirA1 said:

OK. Why is it a terrible idea though? It's the way things used to be 4-5 years ago. The off season was the time for 3 ups/3 Downs.

It's taking away options. 

Oh look X player on a 1 year deal signed an extension and I have the cap to pay them that deal. Oh no I can't pay them and save money. 

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

Causes massive headaches of people trying to use current in season deals and new extensions and mashing them together.  More headaches then its worth 

How many times has it been used. It's a rare occurrence and I don't see why we need to change it. 

It's simple people, if the player doesn't have a rookie deal it can be factored into the extension.