Can't Teach an Old Dog New Tricks

Money

There comes a time when the coaching staff has to change. They don't study the film. They don't keep up with the gimmicks. They don't understand the game. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. His mind is already set. This is how I feel about Keith Butler. He's entertaining. Makes a few good calls a game. But when you have a franchise record in sacks, yet, are 30th in turnovers. This is a complete lack of understanding of the modern NFL. Because pressure and turnovers go hand in hand. Because these guys don't make mistakes. You get there. But you don't get there enough. Just gimme pressure. So he throws it short, because he's scared of the rush. Chaotic blitzes. So his timing is off. Confuse the line. The QB doesn't make mistakes under Butler. I got sacked. 2nd & 17. Chunk play. Just a simple back shoulder. 3rd & 4. Little BS dump. First down. That is crippling to a defense on so many levels. And that's coaching. You know what they want to do. Stop them from doing it. It ain't rocket science.

May I introduce to you Brent Venables. He is the DC of the Clemson Tigers. Of course he is loaded with talent. But so is this team. Yet, they don't get max value because Butler, John Mitchell, Insert DB coach cannot gammer together and put together a gameplan and prepare these men for Sunday. Venables is obtainable. You know why? Because he's coaching in college. I think he's somewhere in the 1.5-2m range. Which is absurd. 

I'd go $3.5m on Venables and make him the Assistant Head Coach to Mike Leach. Venables and Leach. Venables and Leach. Blitzing/pressure type defense and an air raid offense. That's good balance. 30 PPG. 17 PA. 

Once Tomlin fails.

I liked the extension. Usher them both, he and Roethlisberger, out at the same time. 

The time of this window is just about shut. You split with the Browns. You split with the Ravens. And you probably got a 60% chance of sweeping the Bengals. 4-2 is okay. 3-3. No matter how you cut it. Is disasterous. Because then you're 9-7. At best. What are the goals of this team. Maybe win the AFC North. Probably 6-10. And finishing 3rd. If we're realistic. I thought this was the last shot with Roethlisberger. And it's more like a lifetime achievement deal and mediocrity around the corner.

The only way I see this season going well is to strengthen the defense. The offense will produce 24 PPG. To be exact, like 24.7 PPG. And you'll win and lose about the same. There's one more ace in the deck that has yet to be played. Personally, I don't like the guy. He doesn't have a heart. He doesn't love the game. But he does have the ability to make you #1 defense in the NFL. 

It's Jadeveon Clowney  

The Clown Dog. The Clown Prince of No Effort. He walks out of bed and is the best NFL player in the league. He just doesn't care. It's means to an end. It absolutely kills me to see someone like that, but I know with his talent, this town, and with Brent Venables. He can reach his potential. And be like a Bruce Smith type. A constant nuisance.

This is what we lack. There are very few guys in this league that can play the rush LB position. And I don't even think he can play it. Haha. But you can move him around and his versatility is his best asset. Hence, Brent Venables. Blitzing tactician. Clowney is great against the guard. He can line up over the nose. You just wanna move him around all over the defense, because he is the matchup nightmare that Julian Edelman or Danny Woodhead were for the Patriots. It's no different. There's no rules against being smart and creating nightmares on defense. Here it's more like show up to work with your hard hat and have Bud Dupree run into the left tackle for a few hours or so. He never got there once. The QB's jersey is clean. I want the QB limping off the field. His ___ should be brown. His jersey ripped. His shoulder immovable until Thursday. This is called pressure. Knockdowns. And Clowney/Venables can make it happen. 

The Texans are a good trade partner for a multitude of reasons. One - they ain't paying him. That is abundantly clear. Two - they got DeShaun Watson and they're gonna want some of that draft capital back. Three - if you can match them with production on the field this year, they still keep playoff and Super Bowl dreams alive. Four - if you give them a tryout/asset converted into another draft pick, that's what they want anyway. Value  

For example, how the Ravens, Pats, etc. (i.e. Smart teams) beat the system. Is in and out. Sign free agents. Let your free agents go. Year after year. That means you get compensation picks. When you want. And when you're in a year where you let free agents walk, you fill the gaps by trading down and acquiring extra picks. Apparently, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. You let three guys go one year. Trade down. Acquiring three more picks. Then the next year you sign three guys in UFA and make a playoff push. To go with your three compensation picks. Not like sign one middle of the road bum and say we tried. It ain't rocket science. Instead of this, "we want to be Super Bowl contenders year in and year out". It sounds nice. It just ain't feasible, baby. 

Houston also has a weak secondary. And they can't draft a CB to save their life. Sound familiar. Imma give them Artie Burns to start. And what I mentioned earlier is obviously Bud Dupree. Think of him as a replacement. Near value. You get a look at him. Plus, you're never signing him to a new deal. So, it's like the New York Yankees gaming the system and getting a comp pick. Because don't worry about Dorn - he's only high priced. Dorn is Dupree here. Obviously. 

Did I mention I don't even really like Clowney at rush end. It's like a Bud Dupree. No brain. No understanding. But when you move him around. His athletic ability is so superior. No one knows where he's going and he causes confusion. Or just beats the crap out of someone. Because you have to account for him. He's like a DT of the modern game. But I want him on his feet at all times. He's an X Factor. Like Devin Bush. Two X factors and you'll see more turnovers. Guaranteed. 

Mark Barron is scheme versatile. TJ Watt. Tuitt. Heyward. All versatile. Devin Bush. Sutton Smith plays near the line of scrimmage. This is why you need someone who is CREATIVE at DC to draw up plays and get the most out of his players. That's why Brent Venables on a four year deal worth $3.5m per season is considered a prudent investment. You got buyout clauses so if a team takes him you get some money back. What do you clear a year? $100m minimum. Lose the garbage $800k coach. Pump up the sperm count and clear $97.3m. And while you're at it - clear out Tomlin and give Mike Leach $6m per year. What's the problem here. 

Houston

Bud Dupree

Alejandro Villanueva

PIT 4th

Pittsburgh

Jadeveon Clowney

Brandon Dunn

Contract: 6 years, $114m

Edited by Money
Texans Needs. Not Wants.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you see that defense. [Butler]

Did you see that offensive line. [Munchak]

Do you see an overall lack of organization, unity, and focus [Tomlin]

Child, please. Please direct your misplaced hatred towards me. Cuz I ain't _______ reading. You'll see. You goin' learn today. You goin' learn what a long ____ look like today.

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Money

53 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

I truel

Yeah I’ve go mad respect.  The time it must take to put so much detail in so much nonsense just to get a rise out of a few folks.

90 minutes. About the time it would take you to watch the hour long news.

^ check that. This was done in like 30-45 minutes. Clowney is a good shout. But when the DBs play 10 yards off in a game where a QB holds the ball for under 2 seconds. DB might be the better shout. But if you move Clowney around. And disguise looks. Which the current regime couldn't possibly be capable of. The proof is in the pudding. Than basically your between a rock and a hard place.

Ouch.

A standard logical breakdown might look something like this... 

kinda like how a defense gets picked apart....limb by limb

The Texans are interested in a left tackle for Clowney. Because they want to protect Deshaun Watson.

This isn't a Chuks or Feiler. 

It would have to be Villanueva. They had trouble with Duane Brown on a contract problem. What better way than to bring in an Army Ranger that would fit right in the locker room. And be beloved by fans. Not too mention being All-Pro. 

Bud Dupree is included on a "tryout basis". Plugs hole on defense and helps compensatory formula problems. You can re-sign him if he has a breakout year. At half the cost of Clowney. 

You're taking offensive line. So I want some defensive line. Brandon Dunn is a solid depth player. He is fringe starter worthy. Helps leverage Hargrave and replaces McCullers. And provides depth, twitch, and experience to the DL. Despite being only 26 years old and playing five or six years. 

The 4th rd pick is the cost of business. 

Jadeveon Clowney and Brandon Dunn for Alejandro Villanueva, Bud Dupree, and a Steelers 4th rd pick. 

Good day. 

I will play along:  So who do the Steelers then put at LT to protect their aging franchise QB in 2019? We got rid of Bud and have a better pass rushing OLB in Clowney. Our sacks go up and our QB goes down. As you said, Chucks and Feiler are not LT's. Why replace an pro bowl LT to weaken that position to strengthen OLB? Basically, the Steelers inherit the Texans problem or they swap problems and create new ones. Clowney > Bud great for Steelers defense.  However, 4th round pick in 2020 and Chucks at LT< Alejandro V at LT./franchise QB killed/season gone.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Explain my friend?