How should the Cowboys handle Zeke? Re-sign him, that's how.

Runaway Jim

What would you do?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Cowboys deal with Zeke?

• Deny him a new contract and wait for him to return
    • Add money to his remaining two years but deny him an extension
    • Sign him to a new 3 year deal that makes him one of the top three highest paid RB in the league
    • Sign him to a new 5 year deal that makes him the highest paid RB in the league
    • Trade him to the highest bidder

I think they should offer him more money for the two years remaining on his contract, but deny him an extension.

It doesn't make sense to me to have an RB with more than five years in the league making big money.  They are the easiest position to replace with a draft pick and their skills will degrade faster than other players because of the pounding they take.  It sucks to be an RB these days.

I love Zeke, but I think the team would be wise to spend that money on other positions.

I'd offer him a competitive deal for sure. That being said, there is a limit to everything. If he starts asking for money thats really going to set this franchise back then we have to start looking in the draft for another bell cow.

and that is a huge risk we will be taking and I dont believe we could easily replace him as some people in this forum would want you to believe. 

I had a hard time seeing my choice in those options.  I would do somewhere in the middle of the the pay him remaining at top three level and extending him 2-3 more years at near the top salary with not so much guaranteed and incentives that kick in guaranteed money per games available to play next two years 

I just read that we have signed, or are about to sign Alfred Morris.  Don't know if this means the Cowboys expect a long holdout from Zeke or not.  I am not comfortable locking up a RB because the position takes a pounding and skills and production erode before you know it.  Maybe Zeke is the exception.  Maybe not.  Personally I look to the best organization in the league and ask what would the Patriots do?  I think the Pats would draft  RB #1, and assuming he is productive run him as hard as they can for the four years of his rookie deal and possibly the 5th year option.  Prior to the expiration of RB#1's contract they would draft his replacement.  When the time comes RB#1 is released regardless of his production.  Some other team will sign him to a big $ contract and slowly but surely his production would begin to decline.  The Pats would continue to roll along.  

Of course this is a dream scenario and we are not the Patriots.  Jerry will pony up the dollars, we will be hooped with a big time extension for a great player, but at a position where guys decline pretty quick and pretty steep.  

2 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Alfred Morris? They call Zeke's bluff with Alfted Morris.   

Why not? 3 years ago he was the guy they turned to when Zeke made his debut and fumbled.

Morris came in, did a nice job, and showed Zeke how to play with poise.

Seems poetic he is the go to now.

Edited by Rtnldave

5 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Why not? 3 years ago he was the guy they turned to when Zeke made his debut and fumbled.

Morris came in, did a nice job, and showed Zeke how to play with poise.

Seems poetic he is the go to now.

Morris isnt a factor in the passing game meaning every time he is in the d either keys run or knows they dont have to worry about him catching the ball

9 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I’m not sure you can just tack money onto a rookie deal without adding years to it? Veteran deals yes but rookie contracts tend to be more cemented

Good point. It can't be done. Looking at Todd Gurley contract and it sucks...$45m guaranteed. Yuck.  

I believe Elliott is due about $13m the next 2 years. As much as I love Zeke and he's a terrific player, no way I'd want to see that much money wrapped up in a RB. Add an additional year to contract and fully guarantee $17m. I hate it and he'd never accept that, but that's probably as high as I'd want to go. 

4 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Morris isnt a factor in the passing game meaning every time he is in the d either keys run or knows they dont have to worry about him catching the ball

No but you can pair him up with Pollard in 2 back sets. He does give you options in the that regards, forces defense to play both.  

What Morris brings in the absence of Zeke is veteran presence to the backfield group. He been through numerous camps, he can help guide this very young group of RB’s. Teach them the nuances of the position, help break down film study, how to read defenses. Things that young RB’s (young players in general) have a hard time with. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I’m not sure you can just tack money onto a rookie deal without adding years to it? Veteran deals yes but rookie contracts tend to be more cemented

You can’t rip up the final two years of his deal and sign him to a new two year deal?

53 minutes ago, Runaway Jim said:

You can’t rip up the final two years of his deal and sign him to a new two year deal?

I honestly don't know. Maybe since it's non-guaranteed at this point you can. It's just rare and probably not something he'd agree to.