How should the Cowboys handle Zeke? Re-sign him, that's how.

Runaway Jim

What would you do?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Cowboys deal with Zeke?

• Deny him a new contract and wait for him to return
    • Add money to his remaining two years but deny him an extension
    • Sign him to a new 3 year deal that makes him one of the top three highest paid RB in the league
    • Sign him to a new 5 year deal that makes him the highest paid RB in the league
    • Trade him to the highest bidder

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Do we know what Zeke wants in a contract? Like is he being completely unreasonable or are the Cowboys low-balling the guarantees?

The Cowboys don’t want to “reset” the market and Zeke wants them to. I haven’t seen anything that says the dispute is over guarantees. 

21 minutes ago, Runaway Jim said:

The Cowboys don’t want to “reset” the market and Zeke wants them to. I haven’t seen anything that says the dispute is over guarantees. 

Thats my understanding of the dispute. I posted some links. Zeke wants Gurley GTD ($45m) but we started from the #2 (#25m) Bell.

Gurleys contract is stupid. 

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats my understanding of the dispute. I posted some links. Zeke wants Gurley GTD ($45m) but we started from the #2 (#25m) Bell.

Gurleys contract is stupid. 

Yea and while Zeke might want it he had to have seen the SB and saw that Gurley wasnt right and that hurt the market. If Gurley never got hurt last year and the Rams won the SB, i cant help but feel like Zeke would be signed and in camp to a deal he’s happy to have

Not knowing enough about this whole game accrued information, is there a scenario where Zeke holds out, comes back by week 6 (let's assuming we are 6-0 and offense is on fire) could we somehow not activate him and not allow him to accrue any more games without us cutting him?  I imagine the CBA has protections against that, but just curious if anyone knows. 

8 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea and while Zeke might want it he had to have seen the SB and saw that Gurley wasnt right and that hurt the market. If Gurley never got hurt last year and the Rams won the SB, i cant help but feel like Zeke would be signed and in camp to a deal he’s happy to have

Or if Zeke didn't constantly get in trouble during the offseason, he would have a deal. Looking at it that way, I can see why the Cowboys don't want to invest 45 million in guarantees to the guy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Not knowing enough about this whole game accrued information, is there a scenario where Zeke holds out, comes back by week 6 (let's assuming we are 6-0 and offense is on fire) could we somehow not activate him and not allow him to accrue any more games without us cutting him?  I imagine the CBA has protections against that, but just curious if anyone knows. 

Nope, even if we inactivate him he counts as part of the team.

4 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

I’m not sure about the CBA but the implications of doing that i think affect your chances at landing top notch FAs if they’re going to do that

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

Or if Zeke didn't constantly get in trouble during the offseason, he would have a deal. Looking at it that way, I can see why the Cowboys don't want to invest 45 million in guarantees to the guy.

No doubt but in the event that he gets in trouble, doesnt that void some of those guarantees?

10 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

No doubt but in the event that he gets in trouble, doesnt that void some of those guarantees?

That's probably one of the hold ups in the contract negotiations. Jerry and co. would like a way to void the contract to protect themselves in case Zeke gets in trouble again. But why would Zeke agree to a deal like that?

I have been pulling for Zeke to get paid but the way things have been looking I hope the team doesn't anymore. If Zeke expects to be the highest paid RB with no void language in his contract (for off field trouble) I would trade him.