How should the Cowboys handle Zeke? Re-sign him, that's how.

Runaway Jim

What would you do?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Cowboys deal with Zeke?

• Deny him a new contract and wait for him to return
    • Add money to his remaining two years but deny him an extension
    • Sign him to a new 3 year deal that makes him one of the top three highest paid RB in the league
    • Sign him to a new 5 year deal that makes him the highest paid RB in the league
    • Trade him to the highest bidder

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

Exactly the point I've been preaching on here. You drafted him #4 overall. He's lived up to the hype. You've made your bed, now pay the man. Instead we get excuses from Jerry and people that say Zeke is a "sunk cost". This organization struggles with having a long term plan. Here we are into TC and Dak, Amari or Byron is not signed long term.

Funny how Ramsey has been in zero off the field incidents, plays a position that lasts longer and isn't holding out. Yet Zeke was the the better pick.

At the time Zeke was the better pick. In hindsight it now looks like they would prefer Ramsey but it is what it is. But every organization has picks that they would gladly take back and re-pick. Not just the Cowboys. 

Zeke having 2 years left on his contract at this point is just being selfish in my opinion. Both have good points but Dallas ultimately has the upper hand with Zeke still being controlled by the Cowboys for essentially 4 more years. Itll be interesting how this plays out. My guess if possible would be Dallas adding money to Zeke's years left on his contract. Or adding 2 more years. Then letting him walk afterwards 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Zeke really has zero power here..

Part of me just thinks he is skipping camp because camp sucks. 

But his only real leverage is missing real games. Sure the Cowboys retain his rights, but that will be a small consolation to missing the playoffs and getting JG fired. 

50 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Part of me just thinks he is skipping camp because camp sucks. 

But his only real leverage is missing real games. Sure the Cowboys retain his rights, but that will be a small consolation to missing the playoffs and getting JG fired. 

Possible, but Dallas starts season with NYG, WAS, and MIA. 3-0 is very possible without him and any leverage he gained is gone.

I can’t imagine it gets to that point though

• Like 2

What is truly amazing is just how fast our OLine went from being "past their prime," "washed up," and "highly overrated," to media and fans.

To "best of all time," "GOAT OLine," "anyone can run behind them," "I could rush for 1,500 behind this line."

All Zeke had to do was hold out, and our OLine is now better than EVER!!

9 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Possible, but Dallas starts season with NYG, WAS, and MIA. 3-0 is very possible without him and any leverage he gained is gone.

I can’t imagine it gets to that point though

The same Giants team that was getting better throughout the year(won 3 of their last 6 games, and lost the other 3 by a combined 5 points to 3 playoff teams[3 point loss to eagles, 1 point loss to Colts, and us) and nearly beat us in week 17 without Zeke? We beat them by a combined 8 points last year in two games.

The same Washington team that nearly swept us last year with Colt McCoy taking us to the wire on Thanksgiving?

Not sure what you saw last year to make you think 3-0 is "very possible" with or without Zeke.

Without him looks grim though. Very possible we start 0-1, with a tough trenches game against Washington on the horizon.

I do agree that it probably won't get to that point. 

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

What is truly amazing is just how fast our OLine went from being "past their prime," "washed up," and "highly overrated," to media and fans.

To "best of all time," "GOAT OLine," "anyone can run behind them," "I could rush for 1,500 behind this line."

All Zeke had to do was hold out, and our OLine is now better than EVER!!

Did you just pull this entire thing out of your arse? I dont think I have ever read anyone say they are past their prime or washed up. Nor have I heard any one call them the GOAT OL. 

This seems like silly hyperbole to show how much of a Zeke homer you are. 

11 hours ago, DaBoys said:

The same Giants team that was getting better throughout the year(won 3 of their last 6 games, and lost the other 3 by a combined 5 points to 3 playoff teams[3 point loss to eagles, 1 point loss to Colts, and us) and nearly beat us in week 17 without Zeke? We beat them by a combined 8 points last year in two games.

The same Washington team that nearly swept us last year with Colt McCoy taking us to the wire on Thanksgiving?

Not sure what you saw last year to make you think 3-0 is "very possible" with or without Zeke.

Without him looks grim though. Very possible we start 0-1, with a tough trenches game against Washington on the horizon.

I do agree that it probably won't get to that point. 

We've averaged 21.96 PPG with Zeke in the lineup the last two years (16-11, .593, +53 PD) vs. 20.86 without him (4-3, .571, -22 PD)

Is there a difference? I guess. If you take out the games where Tyron is out as well from the latter data set it becomes 3-1 with a +25 differential but these are all small samples. More generally, should Zeke really get 100% of the credit for running through holes an F-150 could drive through against the Lions and 49ers and 0% of the blame when the Rams and Broncos confine him to the LOS? Because that's how fans tend to perceive things.

Zeke gets so much credit for not being there as we got demolished by the Falcons, Eagles, and Chargers 2 years ago (as if off-field unreliability is some merit) that no one actually cares that he was out there for similarly embarrassing performances against the Broncos and Seahawks, or that his return failed to springboard this offense until the Amari trade (17.56 PPG from 2017 Week 16 through 2018 Week 7 vs. 22.27 PPG since).

No one blames Zeke on behalf of the offense when the run game is ineffective, while eagerly blaming either DeMarcus for when the pass rush no-shows... but for some reason, DEs are compensated far better than RBs. I guess it is kind of implicitly understood that those who are independently responsible for their own production have actual bearing on the outcome of games, unlike RBs who are completely dependent on their surroundings, even though no Zeke fanboy would dare to phrase it that way.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

Watching film of Zeke is weird because he makes everything seem easy. This was the case when i studied his Ohio State film. I felt uncertain because he looked like he was handed a ton of yards and space on a silver platter. 

It looks the same now that he is in the NFL. I now think that he has insane vision and a feel for the flow of his blockers and where the lanes are or are going to be.

As far as contracts... I honestly think the cowboys should approach the new triplets as a trio. Dallas should offer 3yrs $13 mill per year for Zeke and Amari - 100% Guaranteed.Then Dak 3 - 5 yr $28 mill per (also 100% guaranteed if 3 yr.) 

I would sell this based on three things:

(1) The opportunity to play on an extraordinarily talented team, as key players are all taking discounts to do so.

(2) The unique opportunity that the Cowboys franchise offers them in endorsement deals. And this also goes back to number (1) and the potential to win big bringing more endorsements.

(3) A 3yr Contract with all guaranteed money allows them the opportunity to test the market again after the new CBA which will allow them to grab more money.

Honestly, if they are successful as Cowboys, it is more valuable than being successful on other teams. No state income tax, and wild popularity would more than likely cover the gap between their contracts and their contemporaries.

22 minutes ago, J Shank said:

Honestly, if they are successful as Cowboys, it is more valuable than being successful on other teams. No state income tax, and wild popularity would more than likely cover the gap between their contracts and their contemporaries.

While this obviously comes up in negotiations I can't imagine it sits well with players. "I should take less money because I play for the most lucrative sports franchise in the world", yeah idk about that one

28 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

While this obviously comes up in negotiations I can't imagine it sits well with players. "I should take less money because I play for the most lucrative sports franchise in the world", yeah idk about that one

And I think you have identified one of the real issues here, ego. The cap makes the fact Cowboys are swimming in money a moot point. But that fact also lends credence to the extraordinary exposure a player has on the Cowboys... which is valuable.

I think it has a bunch to do with agents feeding egos, and people getting in their ear and pointing to others, like look how much he got paid. Well, i agree with Stephen Jones that it is not fair/reasonable to expect Dallas to set the market with all their contracts. People making bad decisions ought not bound others to those bad decisions.