How should the Cowboys handle Zeke? Re-sign him, that's how.

Runaway Jim

What would you do?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Cowboys deal with Zeke?

• Deny him a new contract and wait for him to return
    • Add money to his remaining two years but deny him an extension
    • Sign him to a new 3 year deal that makes him one of the top three highest paid RB in the league
    • Sign him to a new 5 year deal that makes him the highest paid RB in the league
    • Trade him to the highest bidder

Fellow ESPNer Jeff Darlington appeared on Thursday’s edition of Get Up and explained what Werder did to a different degree. According to him this deal “is getting done.”

“I was speaking with a source who has been nails on this since the beginning, who said three months ago that Elliott would hold out and was the first person out there saying it would happen. And he’s saying to me right now that... if you look at this situation for Zeke. Even if he doesn’t get Todd Gurley money, even if he beats out Le’Veon Bell, maybe gets a deal just a hair above that... this is a win for Ezekiel Elliott.”

All of this does sort of have the feeling of things getting close between the Cowboys and Elliott, especially given such a detailed report of where a contract figure might lie.

Reports suggest that Elliott's deal will be much closer to the Gurley deal ($60 million deal with $45 million guaranteed) than the Bell deal (four-year $52 million deal with $27 million guaranteed) and it's likely the Cowboys will make Zeke earn more of the guarantee.

Earlier this week the Cowboys extended linebacker Jaylon Smith, making him a top-5 paid player at his position, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Smith's deal would leave, "less pie" to extend Elliot, Dak Prescott, and Amari Cooper. "There is less pie left. Make no bones about it," Jones said, before repeating "there is less pie."

https://1053thefan.radio.com/articles/source-zeke-returning-cabo-weekend-deal-imminent

11 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

incentive based production is my guess. that and off the field issues etc.. 

JUSY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING.

want the same for Dak.

Lol no I understand what incentives are.

Incentives aren't guaranteed.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Lol no I understand what incentives are.

Incentives aren't guaranteed.

Could be things that trigger later guarantees. But yeah seems kind of interchangeable with incentives there.

maybe they just mean low stakes / natural incentives. Like be on the roster, play 14 games (to protect for another suspension), stuff like that. Or if it’s a 5 year deal, if he’s still performing at the same level after 3, he gets more money in the last two?

but actually reading it I think he meant to say that he will earn, through the negotiations, a larger guarantee percentage than the others.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Runaway Jim said:

It's because he still has two years left on his contract.

Why the Cowboys have any leverage yeah,
but makes sense that he wants to get paid now with how much he gets used.

They can control him for like 4 more years, including this one. By then he'll be used up after that volume.
Not showing up is his only card.