Training Camp 2019 - The Iconic Champion Awakens

brooks1957

1 hour ago, Fatgerman said:

You must think above average to good LT play is easy to find. It's not. You can't afford to F around with that position when we finally have a franchise QB we need to protect at all costs.

We should make some sort of long term bet on Forbes. Any ideas?

Well one of the biggest busts in the NFL prolly over the past 10 years, give or take, was a starter because of injury. He couldnt even beat out the UDFA. He becomes a starter the same time Freddie and Baker were paired together. Pre-Baker/Freddie, the entire OL looked pretty sub par, Post- Baker/Freddie, every linemen greatly improves.

I am heavily leaning that Robinson is a product of Baker and Freddie. Since there is no track record
Heck, Hubbard looked like straight booty the first 8weeks and looked very serviceable the 2nd 8weeks

Also if the Browns were that highly on him, they should have signed him to a longer deal. Cause then he could have been a steal. I think they only gave him that one yr deal to really make him prove it.

Edited by buno67

39 minutes ago, buno67 said:

well I think you had to give him $9m, so he be willing to sign a 1yr deal tho.

I dont know, im not going to sign a bust turn starter huge money because to me, him putting it together for the Browns shows other factors being involved than the player. Makes me think, that they would rather just grab another player and plug them in. 

Maybe you wouldn’t, but it only takes one team. 

I don’t need to list all of the guys who’ve put together a great season before free agency and got paid/overpaid do I?

Teams are desperate to protect their QB’s and desperate teams with cash do desperate things.  Like paying Trent a Brown 15 a year for example.....

34 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I am heavily leaning that Robinson is a product of Baker and Freddie. Since there is no track record
Heck, Hubbard looked like straight booty the first 8weeks and looked very serviceable the 2nd 8weeks

I don’t disagree those guys played a large role in his success.

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe you wouldn’t, but it only takes one team. 

I don’t need to list all of the guys who’ve put together a great season before free agency and got paid/overpaid do I?

Teams are desperate to protect their QB’s and desperate teams with cash do desperate things.  Like paying Trent a Brown 15 a year for example.....

Ok but how many of them were huge busts before that so called big money FA year/contract season?

remember we thought Pryor who looked pretty good at WR was going to get paid on the open market? Now he is on his 4th team since that break out year with the Browns 

yeah brown got paid but he also had hell of a lot better track record then Robinson. Brown is also versatile that he can play RT or LT

Edited by buno67

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Ok but how many of them were huge busts before that so called big money FA year/contract season?

remember we thought Pryor who looked pretty good at WR was going to get paid on the open market? Now he is on his 4th team since that break out year with the Browns 

Right, he did it for one season.  Robinson will have put together back to back good seasons. Not exactly apples to apples.

If two seasons isn’t enough to get paid, what’s the magic number in your head?

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

yeah brown got paid but he also had hell of a lot better track record then Robinson. Brown is also versatile that he can play RT or LT

He didn’t get paid for his versatility, he got paid to play LT, same as Robinson will if he performs well.

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
31 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Right, he did it for one season.  Robinson will have put together back to back good seasons. Not exactly apples to apples.

If two seasons isn’t enough to get paid, what’s the magic number in your head?

Brown did it for one season??? Brown looked good in '16 when he started every game at RT. '17, he was playing just fine until he was lost to a shoulder injury. When he was with the 9ers, Von Miller was calling him the best RT in the NFL. Pats trade a 3rd for him and make him their starting LT. You really cant say Brown has only looked good. Dude showed he is a great OL, no matter what position. 

No you have Greg Robinson struggle with the Rams and Struggle with the Lions. Came to the Browns and couldnt beat out a UDFA. Takes over for injury for the new Baker and Freddie Combo.

Im not sure what the magic number is, but it should be flirting with highest paid LT in the league. If he is asking for that kind of money, let him walk. 

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He didn’t get paid for his versatility, he got paid to play LT, same as Robinson will if he performs well.

His versatile, showed that the guy is one hell of an offensive line. Robinson hasnt shown that abiity. He has shown he is serviceable

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Boy, you are hung up on this bust thing. You know, Jerry Hughes was considered a bust after getting dumped by the team that drafted him, the Colts. Buffalo don't regret having him all these years since, I know that. Some guys just take more time to figure it out.

Edited by Fatgerman
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Boy, you are hung up on this bust thing. You know, Jerry Hughes was considered a bust after getting dumped by the team that drafted him, the Colts. Buffalo don't regret having him all these years since, I know that. Some guys just take more time to figure it out.

I just don’t trust him that with how bad of a bust he was, that he is now the sure franchise LT and that he has to be paid like one.

also Hughes was the 31st pick, not a 2nd overall pick. You can say Indy held him back cause he went right to Buffalo and had issues. Greg struggles with the rams, struggled with the lions, and couldn’t beat out a UDFA. I’m crediting baker and Freddie. 

My tune can change after seeing him play the whole season but after those last 8 games. He looked good but not franchise LT good. Especially to pay him to be paid like one of the top LTs. He has to prove it

I know it’s weird seeing me being negative about a browns player...believe me it feels weird but I don’t trust Robinson. I don’t think he will cost us games but I think the Browns can replace him or find a guy who can play as well for a lot cheaper

53 Man Roster Projection

QB: Baker Mayfield, Drew Stanton

RB: Nick Chubb, Duke Johnson, Dontrell Hilliard, Kareem Hunt

FB / TE: Orson Charles

WR: OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins, Antonio Callaway, Derrick Willies, Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi 

TE:  David Njoku, Demetrius Harris, Seth DeValve

LT: Greg Robinson, Kendall Lamm

LG: Joel Bitonio, Kyle Kalis

OC: J.C. Tretter

RG: Austin Corbett, Eric Kush

RT: Chris Hubbard, Drew Forbes

DE: Myles Garrett, Genard Avery, Chad Thomas

DT: Larry Ogunjobi, Trevon Coley

DT: Sheldon Richardson, Brian Price

DE: Olivier Vernon, Chris Smith, Anthony Zettel

LB: Joe Schobert, Adarius Taylor, Sione Takitaki

LB: Christian Kirksey, Mack Wilson

CB: Denzel Ward, Greedy Williams

CB: Terrance Mitchell, T.J. Carrie, Donnie Lewis, Jr.

FS: Damarious Randall, Jermaine Whitehead

SS: Morgan Burnett, Sheldrick Redwine, Eric Murray

K: Austin Seibert

P: Jamie Gillan

LS: Charley Hughlett

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I know it’s weird seeing me being negative about a browns player...believe me it feels weird but I don’t trust Robinson. I don’t think he will cost us games but I think the Browns can replace him or find a guy who can play as well for a lot cheaper

I respect that. I don't trust him yet, either, but if he plays well this season I'd be satisfied he figured it out.