Training Camp 2019 - The Iconic Champion Awakens

brooks1957

56 minutes ago, sonny44 said:

Experts said he was the best kicker coming out this year, but when I looked at the stats they seemed mediocre.

Seemed Oklahoma thought he didn't have the leg to try anything much over 40. Obviously, I have no idea what opportunities but that was a red flag to me when we took him

It’s really going to be interesting to see going forward how much Air Raid systems take over the NFL. Defense isn’t completely dead, but it’s shifting towards the Big 12 model.

With QB salaries skyrocketing, I wonder if teams hands are kinda forced to adopt that model. Runningbacks and linebackers are treated like expendable cattle. Offensive linemen are not transitioning well from the pros due to college schemes.

I don't consider it a bad pick whether he fails or not.  In the gran scheme of things, it is unlikely anyone we would have picked in his stead would make the team anyhow.  If Wilson didn't fall for whatever reason, whoever we took there likely wouldn't have made the team either.  This isn't the Browns of two years ago.  So taking a chance on a young kicker was worth it in the off chance he works out.  

3 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

There’s really nobody who stands out that was taken after him anyways 

I went and looked at who was selected after him. The only player that looked worthy was Forbes and we got him with our very next pick. 

30 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Don’t justify the pick if Seibert fails. You can call it a wasted pick and that’s fine. Dorsey is a beast but he’s entitled to some misses. It just makes us look like homers when we say “good pick” when we cut a 5th round rookie. It’s cringey IMO. 

I would say it was a bad pick that created utility by making the other player at the position better and forcing them to improve 

26 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It’s really going to be interesting to see going forward how much Air Raid systems take over the NFL. Defense isn’t completely dead, but it’s shifting towards the Big 12 model.

With QB salaries skyrocketing, I wonder if teams hands are kinda forced to adopt that model. Runningbacks and linebackers are treated like expendable cattle. Offensive linemen are not transitioning well from the pros due to college schemes.

I just think with the way the officiating favors passing, going to an air raid type attack is smart. 

• Like 1

I have no problem with us taking the consensus #1 kicker in the draft. It was worth the shot. But when it fails let's not sugar coat it is all I'm saying.

And I would have much rather taken the following players after Seibert:

1. Sutton Smith

2. Jaquan Johnson

3. Oli Udoh

4. David Long

5. Ulysses Gilbert

6. Javon Patterson

7. Rodney Anderson

And a slew of undrafted guys as well.

All of those guys would have made the team and there are a bunch of UDFA's that could have as well.

I also don't buy the notion that us drafting a kicker forced our current kicker to get good.

Again, I'm glad we're arguing about a backup kicker and not what terrible QB we should trot out there week 1. First world problems.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, buno67 said:

Yeah I think Dorsey spent a 5th rd pick to greatly improve the kicking game. It was a young and talented kid and it pushed Joseph. Right now it looks like it has greatly pushed Joseph because a lot of reports say he looks really good so far. Ppl will say if Joseph wins that the Browns wasted a 5th on a kicker but I think drafting that kicker pushed/motivated Joseph. 

He was gold last year too.....in practise.

8 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Question, why is Callaway being relegated to the second team at TC and why is Higgins getting the nod over him?

Because when it comes to being a pure WR, Higgins is better. Calloway is the better athlete but Higgins is the better WR. Maybe that changes in a season to two. Higgins has better hands, runs better routes, and has better chemistry. So he is the #3 WR. 

Callaway runs with the 2nd team cause the Browns are gonna utilize 11 personnel a lot. Also Callaway and OBJ are suppose to learn every WR position. I think for OBJ, to create as much match up issues. For Callaway, just a way to get him on the field when one of the other guys need a rest

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I also don't buy the notion that us drafting a kicker forced our current kicker to get good.

Why not? Competition forces a player to improve or get worse. Wouldn’t you get the message that the team just drafted your replacement, so you better bust your butt to prove that you are the guy. Joseph could have just Conceded, and just waited to be cut because drafting a kicker in the 5th is like drafting another guy in like the 3rd. Seems like Joseph has improved  since the seasons