Training Camp 2019 - The Iconic Champion Awakens

brooks1957

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

At this point Landry is like your wife or girlfriend’s grenade of a friend. We’re going to be at the point that we’re better off and happier without him or his contract but we don’t have a choice. Because we need O’dell and contentment and all that.

I wonder if obj is landrys best freind but it doesnt work the other way around, Landry is a solid receiver, most nfl fans would know him, obj is a brand and global star 

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

At this point Landry is like your wife or girlfriend’s grenade of a friend. We’re going to be at the point that we’re better off and happier without him or his contract but we don’t have a choice. Because we need O’dell and contentment and all that.

You may see it as Landry having leverage, but I can assure you that John Dorsey will try to use that as leverage to keep him here at a discount after this year. Spread current contract money over more years to ease the cap is the only way forward with Jarvis. 

I don't dislike him, nor do I think that he should go. But something has to be done about that contract. It's prohibitive and excessive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ditchdigger said:

You may see it as Landry having leverage, but I can assure you that John Dorsey will try to use that as leverage to keep him here at a discount after this year. Spread current contract money over more years to ease the cap is the only way forward with Jarvis. 

I don't dislike him, nor do I think that he should go. But something has to be done about that contract. It's prohibitive and excessive.

If the CBS jumps a huge chunk like 7-10% it won't matter, none of the old contracts will, from an emotional, leadership perspective we are tied to Jarvis at the moment, he would have to further under preform the contract to get the axe, like 700 yards or something.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/jarvis-landry-14473/#

After this year, that contract calls for Jarvis to earn $45,950,000 over the final 3 years.

Or they can pay $4.5M dead cap hit in 2021 and zero cash cutting him after this season. All $34M that was guaranteed will have been paid out.

If Dorsey feels like being generous, he can help Jarvis save a little face by adding a few million in new money, while also adding a year or two to make his cap hit more closely resemble his role, skill set and production. 

If that contract is not addressed after the 2019 season, I will be very surprised. 

Edited by ditchdigger
I a word
  • Like 2

Just now, brooks1957 said:

@Thomas5737 Re: Dorsey's cap skills - That is why this team kept Paul DePodesta. He sees it from both sides very well. He is keenly aware of Dorsey's need to keep top of their profession athletes on the field for the Browns. He is also very skilled at "capology" - i.e. being able to evaluate the scenarios in play, and advise which ones make that Dorsey's vision a reality.

He is a key lieutenant in the front office.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 6:08 AM, ditchdigger said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/jarvis-landry-14473/#

After this year, that contract calls for Jarvis to earn $45,950,000 over the final 3 years.

Or they can pay $4.5M dead cap hit in 2021 and zero cash cutting him after this season. All $34M that was guaranteed will have been paid out.

If Dorsey feels like being generous, he can help Jarvis save a little face by adding a few million in new money, while also adding a year or two to make his cap hit more closely resemble his role, skill set and production. 

If that contract is not addressed after the 2019 season, I will be very surprised. 

i do think that jarvis will get an extension that reworks his number to give him more money up front but reduce the salary

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mistakey said:

jarvis landry is a 4x probowler and averages 1000 yards 5 tds a year and people talk about this dude as if he's an albatross

smh

Yeah I’ve been pretty adamant since day 1 he was overpaid and not as good as his contract would indicate, but the idea that we’d keep Higgins over him seems... premature, to say the least.

Jarvis is a top shelf #2 WR, there’s really no doubt about that.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I’ve been pretty adamant since day 1 he was overpaid and not as good as his contract would indicate, but the idea that we’d keep Higgins over him seems... premature, to say the least.

Jarvis is a top shelf #2 WR, there’s really no doubt about that.

Overpaid, maybe, but some of the contracts WR got this offseason help with that number. Tyrell Williams for 11 per. Adam Humphries, John Brown, and Jamison Crowder got 9 per. I think Jarvis is a much better overall WR than that group so at 15 per, it is not as bad. Sammy Watkins got 16 per on the open market..

I think Jarvis is going to have a great season. With the focus on Odell and the running game, he is going to get a lot of 1 on 1 matchups this year that he didn't see last year. I think he is going to catch a lot of passes this year and is really going to help Baker move the chains. Jarvis is about as reliable a WR as their is in the NFL.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

Overpaid, maybe, but some of the contracts WR got this offseason help with that number. Tyrell Williams for 11 per. Adam Humphries, John Brown, and Jamison Crowder got 9 per. I think Jarvis is a much better overall WR than that group so at 15 per, it is not as bad. Sammy Watkins got 16 per on the open market..

Yeah that number will look better every year as contracts go up.

57 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

I think Jarvis is going to have a great season. With the focus on Odell and the running game, he is going to get a lot of 1 on 1 matchups this year that he didn't see last year. I think he is going to catch a lot of passes this year and is really going to help Baker move the chains. Jarvis is about as reliable a WR as their is in the NFL.

I think he’s going to have a middling season statistically tbh (too many targets, only one football), but he’s going to make big plays.

I could easily see him being a nightmare for defenses on 3rd down.