Training Camp 2019 - The Iconic Champion Awakens

brooks1957

8 hours ago, pnies20 said:

I would like to see some semblance of a run game this year...

yo remember that 538 research piece that shows that the biggest determination of run game success is formation, not offensive line talent once you pass a threshold?  we're passed the threshold.  chubb will be fine.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mistakey said:

yo remember that 538 research piece that shows that the biggest determination of run game success is formation, not offensive line talent once you pass a threshold?  we're passed the threshold.  chubb will be fine.

Be careful sir, some folks ‘round these parts have no use for nerdly statistics.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Be careful sir, some folks ‘round these parts have no use for nerdly statistics.

They have their place but it all boils down to fat people hitting each other. I’m not all “the sky is falling” about the run game but I think it will sputter for the first several weeks of the season.

3 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

They have their place but it all boils down to fat people hitting each other. I’m not all “the sky is falling” about the run game but I think it will sputter for the first several weeks of the season.

Maybe. 

I think Baker, OBJ, Juice, Njoku, Higgins, etc will put the offense in some good spots and facing some advantageous fronts to run the ball effectively.

I also think people are reading into preseason way too much.

59 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe. 

I think Baker, OBJ, Juice, Njoku, Higgins, etc will put the offense in some good spots and facing some advantageous fronts to run the ball effectively.

I also think people are reading into preseason way too much.

I agree. The truth will come out weeks 2-6. Rams, Ravens and Seahawks will be a huge litmus test early in the season to see where they’re at. 

I'd still love to have a solid #2 TE that would create major matchup issues with Njoku in as well. We could go double tight and run the ball, split out Njoku opposite of OBJ or just put him in the slot and have OBJ, Landry, Njoku, Chubb/Hunt, 2nd TE all on the field at the same time. If they bring in another LB, you can expose the mismatch on the TE/LB or RB/LB in the passing game, and if they stay with Nickel personnel, you ram it down their throats running the football.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I'd still love to have a solid #2 TE that would create major matchup issues with Njoku in as well. We could go double tight and run the ball, split out Njoku opposite of OBJ or just put him in the slot and have OBJ, Landry, Njoku, Chubb/Hunt, 2nd TE all on the field at the same time. If they bring in another LB, you can expose the mismatch on the TE/LB or RB/LB in the passing game, and if they stay with Nickel personnel, you ram it down their throats running the football.

Not to mention a good blocking/receiving option would help out our average tackles immensely.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

5 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Not to mention a good blocking/receiving option would help out our average tackles immensely.

Hopefully Incompletrious can get it together and be that guy.

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For sure.

The Titans should have a pretty good defense too, no?

Meh. I see a lot of them. Their secondary outside of byard is pretty overrated. 

They have Byard, Jurrell Casey and Rahsaan Evans as proven commodities. They have an up and coming pass rusher. 

They have ups and downs. If we play well we should put up some points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

However, Mariota sucks. He’s a weak armed Lamar.

He sucks now (except his arm really isn't weak).  I do believe that he would've been a good/great starter if the Titans hadn't ruined him.

He's getting his 5th different OC this season.  No better way to ruin a young QB than to make him learn a different system every 1 or 2 years.  If the Jets aren't careful, the same thing will happen to Darnold.

I still believe that was a sizable reason that Dorsey chose Freddie for our HC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

He sucks now (except his arm really isn't weak).  I do believe that he would've been a good/great starter if the Titans hadn't ruined him.

He's getting his 5th different OC this season.  No better way to ruin a young QB than to make him learn a different system every 1 or 2 years.  If the Jets aren't careful, the same thing will happen to Darnold.

It reminds me very much so of Alex Smith in San Francisco. 6 OC's his first 6 years in the league. He went from "THIS GUY IS TERRIBLE/A BUST" to an above average QB for playoff teams.