That Time When Forge & Y2 Started a Podcast

y2lamanaki

After a long not even two years of planning (i.e. - sending one outline a year ago after the 2018 draft, and then sending another outline a year later after the 2019 draft, and then waiting near 3 months deciding last minute to do one, throwing an outline together less than 30 minutes before the show and recording it)... @Forge and I are proud to bring to the forum our latest endeavor - the Forge and Y2 podcast. Tentatively titled. We'd love input on that because we didn't bother to spend any of the past not even two years thinking of titles for it. But here is Episode 1: 

Forge, ever the chatty partner, helped us turn this "Let's shoot for 30 minutes" podcast into a near hour-long marathon, but we had a lot of fun with Episode 1. And now that it's out here and is a thing we know we can actually do (we need a lot of improvement with things like "ummm," "uhhh," "you know," and "obviously", but we were able to get through one episode pretty coherently I feel), we'd love to invite you guys to be a part of it to make it a real forum podcast. If you're interested in talking 49ers with Forge and I, let us know. We'll be happy to bring people on board. 

Seriously - let us know what you think. If you think something might help, let us know. We're happy to hear feedback. Not on just the podcast idea, what it can be, recording quality etc., but also we want to hear feedback on our football ideas. Like someone needs to talk Forge back from Dee Ford and his 20 sack potential. I love Ford, but...

Enjoy!

• Like 10

Lol disclosures!!!

Yes, I totally bogarted the mic. I will do much better at letting y2 talk in future editions. That's my bad

Secondarily, everything was off the cuff. Neither of us prepared for what we were actually going to say outside of actually having a topic. Sometimes my mouth moved faster than my mind, and I may have said some stupid stuff. 

It's also possible my son makes a cameo lol

This was our first attempt, but we don't plan on it being our last. There will be some growing pains

Also, special shout out to @y2lamanaki, who basically does all the work on this. I just talk. Y2 edits, created the outline, etc. He's the power behind this, so give him all your likes!!

• Like 1

As y2 said, we'd love input from the forum as a whole. Feedback for the actual pod. Topic recommendations for us to discuss in the future. Podcast names. Etc etc

Also, as he said, we'd love to have additional guests come in!! 

48 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Great stuff there @Forge and @y2lamanaki.  You guys going to do a 49ers draft specific pod?

So the initial pod was going to be a draft specific one...in 2018 lol. Then we did an outline for the 19 class but dragged our heels and now we are at TC. 

I'd like to do one, just not sure where we got it in at this point. With tc open, then preseason, then I'll be out of the country for a week, we will have lots to talk about I think leading into the season. I love the draft though, so it may be something we can do at some point. 

Baby Forge is way more active in this than I thought lol. He was almost a Co host. Next time I'll make sure he's gone for the entire time (he and his mother were out and came home during recording). Or, you know, do it in a quiet room. That's my bad lol

Also, Jesus I say "um" a lot. Especially when I'm considering what to say. Sorry about that

Just now, Forge said:

Baby Forge is way more active in this than I thought lol. He was almost a Co host.

Also, Jesus I say "um" a lot. Especially when I'm considering what to say. Sorry about that

Just out of curiosity, what did you guys use to produce it?

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Yes, I totally bogarted the mic. I will do much better at letting y2 talk in future editions. That's my bad

You are the analyst and he is the color commentator. you are tony romo and he is jim nance

I love the callout of @oldman9er over marsh after what happened in the other thread

To add to @y2lamanaki's point about 2011 vs 2019, I think the back end of the defense was solidified with better coaching in 2011. Part of the reason I actually feel pretty good about our secondary this year, is that a lot of the mistakes we made last year were mental mistakes. We had no clue how to play zone last year, guys were always open, especially in the redzone. It was pathetic, and some of the worst team defense I have seen on the professional level. 

The coaching staff had done a poor job of communicating player's assignments. Part of it was the bad passrush and the amount of guys we rotated in, but a large part of it was just not knowing assignments. That comes from preparation during the week, so I disagree with @Forge about how much blame Saleh owns for a lot of the miscues in the secondary. Our guys werent ready to play. I am hoping that Joe Woods will help clean up all of that. I dont think the 'passing game coordinator' is an empty title. Fangio was the master of creating a gameplan and teaching his players what their assignments are and how to carry them out. 

You guys touch on it later on in the podcast, we didnt add very many bodies, because we feel that we can coach these guys up and fix the easy, stupid mistakes that we were making. 

Ideas for podcast names:

Its Always Sunny in Santa Clara

The Forty Niners Future

Two dudes on the internet with the occasional baby

The Mod's Hodgepodge 

I THINK WE NEED A POLL

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just out of curiosity, what did you guys use to produce it?

Very low-tech - Skype was our meeting/recording technology. Audacity was the editing software. The only real editing done was clipping to eliminate errors and a whole lot of our "uhhhs" and "ummms." I didn't equalize anything and I think it shows at times. 

Overall, it's pretty low-fi.

4 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Going to take a listen tomorrow but first suggestion is to move to anchor.fm . Soundcloud will limit you to a certain amount. Also anchor will put it to all podcast formats. 

This is a great suggestion. Thanks for this. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

So the initial pod was going to be a draft specific one...in 2018 lol. Then we did an outline for the 19 class but dragged our heels and now we are at TC. 

I'd like to do one, just not sure where we got it in at this point. With tc open, then preseason, then I'll be out of the country for a week, we will have lots to talk about I think leading into the season. I love the draft though, so it may be something we can do at some point. 

One of the few future ideas I have for this would be to talk about upcoming prospects of interest throughout the season. Maybe even to the point of talking about forum mocks and that sort of thing. At the moment, it feels both too late for a 2019 draft specific episode and too early for a 2020 one. But it's definitely a topic I feel we'll discuss often.